SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Stories, History, and Tributes

Stories, History, and Tributes Got a story to tell about your childhood, someone you admired, or some interesting history to share? This is the place!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 647
Default Surgery at Cold Pass, TX.

I posted this over on the Texas boards. Thought some of y'all might enjoy the story. The update is that everything is fine. There's no doubt in my mind that luck played no part in this. The only way I can explain it is Divine Providence. - Sandy

So I'm at Blockade Runners on Saturday, yanking little mangrove snappers out of the water at the dock one after the other. I hook one and all of a sudden, it spits the hook. I do not know how what happened next happened. It just did. My shad rig flew out of the water, and one of the jigs buried itself in my neck.

I reached up and felt it, and I knew I was done fishing for the evening. I ran into the camp and took a look in the mirror. I began to try to push it through, with the idea of cutting the barb off and pulling it out. As I strained with pain to do so, I began to think . . . . "Where is my jugular vein? What about the carotid artery?" I wasn't sure how close I was, and I knew I needed help! I had never hooked myself before in my 33 years of fishing.

I clipped the line off, threw both of my first aid kits into the boat and I took off, my new jewelry dancing in the wind. I ran past deserted camps and into Cold Pass. I slowed and began to consider my options. The sun was going down, the camp was open, I didn't have any lights on the boat, MY KEYS WERE BACK AT THE CAMP TOO! I began to panic a little, thinking I'd have to go all the way back if I was to drive myself to the hospital. About that time, I noticed several people fishing off the dock at the Judge's Bench. (It's a fancy rental place on the water.)

I roared up, disturbing their fishing and I said, "I'm sorry to disturb y'all, but I know I need some help. I've got this fish hook here stuck in my neck." Kids began screaming bloody murder as I showed everyone. One guy helped me out of the boat and a nice lady ensured me that somehow I had pulled up to the RIGHT DOCK! She explained that 2 surgeons were amongst them. I introduced myself and they as Doctors Vargas and Echevarria. Dr. Vargas tried to push the hook through to no avail. He kept asking for someone to get some lidocaine. They couldn't find it, so I told them to forget it, just push it through. He then asked me if I was AA. Not thinking too clearly at this point, I asked what AA was and he responded, "Alcoholics Anonymous". I said, "heck no!" So he yells up for someone to bring some whisky. This was not for topical antiseptic. They had already taken care of that. This was to be for anasthetic.

Looking at my situation, with the sun almost down, no lights on my boat, and I'm all alone, etc. I told him, to forget the whisky, beer, and lidocaine. "Just push it through if you can do it." He grabbed hold of the hook, pressed his fingers on either side of the targeted exit hole, and told me to caugh 3 times really hard. On my second caugh, BAM! He popped it through. OUCHY! He then quickly cut off the barb and slip the rest of the hook out. Talk about relief.

With not a moment to spare, I thanked them, promised to visit the next day, and took off, glad to be rid of my unwanted jewelry. Getting back to the camp just as the sunset was at its most glorious, I took the time right there on the dock to thank God for watching over me and getting me out of that tough spot so perfectly. There can be no other explanation in my mind for why I headed that way, and why I chose to stop at that dock over others.

Sunday I went over to thank the good doctors, and we had a nice little visit. Bunch of great guys and gals over there. I thanked them time and again. Extra special thanks to Doctors Vargas and Echevarria. They saved my butt, and I owe them more than my usual $25 co-pay. Thanks also to Doc, the owner of the Judge's Bench for having the foresight to rent his place to these wonderful people.

As I wafted off to sleep that night, worried so much about the day to come and who was or wasn't going to show up to work on the camp, I caught myself and said, "Dude, whatever happens tomorrow doesn't matter. You're just lucky to be here now instead of in an emergency room." Leaving all worries behind, I drifted off into the deep sleep that eludes me in all places but that wonderful place on the bayou.

Photo: At the Judge's Bench: On the left, Dr. Vargas, and on the right, Dr. Echevarria.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The good doctors.jpg (89.8 KB, 507 views)
Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

wow, God is real and he manifests himself in people like those two surgeons everyday.

i really feel bad for not being able to make it down there to meet you this weekend now lol
Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

good story man! quite a comically serious one lol
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,529

Great story...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Glad it turned out so good for ya!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Pimp'n Da Reds

Cash: 853

You're LUCKY Coach.... Ha, if that was me, I would've had engine trouble too. Then I would've been stuck in the marsh with a hook through my neck.

Awesome story though! Glad to hear you made it ok!!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Swordfish

hey coach, how many did you catch is the more important question

we need pics of the fish to believe you lol
Old 09-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Tripletail

I didn't keep any. I caught maybe 15 or so in a short period. Every cast I had one on the line. None were bigger than 14 inches, with most around 9-11 inches. They were fun until that rascal hooked me back.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Swordfish

Lol not so much fun is it. I bet thatswhat the fish said
Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Tripletail

I was more than aware of the irony involved in a fish hooking ME. I was not amused however. I'm usually a better sport than that.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Ling

Cash: 512

too bad ya didnt run inta me there coach, i got a dull gut hook knife , i woulda got it out!!! lmao. great story and great ta see that ya met new friends even tho ya stuck ya self. glad u r ok!!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachlaw View Post
I didn't keep any. I caught maybe 15 or so in a short period. Every cast I had one on the line. None were bigger than 14 inches, with most around 9-11 inches. They were fun until that rascal hooked me back.

You went with W?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Tripletail

LMAO Salty!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

I'm new here, but have a similar story to share. Several years ago while fishing Cane River we were flagged down by a guy fishing .. he asked if we had any wire cutters .. we did and he then asked if we could cut the lure off his neck!! He had a Balsa B stuck in the back of his neck ... we cut if off and he said he was heading back to the ramp to go see a doctor. A few hours later we were heading back and came upon the same guy, we stopped to check and see if he got the hook removed. He said: "Not yet, the fish started biting!" Now that's a real fisherman.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalzer View Post
I'm new here, but have a similar story to share. Several years ago while fishing Cane River we were flagged down by a guy fishing .. he asked if we had any wire cutters .. we did and he then asked if we could cut the lure off his neck!! He had a Balsa B stuck in the back of his neck ... we cut if off and he said he was heading back to the ramp to go see a doctor. A few hours later we were heading back and came upon the same guy, we stopped to check and see if he got the hook removed. He said: "Not yet, the fish started biting!" Now that's a real fisherman.

wow...... whats more important ?? Fish or death ??? I say fish !!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,529

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalzer View Post
lol! awesome!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Glad you are okay man!
Sometimes payback is ugly!!

Those fish are bad ***
Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

wow never a dull moment with you huh Sandy...
Old 12-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Tripletail

Things have gotten calmer for me since I realized I'm no longer invincible. This was a sheer accident. I had never been hooked before in all my years of fishing. Hopefully it never happens again. I don't think I'll ever be so blessed if it does.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:36 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

Good post, hope that never happens to me