SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:23 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetfeathers00 View Post
PLUS SMALLS,

Your 26 years old. Your not old enough to have seen the years past in the hunting populations.

Lets do the math, your 26, which means you been hunting maybe a total of 12 years.

Do you remember the hay days when Gueydan LA was the duck capital

Do you remember the Points system, and when LDWF had to drop the limits to 3 birds

NOPE, too young.

But Hey, we are so glad you support DU. Keep up the good work.
What does age have to do with anything in this thread? Nothing. Quite a tactic, really. Point to a person's age to try and discount their voice. Were you alive to know ducks have migrated the same way for thousands of years? You're not old enough to know how ducks migrated 1000 years ago. So quit trying to divert attention from the fact that you are inaccurately using figures to push a viewpoint.

Funny thing about documents and all, you don't have to have been alive to know about things. I have read about the points system. I am familiar, through talking with old timers, what duck hunting was like.
I did see your earlier post about the rice. it was also the first post in which you referenced the "federal grants", something you have still failed to provide any documentation on (I'd still like to read about that, by the way). But, this is not surprising, considering you posted a map of DU projects and tried to pass it off as a migration map.

But let's be honest here, I don't care who you are, what you do, or how old you are. You've made it blatantly clear in just a few posts that you will say anything and use anything to paint DU in a bad light. And yet again, as so many others have tried and failed, you have failed at providing me with any compelling evidence as to why DU is to blame for the duck hunting situation in Louisiana.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
Lol I agree with every statement, he does sound better, he just needs to make that call beg some more. Wait I don't rape spoonbills, I choot em in the face.
If you guys keep openly admitting to fornicating with ducks I'll be morally forced to report you. Get some help good lord.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

at least 500-1000 ducks didnt die in rockefeller refuge over the past few days......
Old 10-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Flounder

Cash: 449
Default SMALLS

Question

Where do yo hunt??

ON a DU project property??

On someone else's leased land??

Your answers will help this issue of why you support DU and I dont so answer honestly.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Smells, how many times did you duck hunt last year???? Now tell the truth..
Old 10-28-2015, 12:13 PM
Flounder

Cash: 633

In all these arguments... I never once hear mention of someone who should get majority of the blame for reduced duck populations in louisiana... and thats an unnamed agricultural commissioner who made a deal with a third world country to get cheap labor and export sugar to their country if we started growing more sugar cane. We can cry all we want but at the end of the day the reasons for reduced everything wildlife in Louisiana is based on poor politics and people supporting politicians who dont care if they turn LA into a contaminated concrete jungle.

- reduced rice farming in the south
- coastal erosion, loss of marshes
- global warming (GASP! yes its real, or else saltwater intrusion wouldnt be taking place on every coastline)
- land development, causing an alarming rate of loss of habitat
- The MS river diversion causing further loss of wetlands

Now go ahead and continue to be pissed off at DU while the blame lies solely on our ELECTED officials.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Flounder

Quote:
MY OH MY, I GUESS THIS IS TOP SECRET INFORMATION. Look at the Coinciding map info.

One is DU projects the other is Flyway changes. Notice the large vacant spaces missing red dots in south Louisiana.
Smalls, Im compelled to ask: Is there a correlation between the DU projects and what land is considered protected land in LA? It seems like majority of those red dots coincide with land that would be considered protected land/land owned by the state or feds. Is there a reason for this? I wonder if its the lack of support that DU has from private land owners in LA? I wonder if DU had more support from private land owners in LA they would make an effort for conservation on privately held land?

I used to believe all the negative about DU until I started doing all my own research, then realized most of the garbage spewed about DU came from ill informed hunters who were only spreading rumors... unknowingly repeating something that they heard someone else say.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:13 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

Two of the biggest reasons I can tell are that 1. Arkansas deforested their plains and put up more rice fields than anyone in the US. and 2. Rice acreage in S.LA is way way down. Sucks, but it is what it is
Old 10-28-2015, 01:13 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Question

Where do yo hunt??

ON a DU project property??

On someone else's leased land??

Your answers will help this issue of why you support DU and I dont so answer honestly.
I'm assuming you are aiming this at me. I hunt public land, and to answer ASR's question, I hunted roughly 12 days last year. Most of that was weekends, but I took a few days here and there during the week. Stayed pretty busy at work, so it's hard to take off during the week. I hunted once on private land with a buddy that has no ties to DU. All of my other trips were public land in SELA, and none of those are in areas that have benefited from a DU project. I've been on some public areas in the past that have benefited from DU projects, but I rarely hunt those anymore because there are public areas closer to where I live now.

So, I'm not as big a diehard as some guys, but, you know, being 26 and all (since you seem to think my age is so important to the topic), duck hunting doesn't pay the bills, and I have a family to think about.

Still waiting to see that information on those grants. I really do want to read about this program that is apparently biasing conservation activities towards other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjleger337 View Post
Smalls, Im compelled to ask: Is there a correlation between the DU projects and what land is considered protected land in LA? It seems like majority of those red dots coincide with land that would be considered protected land/land owned by the state or feds. Is there a reason for this? I wonder if its the lack of support that DU has from private land owners in LA? I wonder if DU had more support from private land owners in LA they would make an effort for conservation on privately held land?

