SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > DIY Forum

DIY Forum This forum is for discussion of Do-It-Yourself projects, including home building and remodeling, automotive repair, etc.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 654
Default Fiberglass Repair, advice needed.

So i picked up a pirogue that is in need of some TLC from craigslist recently.

It floats, but the bottom is soft, and its needs some new chines. Whoever tried to repair it did a bad job. Its a ron chapman boat.

My plan is to sand it down and put some fiberglass cloth down on the soft spot and up the sides for rigidity. I just dont know what type of cloth, or mat or woven roving(sp) to use? I also had an idea of putting some rails accross the bottom and fiberglass over them. The chines can be purchased from Ron chapman, so i dont have to worry about cutting any out.

I am just in need of some advice as i have never really worked with fiberglass, it doesn't seem that hard but i just dont want to overlook something.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:48 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

I had the same problem I watched some Youtube video and bought a kit from autozone. One bit of advise wear gloves cuz fiberglass resin will burn and irritate your skin and it won't come off easily.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Walmart also sell kits in the Auto section.

Get everthing ready before you mix the fiberglass.... it will set up in less that 2 minutes. Sand down the edges of the fiberglass where you are going to make the repair so the new resin will make a good bond. Mix it in small batches or you will waste a lot of it.

It can be a little messy.....so be careful. I used a few small thin pieces of wood to smooth out the cloth and resin. After you get everything covered with the fiberglass...... a good sanding will make it look much better.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Mat or weave will work just fine. Cut at least two layers of whatever you choose to go down with one app. This will really stiffen up your soft area.

Rather than wood sticks, as Gerald recommended(no disrespect Mr. Gerald), put Saran wrap(sp?) down on it. This will give you a no contact oppurtunity to smooth it out and remove bubbles. Remember a few small bubbles aren't that bad. Leave it on till it is completely dry and it will remove very easily. I learned from an uncle that rebuilds classic Corvettes for a living and it works.

As Tim said, wear gloves during the app. It's more annoying than anything! When it comes time to cover with the saran wrap, take them off so that the resin isn't on the top of the wrap. Presto, you're done!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 894

Find yourself a bubble roller from a local hardware store or marine dealer.If you think the floor is too soft then make sure you grind all the gelcoat off then cut out two mats to fit.If you plan on going back with Chapmans rub rail it will stiffen up the hull alot so keep that in mind,bottom may just seem thin b/c theres no support on gunnwales. You shouldnt need more than a gallon to do any repairs on a pirogue.In this heat you only want to kick about 10cc's to a half gallon depending on what kind of resin you use.Get yourself a small roller frame and cut a nap to fit,then wet out where your going to glass,then lay material down and wet it out.Once its all wet out use your bubble roller and make it pretty.If you need any more help feel free to email or message me.I build and repair fiberglass boats for a living.
P.S.....make sure you have acetone on hand,its the only thing you can clean your hands and tools with!