SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Flounder

Cash: 621
Default Problems at lacassine refuge??

Has anyone noticed that there isn't much water and too much grass in lacassine? I have contacted them several times about burning it but they won't. Anyone have ideas about how to get the grass out enough to be able to hunt?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,783

You can not legally remove native vegetation. They will eventually burn it when the conditions are rite but there's no way to know when that's gonna be.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Flounder

Yeah i have noticed bc it hasn't been burned in about 8 years. A lot of people are moving to Sabine bc it's better managed and more spots to hunt. Hate to leave it bc I like to hunt in that area. Just wish they would accept volunteers to help with some of the work.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Sabine is easier to hunt but not better managed. The truth is both NWR's are ALMOST completely left to their own devices. Federal budget cuts will make it worse over the next few years and 16 trillion (that's billion w/ a TR) in debt and climbing don't help.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Tripletail

The hole complex was designed to be self sufficient in the beginning I do agree that the federal budget prevents extra work but I don't believe that's preventing the work on it maybe I'm wrong but I think it's more of waiting on the right time and conditions
Old 11-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Flounder

Well in the past 8 years if there Hasent been a good day to do it, I don't see one in the future. But I would like to. It just seems Sabine is better takin care of and more "official". If there were a little bit of work put into both areas we could really have some great public hunting. It's hard to find a blind and this is all a lot of us have now days. And don't get me started on the whole trillions in debt topic.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Tripletail

Lol I agree last season woulda been perfect in the drought and it would messed the huntin up and their habitat but there's not much habitat left for them
Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Flounder

It's a controlled burn sounded by water only on so many acres. I'm not seeing the negative side to this. Just saying. It's hard to get out there, find water, and then the birds fall in the tall grass and then are lost? It would be better to burn it at the end of the season so next yrs hunting wouldn't be affected!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:09 AM
Tripletail

I couldn't agree with you more
Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Devil's advocate here - SD hit the nail on the head, you know when 'we' say the federal gov't needs to cut spending? Well, that is part of the federal gov't spending that gets cut

It costs a lot of money to burn nowadays mainly due to liability but also firefighting equipment. In the marsh, you have to do all this by airboats and that gets expensive quick and then the staff time on top of that. Kisatchie has it down to an artform though, they use helicopters and can burn thousands of acres a day, but all this is contiguous burnable acres, I assume Lacassine is not one contiguous marsh
Smokey the Bear turned lots of people off on fire, wildfires are now somehow a bad thing but fire is what shaped all this landscape and kept trees from growing, kept the vegetation lush, etc. All it takes is one prescribed burn to get away and the feds will shut it all down.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Sounds easy but lacassine would be a lot harder to burn than say Sabine. They are two totally different marshes. Sabine has ground and if you light it afire it will burn all the way to the root system. Lacassine is no ground. The grass is over head high everywhere but the water is also knee high just about everywhere. It would be hard to keep a fire going in lacassine. No to mention its mostly cat tails and I haven't talked to anyone that's found a good way to get rid of them yet. I agree something needs to be done but it would be harder in lacassine. Hell Sabine usually has a lightning fire or two every year. And budget has a lot to do with it. I have called refuge officials several times on this issue and the answer is always "no funding". They don't even have the funding to man what they have now. Which is why there is still porches and washing machines in Sabine and will likely be there until they rot. Only thing that might open up lacassine again is another Rita. And I don't think anyone wants that.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,709

