SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710
Default BL weirs questions

if the weirs are open. What's the technique for going in and out the weir. I've never did it before. I have a 21ft boat
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Don't do it Lawrence!! Wouldn't wanna see you bust up that pretty boat. I sure wouldn't be going through there in a brand new bay boat. No matter what size.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

I second that opinion, a 10 foot wide concrete lined chute with varying amounts of water flow is risky at best. Check the previous reports about the gentleman who totaled his bay boat by hitting something deep and cracking his transom.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

trim your motor up but keep it to where you still have control over the boat. if its rushing in and out just be careful. people have always done it and most people are good enough with their boats to handle it just fine. helps to have people on each side to be ready to guide it into the hole. dont go fast!!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,958

I wouldnt do it in that new boat. Especially on a strong tide if the water is really pouring through there.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
trim your motor up but keep it to where you still have control over the boat. if its rushing in and out just be careful. people have always done it and most people are good enough with their boats to handle it just fine. helps to have people on each side to be ready to guide it into the hole. dont go fast!!
But don't go slow!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Red Snapper

Yea! Once you make your mind up to go through you go because there's no reverse lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

You gonna scratch eventually...I took mine through it brand new!! If you confident in ya drivin skills go for it....just idle up to it...keep as square as you can, as soon as the nose is in it just bump up the throttle a little an stay with it, youll be ok.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

remember, when the lake is real high most guys take off there grab bar and windshield...if you have any doubt about the height clearance, then I wouldn't do it.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Redfish

Cash: 639

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
Yea! Once you make your mind up to go through you go because there's no reverse lol.

^^^^^ lol reverse would definitely be a GAME CHANGER if you go into panic mode
Old 06-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Flounder

Cash: 717

Don"t panic!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,468

I went thru in the blackjack quite a few times. If the water going out and the winds high out of the southwest I would not go thru. get lined up and stand in the middle of the boat while heading for the center. don't look at the walls at all. point of boat at center of opening and go under a bit little power.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Don't forget to take your rods out of the rod holders before you go through too!!
Old 06-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
Don't forget to take your rods out of the rod holders before you go through too!!
experience?
expensive?
Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Know your boat first!! Line up slow if water really running, ( may be half throttle get it straight and go!!! Don't look at the walls!!! Like said before make sure you have hight room cause there's no turning back once you make the conmint to going through
Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

All good advice.

Another thing is the trolling motor. On some boats the "head" sticks out over the side of the boat fairly far. If yours does this.....you might want to slide it down some to keep the head closer to the side of the boat.

If the water level is more than 6" different, it takes a little more skill or knowledge to keep from hitting the concrete walls.

Going through with the current is fairly easy.......going up current is more challenging.

Up Current

IMO.....the key is to line up the boat to the opening and keep the boat speed up. To me it is much easier to control the boat when going say 6-9 mph as you approach the opening. As you approach the weir, slowly give the engine more gas to maintain your speed. When the front of the boat is lined up in the opening, push down on the throttle about 1/2 way to "gun" the engine power to push you on through the opening.

Going too slow will cause you to loose control and possibility hit the concrete.

If you have other people in the boat, they can help push off the concrete wall to keep you from hitting........ but this can be dangerous, so use much caution.

Do not let anyone hold on to the side of the boat as you go through the weir.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Redfish

Cash: 899

Line the boat up and give it the gas. Don't jack around going through there or you'll screw your boat up. Seen way too many people with more money than sense get hung up trying to ease through it.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 611

Just have a good insurance policy and look far ahead while going thru it. Make sure u power up incoming and outgoing.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:46 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Second hand report of how the deep impact happened was that the boat was headed through and "gunned" the engine and caused it to dig deep going through and hit something in the center of the weir causing a big crack in the transom.
Good advice meathauler, have good insurance and dam the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Half speed is better actually. And watch out for the goobers who are fishing too close to the weir.
I was inside and had to go out one time in an aluminum boat when there was about a 2 foot drop - went airborne for a second, Whoopee! Not sure what I would have done if I had to go against the flow. Going slow is usually not a good option unless you want to risk being a submarine. Good fishing, crabbing, and shrimping back there but definitely taking a risk. I used to fish behind the weirs all the time - once saw a bobcat walk across the concrete weir and jump the gap like it was nothing.