SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Why do people go full retarded in times like this??

Any given day i have enough food in my house to make it 5-7 days easy and could survive at least 2 months if i had to eat everything with out going to store
The main items I saw last night were beer, wine, and whiskey (the necessities)
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Why do people go full retarded in times like this??

Any given day i have enough food in my house to make it 5-7 days easy and could survive at least 2 months if i had to eat everything with out going to store
Me too. I don't get it. Then they tell you to fill your gas tanks! Why so you can sit in the driveway and watch it ice over with a full tank of gas?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Me too. I don't get it. Then they tell you to fill your gas tanks! Why so you can sit in the driveway and watch it ice over with a full tank of gas?
I filled my tank. Might have to make a run to the beer store.lol.
Worst case scenario happens you will have an extra 20glns of fuel for your generator. Open a fuel line, turn your key on, and jump across the fuel pump relay. Let it fill up you gas cans. If ya doin that then sheet got bad. Real bad.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

I wonder how many of these people emptying the shelves actually don't have enough food to las until tomorrow or Thursday. Unbelievable.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:54 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I lived in snowy places 20 years of my adult life. Two minor accidents, both on ice rather than snow. Slide off the road into a snowbank on one occasion, and took out a neighbors mailbox on the other. Ice is impossible. I don't even try anymore. One great thing about the Air Force Academy is unless you were mission critical, you had a blank check to take a personal day or work from home if you felt unsafe about the conditions given your specific car and route too and from work.

We've always kept a 50 lb bag of rice, 20+ gallons of water, some shelves full of canned goods, a couple propane tanks, and a stack of firewood on hand for winter storms. Our plan in hurricane country is similar, with a bit more water. Either way, I think it is generally a good idea to have enough on hand to batten down the hatches and hunker down for 10 days while order is restored and the shelves get restocked. A couple bottles of wine and some board games are a good ideas also, as well as a way to receive radio and charge a couple of cell phones without the grid.

To have to go out and buy groceries once an event is forecast is unprepared.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I lived in snowy places 20 years of my adult life. Two minor accidents, both on ice rather than snow. Slide off the road into a snowbank on one occasion, and took out a neighbors mailbox on the other. Ice is impossible. I don't even try anymore. One great thing about the Air Force Academy is unless you were mission critical, you had a blank check to take a personal day or work from home if you felt unsafe about the conditions given your specific car and route too and from work.
This,

This really is the thing that all the "northerner's making fun of southerner's" when there is a little snow dont tell you. When a layer of ice goes down first they dont do ANYTHING up north either.

I am amazed at some of the foolish accidents you see down here just because people are not used to it. One little slick spot of ice on a bridge can buy you a one way ticket up to the sky. It is not worth it.

I do feel sorry for business owners (particularly small business owners) who are gonna have a financial impact from this..... But... people's lives must come before making a few bucks.

You cannot drive safely when it's below freezing and there is a layer of ice on the road. The only exception to this is if the salt trucks have been running..... i don't see to many of them round these parts.

Be safe everyone... enjoy the down time.... eat up the old food in your pantry that needs to get eaten up.... and talk a little smack on the internet...

That's what snow days are for!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
This,

This really is the thing that all the "northerner's making fun of southerner's" when there is a little snow dont tell you. When a layer of ice goes down first they dont do ANYTHING up north either.

I am amazed at some of the foolish accidents you see down here just because people are not used to it. One little slick spot of ice on a bridge can buy you a one way ticket up to the sky. It is not worth it.

I do feel sorry for business owners (particularly small business owners) who are gonna have a financial impact from this..... But... people's lives must come before making a few bucks.

You cannot drive safely when it's below freezing and there is a layer of ice on the road. The only exception to this is if the salt trucks have been running..... i don't see to many of them round these parts.

Be safe everyone... enjoy the down time.... eat up the old food in your pantry that needs to get eaten up.... and talk a little smack on the internet...

That's what snow days are for!
X2. After we got up this morning and saw the conditions we decided to not open the shop today. Not worth risking anyone getting hurt.
When I was a volunteer firefighter we had a night of weather like this and it was wreck after wreck all night long. Had to crawl inside an upside down blazer. It was in a ditch and had a foot of water flowing through it. On my back in that crap at 3:30 in the morning. *** were they thinking when they decided to go for a ride?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:29 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
X2. After we got up this morning and saw the conditions we decided to not open the shop today. Not worth risking anyone getting hurt.
When I was a volunteer firefighter we had a night of weather like this and it was wreck after wreck all night long. Had to crawl inside an upside down blazer. It was in a ditch and had a foot of water flowing through it. On my back in that crap at 3:30 in the morning. *** were they thinking when they decided to go for a ride?
I always got a quick laugh at how many people with big ole 4wd were the one's getting in trouble. 4wd dont help you on ice.