I have been hunting the same spot in Lacassine for the past 8 years. This year it is taken over by grass and can't be hunted, I went opening day and haven't been back. I think letting hunters use motorized boat once every few years would help to keep trails and ponds opened up for hunting.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Sounds easy but lacassine would be a lot harder to burn than say Sabine. They are two totally different marshes. Sabine has ground and if you light it afire it will burn all the way to the root system. Lacassine is no ground. The grass is over head high everywhere but the water is also knee high just about everywhere. It would be hard to keep a fire going in lacassine. No to mention its mostly cat tails and I haven't talked to anyone that's found a good way to get rid of them yet. I agree something needs to be done but it would be harder in lacassine. Hell Sabine usually has a lightning fire or two every year. And budget has a lot to do with it. I have called refuge officials several times on this issue and the answer is always "no funding". They don't even have the funding to man what they have now. Which is why there is still porches and washing machines in Sabine and will likely be there until they rot. Only thing that might open up lacassine again is another Rita. And I don't think anyone wants that.
Yes the saltwater intrusion opened lacassine up big time. Unfortunately it brought mass destruction with it. If you burned at the end of the season, it would be even thicker by opening day. Sabine can't be self sufficient because of the weir system, not sure about lacassine. Only thing that may help is to install pumps and keep the hunting area flooded with water. I think the drought the past couple of year really choked that place up wit vegetation. But when you talkin pumps, you talkin $$$$$$$! BTW I'm not arguing with anybody, and I don't think I have the answer. It's just an opinion, and I like where this thread is going, if anyone else has a suggestion, lets hear it.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Ling

I deal with the effects from lack of fire quite often. Fire is what created much of the landscape in that area whether its marsh, prairie, or longleaf pine and when you take that out its like taking a turtle or a crawfish out of water, yeah it will survive but it will not thrive. Fire helps to keep woody brush under control and after a few years of not burning, fire is not as effective. If the marsh in Lacassine was burned right now it would do very little, it would just come back up green in a few weeks. You then need to get it back to where it was previously which is where herbicides come into play. It is so much easier to maintain an area than it is to restore an area. Restoration is expensive, the costs of herbicides and the manpower to implement them is expensive, and when the vegetation is very thick, it takes two or even three herbicide jobs to get to it all. You have to let the veg die back and then spray what you missed or what the herbicide could not get down into. On paper, it is very simple to restore something, you go in and do A, B, C, and D and then just maintain after that, but the time scale between A to the maintenance stage may be 5 or even 10 years.
All our NWRs and WMAs could use some funding, but I don't see that happening in this economy unless we do like Missouri and add a little sales tax statewide to go towards conservation on our state lands, but asking Louisiana people to raise taxes. Seems like 'stimulus' funds could have been used for the SW La refuges complex back in 2009 but that is a totally different subject
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

I scouted the week before and hunted 11/14. The spot I used to hunt is over run with hunters. With everything closing up, hunters have fewer places. Not real excited about the season ahead. Sabine has more area but is also way over crowded. Personally, I think if they are under funded to maintain the refuges and keep the areas huntable, maybe it's time to move to a lottery type system with designated hunt areas. Many places up north do it. This allows them to maintain specifies areas and also ends the problem of crowded hunt areas. Big money has taken over all the farm land/leases. No money has devastated the public hunt areas. It may be time to find a happy medium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

You would think DU or delta would do something about it. It's some damn good hunting land
Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
I scouted the week before and hunted 11/14. The spot I used to hunt is over run with hunters. With everything closing up, hunters have fewer places. Not real excited about the season ahead. Sabine has more area but is also way over crowded. Personally, I think if they are under funded to maintain the refuges and keep the areas huntable, maybe it's time to move to a lottery type system with designated hunt areas. Many places up north do it. This allows them to maintain specifies areas and also ends the problem of crowded hunt areas. Big money has taken over all the farm land/leases. No money has devastated the public hunt areas. It may be time to find a happy medium.

True, but lets not forget that the hunting area of Sabine only makes up about a 1/3 of the total refuge. Cameron Prairie and Rockefeller don't allow any waterfowl hunting at all (except for CP youth hunt). These are good areas that could provide good waterfowl opportunities and ease the overcrowding, but it'll never happen. I don't wanna see a lottery but it may be the only way.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:

Be careful what you wish for. A lottery system may mean a lot of us public hunters may be doing a lot of fishin during hunting season. Would you be willing to give up your whole hunting season?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,529

frick..just give up hunting and fishing and take up golf...or do yard work.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Ling

Quote:

Nooooooooo! You don't want that, you don't want that. You show up at 4 am, don't get picked then what? The 'L' word is a bad word