SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-13-2018, 11:07 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 314
Default Big Lake help

Planning on taking my wife to fish Big Lake (Monday and Tuesday). Any help on best place to try for some trout or reds? She has never caught one and I would like to get her hook on fishing.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Where will you be staying / launching and what size boat do you have? Will you be fishing with live bait or artificial? How well do you know the lake?
Old 05-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Sand Trout

Fishing from Spicers. Mako 18 LTS and if they have live bait I will buy it. I don't know the lake; just studied online maps.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrallen View Post
Fishing from Spicers. Mako 18 LTS and if they have live bait I will buy it. I don't know the lake; just studied online maps.

Ok, that will make it hard to give you advice.

Word of caution..... when leaving Spicers, follow the bayou channel. Don't try to cut across a marshy looking area.... it is very shallow.

When leaving either follow another boat or just follow the left bank. The bayou turns to the left [northward] a little ways after you leave Spicers, then you pass where several shrimp boats are docked. A little past there, the bayou makes a big curve back to the right. Then when you get over closer to the Ship Channel, the bayou curves back to the left.

A close spot that may produce is the area 1/4 to 1/2 mile south of where this bayou connects to the Ship channel..... along the west bank. Try fishing the "drop off" or in 6 to 8 foot of water.

Another spot..... a couple miles farther south in the ship channel there is a rock wall along the west side of the channel. Try a few spots along these rocks. Fish out 20 to 50 feet away from the rocks. There are 2 opening along this rock wall which goes into Joe's Cove. This cove is mostly 3 to 4 feet deep but generally holes some Trout.

There are many other spots along the ship channel or off along the banks of Big Lake or West Cove that could produce fish, it all depends how far you want to travel.

Not knowing the Lake...... if it is in your budget, booking a trip with a guide will normally give you a great deal of knowledge and you will catch some fish. There are a lot of guides but I would recommend Jeremy Waltrip. [337 789-9002] Tell him what kind of trip you would like and he or one of his guides will give you a fun trip. Weather should be great Monday and Tuesday and I may be fish myself on Tuesday.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:22 PM
Sand Trout

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:54 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228

Redfish were still up on the banks last week. Winds are suppose to light in morning so if u have any interest on fishing the lake I would do so early from daylight to 830-9 then start working ur way closer to the channels. Unless of course it stays light and ur catching lol