SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738
Default .270 ammunition

What brand and grain bullet do you .270 shooters use? I have been shooting 130 grain hornady. Thinking about stepping up to 150 grain for more punch when I hunt on the pipeline. What do yall think?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Winchester Ballistic Silvertip
I would stick with 130s if u want better down range.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

My fav rifle happens to be chambered in .270 win. Ive killed with 150 core lokts & went back to 130s because they're flatter and hit just as hard or harder. deadliest mushroom in the woods

are you shooting the light magnums?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:02 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,824

I shoot 150 gr. and have been for years. I shoot the Remington Core Lokt, never had an issue with them. I'm sure Hornady is a nice bullet also.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

federal accubonds 140.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 PM
King Mackeral

use to shot nothing but 130 core lokts but these federals are far more accurate out of my gun past 200.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder_smacker View Post
federal accubonds 140.
I shot a buck with a federal trophy bonded 140 grain, he ran over 300 yards & the bullet acted like a FMJ
Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Ling

Cash: 8,577

I got a rem 270 and use rem. standards from academy just the cheapest rem. ones and dropped hogs at 200 yds no prob...150 has the knockdown though aswell as 140s.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

The 130 grain core-lokts are really good bullets. I would not shoot the Hornady SST's, had some really bad experiences with them. The Federal Fusion is supposed to be a great bullet as well. Nothing wrong with the Nosler Ballistic tips either. I personally wouldn't bother with 150 grainers, especially on a long pipe line.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
I shot a buck with a federal trophy bonded 140 grain, he ran over 300 yards & the bullet acted like a FMJ
i've never shot the trophy bond but every deer and hog i've shot with the accubond hasn't gone more than 20 yards. accubond is like a ballistic tip but with more retention.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 633

I have been using Hornady 130 gr sst for four years now and never had any issues. Have shot many of deer 150 plus.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

150gr. fusion
Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Whatever shoots out your rifle! Some guns like different bullets. One can say this & the other can say that. It's whatever your rifle groups with! I've got PLENTY rifles
chambered in whatever you want. Some shoot a core
better & some shoot a SST
better & some shoot other
things better. Depends on
the rifle! I've got a rem. That'll spit core lokts like you've never seen, put a ballistic tip in it & no telling where it's going. I've got a Winchester that'll won't shoot a core lokt for nothing, put a win silver ballistic tip & it'll drive tacks. Have a browning that'll drive tacks with SST's & won't group anything else! Trial & error my brother. Sometimes you gotta spend a lil money but it'll be better in the long run.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Whatever shoots out your rifle! Some guns like different bullets. One can say this & the other can say that. It's whatever your rifle groups with! I've got PLENTY rifles
the rifle! I've got a rem. That'll spit core lokts like you've never seen, put a ballistic tip in it & no telling where it's going. I've got a Winchester that'll won't shoot a core lokt for nothing, put a win silver ballistic tip & it'll drive tacks. Have a browning that'll drive tacks with SST's & won't group anything else! Trial & error my brother. Sometimes you gotta spend a lil money but it'll be better in the long run.
one reason I reload! after working a load for a while I figure out what works best.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
one reason I reload! after working a load for a while I figure out what works best.
I've seen 2 guns the same model & caliber (Ruger M77) shoot 2 different rounds! One liked the SST's & the other a Core Lokt! Never could figure it out, just went with what was working! Now one was stainless & other blued, could of be the difference in metal barrels. ????? Ya never know till you start slinging lead
Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Great White

Quote:
Your right bro,I should stick with what works. I shoot a browning bar safari and it shoots very tight groups with the hornady sst's. The reason I started this thread was I lost a nice 10pt buck last year. Was hunting on my pipeline stand made a 240 yard shot. He dropped right away,thought I had his azz. Took my phone out to text my uncle to give me a hand,look up and he's gone! Gave him about 30 mins to expire. When we started tracking him we found nothing! Looked over and over again for 4 hours. No blood,no hair,nothing! Part of hunting sometimes...
Old 09-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Your right bro,I should stick with what works. I shoot a browning bar safari and it shoots very tight groups with the hornady sst's. The reason I started this thread was I lost a nice buck last year. Was hunting on my pipeline stand made a 240 yard shot. He dropped right away,thought I got his azz. Took my phone out to text my uncle to give me a hand,look up and he's gone! Gave him about 30 mins to expire. When we started tracking him we found nothing! No blood,no hair,nothing! Part of hunting sometimes...
& really Ryan that has nothing to do with ammo........That's hunting! I've shot them SOB's at 10 steps with a 50 cal muzzle loader, a 300 grain chunk of lead & didn't find them! He hit the ground like he'd been hit upside the head by a Mack truck! Then left! I killed one with buckshot that only one pellet hit it in the front leg at the knee & it bleed out!!!! How freaking crazy is that! You'll win some & lose some! & I know.........we need to do everything in our power to win em all. But if that's what your guns likes stick with it, it's easy to get discouraged & change, don't know how many times I've been discouraged & wanted to change, but most of the time it boiled down to my error & I didn't want to accept it.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Great White

Quote:
& really Ryan that has nothing to do with ammo........That's hunting! I've shot them SOB's at 10 steps with a 50 cal muzzle loader, a 300 grain chunk of lead & didn't find them! He hit the ground like he'd been hit upside the head by a Mack truck! Then left! I killed one with buckshot that only one pellet hit it in the front leg at the knee & it bleed out!!!! How freaking crazy is that! You'll win some & lose some! & I know.........we need to do everything in our power to win em all. But if that's what your guns likes stick with it, it's easy to get discouraged & change, don't know how many times I've been discouraged & wanted to change, but most of the time it boiled down to my error & I didn't want to accept it.
You hit the nail on the head. I was very confident I made a good shot. I am still sick about loosing that big boy.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. I was very confident I made a good shot. I am still sick about loosing that big boy.
Dude I still have nightmares over a couple of them!!!!!!!!!! Some from 20 years ago!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Great White

LOL it is a sickness,no cure in sight!