SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 06-16-2018, 09:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228
Default what was yalls first boat and first outboard at what age

Mine was a 13 foot aluminum boat with a v shaped front. Fairly deep boat for its size. my grandpa gave it to me when we visited Kansas and I was 10 years old. We went up there in a Buick 4 door station wagon pulling a 16 foot camper. We put that boat upside down on top station wagon and coming back to lake charles looked like national lampoons Moore vacation for sure!! Got back and put a 4 horse johnson on it but it kept having problems so dad bought me a 9.9 evinrude and turned me loose! Him and my step mom would fish out of a 15 foot aluminum boat with 25 Chrysler with steering wheel and I could keep up with them going to the white perch holes!! Bought my first trolling motor the next summer and started Bass fishing. Fun times as a kid growing up on Calcasieu River!
Old 06-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Saved up yard money and bought a very used Sea King 12hp. I was a junior(1968) in HS. Robin's landing in Henderson rented 14ft bateaus by the day. Spent most all summers out there. Could not have a better time back then.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Email Address Not Verified

Cash: 111

Right about 1984 my cousins and I pieced together a 1236 jon boat with a 1968 18 horse evinrude. Talk about did everything with that boat. Fishing, frogging, hydro-sliding, camping out on the sandbars out of Charenton. Good times.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:43 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 417

1987 Sea Nymph 17, mod v with a merc 35.

When I was in middle school my grandma would take me to do yard work for all the old women at her church in Maplewood. One old lady had the boat, had bought it new in 87, used once, hurt her back, drained fluids and parked in garage. Sat there about 10 years. I asked her about selling one day, she said she'd never thought about it and asked what i would give. Settled on 900$! Ran that boat until summer after high school when the motor gave out.

Parked in the barn as I had a ski boat after that, went back through, rebuilt the entire thing and repowered a few years ago. Love this boat. Runs fast, shallow, good on fuel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2018, 05:11 PM
Flounder

Cash: 678

My first boat I bought at Sears on a credit card when I was 20 years old, 1978 and it was a 14 foot flatbottom aluminum with a 15 horse I think Sea King motor, whatever Sears sold at that time. I had a blast with it until the motor was stolen off the boat and take across on the Mexican side. We went across the Mexico side of the lake and found it at a fishing camp and tried to get it back and were lucky to get back with our lives. Never did get the motor back. Good memories though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2018, 10:14 AM
Tripletail

Cool stories
Old 06-17-2018, 10:40 PM
Flounder

Cash: 548

First boat was a 12 foot aluminum jon boat with a big *** dent in the front(but didn't leak) and a three hp Johnson with a big *** dent in the tank(that didn't leak) that my dad bought at an estate sale. I was a young teenager in the seventies and remember having to keep half a dozen shear pins in the tackle box for the motor.

I really feel like I caught as many fish in that rig as I do now.....
Old 06-17-2018, 11:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

Had a 14' aluminum jon boat with a 25 I got when I was 16 yrs old.

I had a boat before I had a vehicle.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

12' jon boat with a 2hp Johnson. Kept it tied up on Bayou Des Cannes year round. We would have to dig it out of the silt some years. Whittle a stick of willow branch for a plug. LOL
Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

14/36 Oua****a and trailer...brand new in 1974. Bought it from Fontenot's Marine on Ryan St. in Lake Charles. I was 14 years old. I remember paying under $500.00 for it. I won $300.00 at a Friday night bingo game at the St. Margaret's K.C. Hall the week before and I had some yard cutting and grocery bagging money saved up to pay the difference. The motor was a different story, dad had an old 12 hp. Sea King...it was old enough to have the gas tank on top of the motor. After saving up money the following year I wanted a new motor and had about $150.00 (not enough for anything new) so my dad had me meet him one day at the local bar (the Bottle Shop on Prien Lake Rd.) walking distance from our house. In those days a minor could walk in get a coke and sit in the back...he introduced me to a man, and said that he would sell me a 1970 Johnson 9.5 for $150.00. I gave the man the money, he shook my hand and we put it in the back of dad's truck. Years later I realized that the man needed the money and I am sure that dad probably gave him more money for the motor. But the lesson learned was two-fold...my dad taught me how to work for something I wanted and, years later it dawned on me that he taught me how to help someone out in need without hurting their pride... (in retrospect the man would have taken 150.00 for the motor but dad knew he was down and did not want him to be taken advantage of).
Old 06-20-2018, 11:02 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

