SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

26 yds is my longest. Past that, I see it as guess work and too many variables.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,242

99% of my shots are under 20 yds
Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

Years ago I was told 12 yards.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,826

Thanks.....I've always wondered that....
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 PM
The Camp Cook....

Any suggestions on a harness system? I don't mind spending for quality and safety.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Years ago I was told 12 yards.
I would say that is probably a good average. One thing bowhunting will do is make you a better hunter. Instead of being within site of a deer, you will need to be in his house without him knowing. And that ain't easy. Or you can hunt a corn feeder.. lol. That works too.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
Any suggestions on a harness system? I don't mind spending for quality and safety.
I like the muddy outdoors harness. Tree spider makes a nice one too.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

The fun part for me is letting one walk right under you, knowing you could smoke him but, you let him/her walk! Unlike rifles, you have to be more stealthy than them!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 451

Finally someone on here talking bow hunting. Average shot in Louisiana is around 12-15yds last I heard but its all about stand placement. You will be addicted after ur first kill so get ready. I have just under a 100 bow kills and still get excited
Old 06-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

This post is only 7 hours old....... and ya'll have just about said it all.

I got started Deer hunting almost 30 years ago. After killing 5 with a shotgun in the first 2 seasons, I got into Bow hunting to make it more challenging. I also bought a rifle. I shot long bows as a child, but shooting a compound was different. I borrowed a bow for a few months and them bought a second hand bow.

Bows back then were not nearly as good as today's bow and to make it more of a challenge, I shot "fingers" for about 10 years and the bow had a draw length that was ~ 2" too long for me.

After about 5 years I bought a new PSE, and put an overdraw to increase the speed. I took the overdraw off after 2 years.....it was too hard to shoot good groups shooting "fingers".

Then 4 or 5 years later, I decided to "give in" and bought a release. IMO.... shooting a release is like changing from shooting an old "smoke pole" with iron sights to shooting a rifle with a scope.

In the early years, I would practice for an hour or more each night [I had lights set up to see]. Now the practice time is way way down, but the killing is a lot more consistent. I think I have made Public land bow kills in each of the past 4 seasons. Here are a few pictures.

Oh, lighted nockes are way cool to watch the arrow hit the deer. I got some last year.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doe.. 2-11-08.JPG (130.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Pass thru shot.jpg (93.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 4 pt. bow 10-14-11.jpg (97.5 KB, 148 views)
Old 06-12-2012, 01:23 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass2222 View Post
Finally someone on here talking bow hunting. Average shot in Louisiana is around 12-15yds last I heard but its all about stand placement. You will be addicted after ur first kill so get ready. I have just under a 100 bow kills and still get excited

Welcome to Saltycajun.

Most of the members fish, but there are a fair number of Deer hunters. Hunting is not all about the kill, it is the experience.

Where do you mostly hunt?
Old 06-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Flounder

Cash: 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Welcome to Saltycajun.

Most of the members fish, but there are a fair number of Deer hunters. Hunting is not all about the kill, it is the experience.

Where do you mostly hunt?
I hunt mainly down here in the marsh but also have places in north LA and Texas. Also make trips to Kansas and Missouri when I can
Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 912

I bought my first bow earlier this year as well as a used Summit climbing stand. I look forward to having a whole extra month to hunt this fall before it is time to switch to long guns. I have been seeing a few bucks on the trail cam at my grandma's. I am hoping they are still hanging around on October 1st.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Aquaholic View Post
I like the muddy outdoors harness. Tree spider makes a nice one too.
x2 on the Muddy, I love mine. It's super light and doesn't get in the way.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 587

Why did you all have to start talking about bow hunting!!!! I'm trying to concentrate on fishing. It was hard enough switching my mind from bow hunting to fishing in mid-February this year.

This past season was my first year bowhunting and my first year on public land. I was able to get 3 deer with my bow. I completely agree with what you guys have said. Getting so close to the deer and not having them know you are there is such a thrill...doing it on public land where you can't bait is even more thrilling. It takes hard work to learn the patterns of the deer and then try to figure out what trail and feed trees they will be using and then trying to set up your stand correctly for them. AWWWW MANNN I'M HOOKED. I doubt I'll be doing much trout fishing in October since it's hard to catch a trout sitting in a tree!!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
x2 on the Muddy, I love mine. It's super light and doesn't get in the way.
I have the Hunter Safety System but I bought it when it was the only harness system that was on the market. That Spyder one looks pretty sweet the way it gradually lowers you if you would happen to fall.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Redfish

When it is warm out I wear my muddy harness. I also have a Rescue One harness and it is pretty cool. I only where it when the temps are a bit cooler as it is kind of heavy. If you do fall out of your tree you can pull a cord on your shoulder strap and repel down. Plus you can reload it yourself. All other brands you have to send back to the factory and have them reloaded.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Flounder

Cash: 706

Another thing to invest into is a pole saw and spend some time picking out trees you can climb in the 25ft high range to help your smell during those warmer hunts and use the pole saw to start clearing some paths, remember it takes alot less to throw a arrow off
Old 06-12-2012, 01:22 PM
The Camp Cook....

I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Next question is, do most of yall bow hunt out of a climbing stand or what???...and if you do, give me some pros and cons and types.....
Old 06-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Flounder

Cash: 706

I have hunted out of all but ground blinds, as far as brands I like the old style ol mans but thats just me, millenium lock ons are very comfortable but pricey, practice shooting while sitting down to the front and both sides it will help in the long run. The thing that helps bow hunters become succesful is pre season prep, get in the woods and find a solid comfortable tree to climb, if you have private property acces this is easier to go ahead and put a lock on on and leave it but if your going to be climbing go ahead and climb it up to 25-30ft cutting any obstruction on the tree off get used to being that high up, most gun hunters never go over 20ft so 10+ft will be a new feeling. go ahead and find a way to attach and keep secured a rope to haul bows off the ground once your secure, get a pack started with extras (release, extra string to pull up bows, cover scents, plenty of water for those warm hunts) just my .02 on this im no professional but passing on from my experiences,