I used to believe all the negative about DU until I started doing all my own research, then realized most of the garbage spewed about DU came from ill informed hunters who were only spreading rumors... unknowingly repeating something that they heard someone else say.
Honestly, just by looking at the map, its hard to tell. I would suspect many of them are on private land. If you really look at that map, the majority follow the Red and Mississippi River basins. Now, the Mississippi River does have some public land along it, but not near as much as the projects that appear along it on this map.

Without really getting into it and comparing the project locations to public land, it seems like a fair amount of them are on public land. When you compare the public to private land acreage in the state, we are no where near the lopsided numbers of Texas, but private land still outweighs public considerably.

As much as I would love the majority of DU dollars to be spent on public land in our state, its unrealistic. Some of that money is going to get spent on private lands. Whether people like it or not, money is going to be spent on the Gum Cove and Black Lake areas. I've been out in Marcantel's "marsh", and its pretty useless. Open water. You all know this if you've been in that area.

Part of the reason that DU has so much resistance in Louisiana is because of the work they do on private lands here. People feel like Marcantel and others are getting special projects in return for large donations. I really don't see a problem with that if the money is returned to conservation done elsewhere. A lot of the work they do on public land goes unnoticed because of this. Hell, the only reason I knew about the Rockefeller project was due to a post on the Louisiana DU facebook page. They just don't seem to be very good at PR.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:23 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

public land du projects
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (93.2 KB, 118 views)
Old 10-28-2015, 01:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

I haven't read all the post yet, No sense either. It's just the typical anti DU guys who always get on these post. They come with far fetched rumors, and statements with no facts or data to support them what so ever.

First off DU puts millions into coastal conservation each year. These public coastal projects not only provide wintering grounds for ducks, but also protect the marsh that serves as the vital nursery for all the seafood we love including crabs, shrimp, trout and reds.

DU has stepped up and footed the bill for plenty of these projects where the state has failed to do so. We are losing our Marsh fast!! Point blank if we lose our coastal marsh we lose our way of life.

Let's talk about private land for a second. Yes, DU helps farmers through the rice stewardship program helps private marshland owners install levees and structures to manage water levels. And yes, this typically provides those land owners with substantially better hunting.

What you're missing here is it also provides better hunting for all of us. Point blank without key management of these lands the ducks will find somewhere else to go. By managing these private lands we are holding more birds per acre an area. You think the only one that benefits is that one landowner?? It's proven fact all the hunters surrounding have higher success rates as a result.

But let's jump back to seafood though. Just as public waters serve as vital nurseries for our fish and shrimp, so do many private marshes. Louisiana is 2nd in the nation for fundraising. They would be stupid not to invest back in this state.

This past year 82% of the money raised went directly back to conservation efforts. 3% went to administration and human resource and 15% went to raising all that money.

http://www.ducks.org/media/_global/_...lFactSheet.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
public land du projects
Cool!!!!!! So, I can go hunt the White Lake WCA now without a problem??!!!! Everyone in this part of the state knows that is BS. Duck hunting there, as well as Cameron Prairie are done solely by lottery hunts.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,174

Regarding duck numbers. Larry does his survey's every year. I have not looked but I would imagine that information is available or Larry could get it for us. He is on this site regularly. It would probably be helpful to compare his numbers over the last 20 years as a good starting point. If someone has these numbers please post them here.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdriver View Post
Cool!!!!!! So, I can go hunt the White Lake WCA now without a problem??!!!! Everyone in this part of the state knows that is BS. Duck hunting there, as well as Cameron Prairie are done solely by lottery hunts.
And if it werent, it would be just as s****y hunting as the rest of public land WMAs.

Too many hunters, not enough public land.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:48 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
public land du projects
Kisatchie being on that list has always confused me. Who the hell is duck hunting in Kisatchie? lmao!

Regardless, that is just the public lands they have done projects on. I don't believe they have only done 27 public land projects, and this list does not include Rockefeller either.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdriver View Post

But there is still public hunting opportunity there nonetheless. You have every opportunity to put your name in the drawings, and first time applicants have a better chance than somebody that hunted there last year.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Kisatchie being on that list has always confused me. Who the hell is duck hunting in Kisatchie? lmao!

Regardless, that is just the public lands they have done projects on. I don't believe they have only done 27 public land projects, and this list does not include Rockefeller either.

It is one of the green non huntable areas
Old 10-28-2015, 01:51 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Regarding duck numbers. Larry does his survey's every year. I have not looked but I would imagine that information is available or Larry could get it for us. He is on this site regularly. It would probably be helpful to compare his numbers over the last 20 years as a good starting point. If someone has these numbers please post them here.
http://wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/aer...erfowl-surveys

This goes back to 2004. The estimate in November 2004 was a little over 1 million. The estimate in 2014 was a little over 3.1 million. There were 2.2 million dabblers in 2014.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:52 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
It is one of the green non huntable areas
Ah, yeah, I see that now. Just missed that whole "public land hunting" thing. lmao!
Old 10-28-2015, 02:36 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Ah, yeah, I see that now. Just missed that whole "public land hunting" thing. lmao!
No its not its number 8 on the list looks like the land in Nat****oches area.