A 16 ft monarch with a 20 hp Chrysler that my grandpa got used in the 70s and he gave it to me when I was 14
Old 06-21-2018, 10:21 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

The first one i actually bought my self was a bass tracker with a 40 mariner on it I was 30. It had stick steering, and my first experience with foot control trolling. Think it was a pan fisher rig. Loved the lil boat kept it for a few years and would prolly still have it if Peggy ahdna come around it was small and she wanted a bigger wider more stable boat so I gave the tracker to a BIL and got a 17.5 ft triton hull with a 90 yammi on it been having it 15 years and no regrets its wide enough for a chubby ole guy to pee over the side with out it leaning too far and Peg can nap cross the deck so we both love it. It will get up in a hurry with me Peg and all our fishing and camping gear cant ask for more than that.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 767

Used my dad's boats growing up and that ranged from a flat with a 25 up to a 70mph Glass-tream. First one I purchased was a 16 foot '86 Cajun Special with a 90 Merc. Loved that boat. In an odd turn, my dad asked to borrow it after I'd had it 5 years or so, left it tied up at camp, stormed while he was gone and it sank. Guess he was paying me back for all those busted lower units from my teen years
Old 06-21-2018, 04:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

14' flat given to me when I was 15 yrs. old . 4 cracks 2-3 inch patched up with duck tape ...Motor guide piece of junk troll motor I bought.....Stepped up to a 14 ft. I bought for 200 with trailer and bought a 9.9 evin. that I ran the dog out of for years....Ran swamp to 16 ft. trawl and never wanted for nothing......
Old 06-22-2018, 06:10 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunduck man View Post
14/36 Oua****a and trailer...brand new in 1974. Bought it from Fontenot's Marine on Ryan St. in Lake Charles. I was 14 years old. I remember paying under $500.00 for it. I won $300.00 at a Friday night bingo game at the St. Margaret's K.C. Hall the week before and I had some yard cutting and grocery bagging money saved up to pay the difference. The motor was a different story, dad had an old 12 hp. Sea King...it was old enough to have the gas tank on top of the motor. After saving up money the following year I wanted a new motor and had about $150.00 (not enough for anything new) so my dad had me meet him one day at the local bar (the Bottle Shop on Prien Lake Rd.) walking distance from our house. In those days a minor could walk in get a coke and sit in the back...he introduced me to a man, and said that he would sell me a 1970 Johnson 9.5 for $150.00. I gave the man the money, he shook my hand and we put it in the back of dad's truck. Years later I realized that the man needed the money and I am sure that dad probably gave him more money for the motor. But the lesson learned was two-fold...my dad taught me how to work for something I wanted and, years later it dawned on me that he taught me how to help someone out in need without hurting their pride... (in retrospect the man would have taken 150.00 for the motor but dad knew he was down and did not want him to be taken advantage of).
AWESOME
Old 10-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 508

14 ft X 36 in Oua****a with 18 Evinrude
Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Flounder

Cash: 716

12? Ryan Craft Aluminum Flat with a 1960s 7.5 Johnson.
There is no telling how many Miles I traveled in that little boat.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:46 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

12' fiberglass v hull of unknown origin. my dad got it as payment for something or other. never had a motor, but had a couple friends that did. my boat, their motor. 9 1/2 johnson and a unknown merc. left it tied up at a friends house overnight and never saw it again.