SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-15-2014, 12:06 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948
Default By Means, aid, or use of any motor vehicle?

Interesting conversation going on on facebook right now. What do you take this statement to mean?

Illegal hunting methods. You cannot hunt waterfowl:
  • With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance.
  • From a sink box or any other low floating device that conceals you beneath the surface of the water.
  • From a motorboat or sailboat, unless you shut the motor off or furl the sail and the vessel is no longer in motion.
  • Using live birds as decoys.
  • While possessing any shot other than approved nontoxic shot.
  • From or by means, aid, or use of any motor vehicle, motor-driven land conveyance, or aircraft (if you are a paraplegic or are missing one or both legs, you may hunt from a stationary car or other stationary motor-driven land vehicle or conveyance).
  • Using recorded or electrically amplified bird calls or sounds, or imitations of these calls and sounds.
  • With a shotgun that can hold more than three shells, unless you plug it with a one-piece filler that cannot be removed without disassembling the gun.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

sounds like you can't hunt waterfowl while sitting on an ATUV/UTV/tractor/etc

you can use them but not sit on them while hunting?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

doesnt sound like anything even worth a conversation...just dont hunt off of motor vehicles..or fourwheelers or sidexsides...
Old 08-15-2014, 01:04 PM
King Mackeral

That was basically what everyone except this one fella argued. This one guy was trying to say that if you drive up to a spot, see ducks, get out, and hunt them, you are breaking the law.

Says 11 guys in Pennsylvania lost their licenses last year for this. Even went as far as to say that federal officials are the ones that told him that is what the law means.

Everyone else said the same exact thing that's been said here, and that is the way I've always interpreted it.

I don't think a game warden is going to write you a ticket for driving up to a spot, parking (legally), moving the required distance from a road, and shooting ducks. Assuming you aren't trespassing or breaking any other law, you've done nothing wrong.

Now shooting from a road, or shooting from a vehicle is a whole 'nother story.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

I saw that same post and was thing the same thing.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
That was basically what everyone except this one fella argued. This one guy was trying to say that if you drive up to a spot, see ducks, get out, and hunt them, you are breaking the law.

Says 11 guys in Pennsylvania lost their licenses last year for this. Even went as far as to say that federal officials are the ones that told him that is what the law means.

Everyone else said the same exact thing that's been said here, and that is the way I've always interpreted it.

I don't think a game warden is going to write you a ticket for driving up to a spot, parking (legally), moving the required distance from a road, and shooting ducks. Assuming you aren't trespassing or breaking any other law, you've done nothing wrong.

Now shooting from a road, or shooting from a vehicle is a whole 'nother story.
So by his understanding; anyone who rides a four wheeler to their hunting spot, be it duck blind, deer stand, or tucked in the grass on a levee is breaking the law. The way I read it is don't hunt off of a motorized vehicle.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:22 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
So by his understanding; anyone who rides a four wheeler to their hunting spot, be it duck blind, deer stand, or tucked in the grass on a levee is breaking the law. The way I read it is don't hunt off of a motorized vehicle.
Basically, yeah. Although he said that is not what he was saying.

His point was that if you drove around looking for birds with the intent to hunt them, you were breaking the law. Basically, if you drove around, saw a field of geese, got out and jump shot them, you broke the law.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,128

After reading it twice he has a point

"aid , or use "
Old 08-18-2014, 07:11 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Well hell a boat is a motorized vehicle but that contradicts the third line.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:22 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

This is silly to argue in a way, we all know they won't make a law that says you have to walk from home to get to your hunting spot.

This statement clears it up nicely because if they were talking about using a vehicle to get to your spot then they would have worded this to reflect it - (if you are a paraplegic or are missing one or both legs, you may hunt from a stationary car or other stationary motor-driven land vehicle or conveyance). It clearly says a stationary vehicle, as opposed to saying "you can use a vehicle to get to your spot".

Now what is worth arguing is what about boat blinds?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper3726 View Post
After reading it twice he has a point

"aid , or use "
Really? What LOGICAL point does he have? There is none, because under his definition, if I can't walk out my door and hunt, I'm breaking the law. I drive an hour, at the least, to hunt. On that drive, I pass a few places that could hold ducks. So, if I see ducks at a spot, and I stop, I'm now breaking the law?

I agree with Gooh, and everyone else's that said it. It is a rather pointless discussion, but thought I would see what some people with common sense would say. I was certain from the start that I was in the majority with my interpretation of this.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,687

Kaplan suddenly seems far now that I have to walk. Anyone know of any campgrounds in that area I'm trying to cut my walking distance down some.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

I can shoot geese off the porch of the lodge some days. I'm good.... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm
Old 08-18-2014, 04:06 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Now what is worth arguing is what about boat blinds?

Well that rule has always been that your good as long as the motors not running. Just like floatin the bayou. It's perfectly legal to paddle but illegal to use a motor or trolling motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk