SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939
Default ingenuity from stupidity

Well I screwed up again. I have to remove my trolling motor to cover my boat. Last night when I was getting the boat ready I didn't put the quick release pin back in all the way. A mile from the landing the trolling motor hops off the mount and lands on the front deck. lucky for me it didn't go over the side.

So this is what I came up with. 2 hemostats and a tip off a multi tip screwdriver. I might as well add the part where I was hammering the tip in with the handle and it flew overboard... ghetto fabulous but it got us through the day.

Since I am not the only one here that occasionally gets a case of the dumba$$, share some of your stories to make me feel better about myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3690.jpg (59.4 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3691.jpg (51.3 KB, 279 views)
Old 06-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,300

None to share that can top that one.

LOL
Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Fixed a cracked fuel bulb with an ice bag and mono before... Was stuck in the smi blocks and the wind was starting to kick up. Not a good feeling to have.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:41 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

If it worked that's all that matters bro.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216
Default ingenuity from stupidity

Good stuff

I had some breather box bolts strip when replacing an air filter an hour before a long trip, had no time and was frustrated already with all the pre trip crap, so I wadded up a half mile of foil and slammed the good on it to keep the breather shut.

Forgot about it and was reminded a few weeks later when the wife went to get her oil changed - I'm pretty handy and worked in my dad's mechanic shop growing up, so it still hurts to think the guys at that shop still talk about the hot chick with the idiot husband that fixed her car with a wad of foil.

Last edited by Goooh; 06-20-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I hesitate to post this but it's too good not to....

I made a night trip with two of my sons a few weeks ago. As often happens we were running behind on our planned leaving time and I was rushing. We had a long run in the boat and I wanted to be on location before dark. We got everything together put the boat in and we finally were able to head out.

It was a fun trip we caught lots of fish and had a good time. We had planned on staying out all night but since we limited we headed in early. As we arrived at the boat landing I noticed my headlights were on on my truck. Crap! We had been out 9 hours! I was worried I had run down my batteries. Nope. I had left my truck running in the parking lot. All night. With the music playing the AC on and the doors unlocked!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin i was fishin View Post
Well I screwed up again. I have to remove my trolling motor to cover my boat. Last night when I was getting the boat ready I didn't put the quick release pin back in all the way. A mile from the landing the trolling motor hops off the mount and lands on the front deck. lucky for me it didn't go over the side.

So this is what I came up with. 2 hemostats and a tip off a multi tip screwdriver. I might as well add the part where I was hammering the tip in with the handle and it flew overboard... ghetto fabulous but it got us through the day.

Since I am not the only one here that occasionally gets a case of the dumba$$, share some of your stories to make me feel better about myself.
I did the same thing. The only deference was I was pulling away from my driveway heading towards Belle Chasse Hwy. I looked in my review mirror and saw the trolling motor on the wrong side of the boat then it disappeared. I had set the trolling motor on the bow of the boat and forgot to secure it to the quick disconnect before leaving. Just like you, I am glad the motor fell inside the boat or it would have been a bad day.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post

I made a night trip with two of my sons a few weeks ago. As often happens we were running behind on our planned leaving time and I was rushing. We had a long run in the boat and I wanted to be on location before dark. We got everything together put the boat in and we finally were able to head out.

It was a fun trip we caught lots of fish and had a good time. We had planned on staying out all night but since we limited we headed in early. As we arrived at the boat landing I noticed my headlights were on on my truck. Crap! We had been out 9 hours! I was worried I had run down my batteries. Nope. I had left my truck running in the parking lot. All night. With the music playing the AC on and the doors unlocked!
FTMFW
Old 06-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,507

Quote:

*****, that beats them all
Old 06-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:

My wife said you picked a great spot to fish. Not only did you limit out but your truck was still there when you got back.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

Got to the spot I wanted to fish and walk off with kill switch still attached to me and it pulls out. Take it off and put on the dash. When I finish fishing the area I went to plug the kill switch in and the black piece was missing. Ended up cutting a hole and slot in the top of a power aid bottle to lift the button.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:01 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Yeah. My wife just about hurt herself laughing at me. The thing is there where lots of boats in the lot when I left and only mine when I returned. I wonder what the guy's leaving must have thought? Really embarassing.