The only drive systems i ever saw that could get you through this stuff fairly reliably (if you drove slow) were the one's of the type in the Oldsmobile bravada smarttrak systems. (basically was a limited slip diff both front and back) and with added snow chains. They were the preferred drive types that we would use as a company vehicle when there was inclement weather up north.

Heaven help you if you hit a sheet of black ice going over 20 mph and touched your brakes.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

I want to see everyone out on the roads today and, tomorrow! This is the collision industry's dream! Don't want anyone hurt, just bang up a few cars is all! LOL!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
I want to see everyone out on the roads today and, tomorrow! This is the collision industry's dream! Don't want anyone hurt, just bang up a few cars is all! LOL!
Lmao. Not sure if thats a genious advertising move or not.lol. Business is gona pick up for you after the next two days.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Blue Marlin

Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Lmao. Not sure if thats a genious advertising move or not.lol. Business is gona pick up for you after the next two days.
Farmers pray for rain in the growing season...We pray for snow and, ice in the winter...Hail in the spring...Rain during rush hour...

That said, PLEASE exercise caution if you do have to be out! We fix cars but, we can't fix people!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 AM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,826

I can remember in my early years of marriage, there were several times that I didn't have enough food in my house to go 7 days plus but I kept working hard and eventually developed a nice life for my family.

It's easy to say someone should have this or have that but I have been there and struggled to make ends meet and never took any subsidies.

I've lived in a house that no matter what you did in this type of weather you could never keep it warm which made for a higher energy bill.

I'm glad all you guys are loaded with money but I pray for the less fortunate during weather like this....because I know the struggles they have endured.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
I can remember in my early years of marriage, there were several times that I didn't have enough food in my house to go 7 days plus but I kept working hard and eventually developed a nice life for my family.

It's easy to say someone should have this or have that but I have been there and struggled to make ends meet and never took any subsidies.

I've lived in a house that no matter what you did in this type of weather you could never keep it warm which made for a higher energy bill.

I'm glad all you guys are loaded with money but I pray for the less fortunate during weather like this....because I know the struggles they have endured.
Well said. Please be sure to check on your neighbors, especially the elderly in this weather. If they need nothing at all, knowing you care enough to look in on them will warm their hearts!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:17 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

You know you live in a rich country when most of the poor people are fat. Many of the (really) poor people on earth get most of their calories from a local grain and most of their protein from beans or fish.

I think that most poor Americans could easily have an extra 50 lb bag of rice on hand and plenty of extra water, and probably some dry beans or canned fish or game too. Most of our water is in gallon milk jugs that are carefully cleaned, filled from the tap, and preserved with 8 drops of bleach.

Like most things, those with greater earnings can likely be more comfortable if they prepare for emergencies, but I don't think a 50 lb bag of rice is cost prohibitive, even for most poor Americans. Adults might lose a bit of weight weathering a 10 day emergency on three cups of rice per day, but a lot of the world survives on fewer calories, and one 50 lb bag of rice will feed a family of four for 10 days providing three cups of rice per person each day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rice.JPG (36.9 KB, 203 views)
Old 01-28-2014, 11:35 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Who eats extra long grain rice though? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

I disagree with 4x4 not making a difference.

The problem is people with 4x4 have an increased confidence level, and increase there speeds while decreasing their alertness.

Zambonies are 4x4 for a reason. I drove from Houston last Friday in and out of 4x4 over bridges to test the control, and felt a noticeable difference. I've also lived in the northeast, and drove cross country quite a bit in icy conditions - I'll take 4x4 any day.

In a controlled environment while maintaining identical safe driving practices, the 4x4 will perform better than rear wheel only in my experience.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,545

The large trucks we run are a liability to my drivers and others on the road. For the safety of my employees, others on the road, and customer locations we chose to shut down. Secondly I do not want to gamble on an employee's life coming to and from work. We doubled up yesterday to prepare for a two day closure. It is safe and smart thinking to minimize risk
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 01-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
I disagree with 4x4 not making a difference.

The problem is people with 4x4 have an increased confidence level, and increase there speeds while decreasing their alertness.

Zambonies are 4x4 for a reason. I drove from Houston last Friday in and out of 4x4 over bridges to test the control, and felt a noticeable difference. I've also lived in the northeast, and drove cross country quite a bit in icy conditions - I'll take 4x4 any day.

In a controlled environment while maintaining identical safe driving practices, the 4x4 will perform better than rear wheel only in my experience.

Didn't say that it doesn't help... just said that i get a laugh from folks who think that 4x4 is a cure-all for driving on ice.

with that said.. the majority of 4x4 systems on trucks are actually 2wd ie. front right and left rear have power... only when you have a full limited slip differential system do you really have something close to 4x4.

none of it really helps on ice without something to grip into the ice... (stud tires or chains) but you can make do in an emergency... just keep it SLOW SLOW... (i wouldn't cross a bridge doing over 20mph today for anything)
Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Redfish

Cash: 633

this is soooo us lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1623672_520812721367790_1682388712_n.jpg (38.7 KB, 157 views)