SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 05-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Troop 12 invades Empire

Almost every year since after Katrina I have hosted the Baton Rouge Troop 12 Boy Scouts on my property for Camping out and fishing. This year we had a bit of a twist on the fishing side. I told the mosquito sprayer about what was happening and she came through the yard before they got here. They arrived just after dark as usual. Within 15 minutes the camp was set up with the help of the car headlights.

The efficiency of these kids is always amazing. I got up at 4:15, made coffee and went out back The kids were up and soon after I went out there the fathers also got up.

This year instead of going on the Cougar and my offshore boat for Red snapper etc. I set the trip up to be an inshore trip. There was to be 12 people but 2 of them dropped out. As you will see it was their loss. We had 3 boats and all ran together. The first boat set up on the point which was the best place due to the water flow. I set up close but not in the zone. We still had a lot of action. Our first casts gave us a double. One rat and one just over 16 inches.

We stayed right there and picked through the rats putting a half dozen keepers in the box.

Eventually we moved around a bit just picking through the fish. This type of fishing seemed more suited for the kids. It was a good thing we did not have a rig fishing trip because I am sure there would have been a lot of sick people. The seas were rough. A one place we found a lot of hard head cats and sail cats but also found fish for the box including a pair of flounder.

As you can see we kept the boats together so they could have fun as a group. As the bite slowed we tried to go to another place hoping for a quicker bite. That was a wasted move as the water was all stirred up and muddy. I spent about 5 minutes there and went back to where we started. We ended the day there.

At the marina we put the catch together for a group picture. There was well over 200 pounds of fish yielding around 55 pounds of fish fillets.

After leaving the marina they went back to my place.

They broke up camp as quickly and efficiently as they set things up.

Once again Yard was left spotless without any sign they ever were here. Always a great time with Troop 12 here but I think this type of fishing trip was more suited for them. I think the largest group they had here at one time was about 25. That was not last year but this was last years breakfast.

One of the special things I look forward to each year. It was my pleasure to once again host a great group of fine kids doing something good.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters