SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,547
Default Landscape Mulch

I've got some large bed approx. 600 sq ft combined to cover with mulch. I've got pine bark type on it right now but I am concerned of attracting termites.

I'm sure there are some landscapers on here! I need to find good mulch at decent price....preferably around the Lake Chuck Sulphur area...but it there is a good deal I'll travel a bit. I assuming around 7-8 cubic yards or so is what I need??? I've got prices for pine bark mulch at $31 a cubic yard

Any help would be appreciated!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 03-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 611

Try Gillis saw mill. They have there own processing center for this and they color it also. I believe eucalyptus supposed to be best for pest, but it is expensive. I am also doing this at my house. I'm going to get a exterminator to come and treat it after i'm done.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 677

Agree

The place in Gillis sells mulch by the bucket. Bring that ol' ford to them and let them dump a couple buckets in the bed or get a trailer lined with a tarp and let them dump it on that.

Man why don't you call me about this stuff...
Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

if you got a trailer the nurseries around here use billy's bark in forest hill probly could get a good bit pretty cheap
Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 652

I went to rubber mulch about 3 years ago and i love it. We bought it at sams. Not really that expensive considering I have not changed it out in 3 years.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

Im new on here and I saw your post. My buddy does landscaping and has a small nursery. He keeps a stock of a certain type of mulch called softscape. It comes in black and brown.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

i have hauled and mulched my fair share from gillis and he is more then fair on price, he has natural pine, red pine and black pine colors, also handles a hardwood mulch and if you need he has soil conditioner to build beds up. one key with any mulch is to keep a clean dirt line between your house and mulch and you can go to a feed store and buy termite poison to mix and spray your self, another mulch that works well is pine straw which u can buy at green gate by the bale and it tends to last without rotting and wont wash out of beds
Old 03-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

The mulch I am talking about holds the color very well and does not wash away. I do landscaping on the side with him every now and then and this mulch is growing in popularity big time around the Lake Charles area.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,318

Calcasieu Association of Retarded Citizens sells mulch also. look on thier web page for more info.

http://www.thecarc.com/

we got some from them last year. They actually have contractors that bring them the scrap lumber from jobs and they grind it into mulch. Red or natural.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Calcasieu Association of Retarded Citizens sells mulch also. look on thier web page for more info.

http://www.thecarc.com/

we got some from them last year. They actually have contractors that bring them the scrap lumber from jobs and they grind it into mulch. Red or natural.
Y'all know I wanted to comment on this post but I didn't have the heart. You caught a break, W.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Daniel call me. I study termites and their feeding habits...nerdy I know, but that's how I make bank and get scholarships.. msg for number
Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 988

Yea I think the carc bark is the cheapest around ....... And it helps the people with disabilities keep a job..... Really a good thing they got going
Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

ok, I studied this, nerdy i know...

I tested Pine, Cypress, Eucalyptus mulch and birch and cherry wood.

Eucalyptus mulch has a natural toxin in it that kills eastern sub-terrainian termites..
I could go further with it...(I actually have a natural pesticide i made myself from plants that out preformed commercial stuff) But im saving that for a little while as far as details on it go.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Flounder

Cash: 566

I've had softscape black down for 3 years and it has not lost it's color. Landscape Management has it. More expensive per bag, but it lasts longer and holds it's color for years, not months like other colored mulch.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Flounder

Cash: 566

Here's a link: http://www.softmulch.com/index.html
Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA1125 View Post
Agree

The place in Gillis sells mulch by the bucket. Bring that ol' ford to them and let them dump a couple buckets in the bed or get a trailer lined with a tarp and let them dump it on that.

Man why don't you call me about this stuff...
The guy that runs the place also has a dump truck that he can deliver. He charged me $ 60 to deliver a load about 2+ years ago......but I live fairly close to him. I figured that price was ok...... and saved me from making 4 trips to his place.

Each bucket = 1.5 cu. yds. And that is about all you can fit in a 4' x 8' pickup truck.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

for a layer about 3" thick you will need about 6 yds. Most of your colored mulches are either pine or hardwood. They will both decompose over time wich will add some organic humus to your beds. Cypress is a good mulch too. A lil more expenssive,especially grade A. Grade A is actual bark of the cypress,very thin and hairy-pretty dark golden brown color. Regular cypress is alot cheaper,but made of mostly ground up cypress tree. The softscape mulch holds its color for a good while,and is claimed to be of cypress,and also fire retardant. Ive had 2 of my jobs where the beds have caught fire using this stuff. One of my suppliers buildings almost caught fire also. They pulled it from their shelves,and I dont use it anymore either. When you pull a weed through it the whole layer of mulch wants to come up,or if you use a leaf blower,it will come up too. As far as termites go, Ive seen them in just about every kind of mulch. They kinda like thieves,if they really want you bad enough,they will get you. We make a gravel bed between the house and flower bed on all of our jobs that we do. This keeps your dirt from being up against the house,which your termite guys love,so they can spray their poisons,and also keeps the dirt from covering your weep holes which is where the termites like to come in.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
for a layer about 3" thick you will need about 6 yds. Most of your colored mulches are either pine or hardwood. They will both decompose over time wich will add some organic humus to your beds. Cypress is a good mulch too. A lil more expenssive,especially grade A. Grade A is actual bark of the cypress,very thin and hairy-pretty dark golden brown color. Regular cypress is alot cheaper,but made of mostly ground up cypress tree. The softscape mulch holds its color for a good while,and is claimed to be of cypress,and also fire retardant. Ive had 2 of my jobs where the beds have caught fire using this stuff. One of my suppliers buildings almost caught fire also. They pulled it from their shelves,and I dont use it anymore either. When you pull a weed through it the whole layer of mulch wants to come up,or if you use a leaf blower,it will come up too. As far as termites go, Ive seen them in just about every kind of mulch. They kinda like thieves,if they really want you bad enough,they will get you. We make a gravel bed between the house and flower bed on all of our jobs that we do. This keeps your dirt from being up against the house,which your termite guys love,so they can spray their poisons,and also keeps the dirt from covering your weep holes which is where the termites like to come in.
Speck, I put out some mulch today...in the bags. That hairy cypress bark stuff was $9 per bag. I used the pine.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,009
Default mulch

Pine mulch is a no-no around your house according to my termite man. It can void your termite contract guarantee.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,574

I was told Lowe's had their cypress mulch on sale this past weekend for $1.12 a bag (2 cu. ft.??). I was out of town and didn't make it over there. Not sure if it is still on sale, but that's a pretty good deal.