SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Flounder

Cash: 744
Default LA Sportsman: Gonzales angler survives vibrio infection

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=5363

Question, guy.

Is this the same bacterial infection you would read about in our waters, seemingly every 2 or 3 years? I remember various articles in LA Sportsman, one where a fisherman contracted a flesh-eating bacteria when he stuck the crown of a marsh shrimp in his hand.

I thought I normally read the virus/bacteria thrived in still water. The story above that I linked says this guy contracted the virus fishing along the rocks in GI, where there would likely be moving water.

Anyone with more knowledge able to share some good information/guidelines for us to use.?

A few years ago I started trying to bring a small bottle for bleach with me, as I remembered reading an article somewhere saying if you suffered a cut or so, to take a clean rag, pour bleach on it, and rub it into the cut.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

In an ill-fated attempt to climb the rocks and fish the other side, Garey slipped, gashed his shin and scraped his left ankle on some barnacles. He didn’t know it then, but those minor ankle scrapes were the entry point for the bacteria.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Yes, someone posted a link here awhile back where they have found the virus. They are checking various beaches on a regular basis for the virus so you should go back and find that link on here and see if the virus is currently in the area where you want to fish. Of course, that is no guarantee but it is helpful. It does not matter if the water is still or moving and the virus can be found in freshwater as well.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Vibrio is not and has never been uncommon, its just now since the term has been changed to 'flesh eating bacteria' that the alarm has been sounded.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Man, I just read the article...This guy is our go to guy for soccer coaches in Gonzales Soccer Club. He's a great guy and, has helped me and, my kids tremendously with coaching and player development!

My prayers to him and, his family!