SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:06 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728
Default WLF commission meeting

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448986005.601452.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

will anybody go to this and speak up? will it be worth it? what does everybody think about this meeting? are they just blowing smoke?

and why in the hell have it at noon? so not many people will go?!?!
Old 12-01-2015, 08:34 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post

I was thinking this too. Seems kinda pointless to me

Old 12-01-2015, 09:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
will anybody go to this and speak up? will it be worth it? what does everybody think about this meeting? are they just blowing smoke?

R u going?
Old 12-01-2015, 09:39 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:

Yeah, why not just have it at 10 am in Baton Rouge? I'm sure a lot of people will show up to that one.

Are you kidding me? They would probably get more people at noon than at 930 or 10 am, which is the normal time of meetings here in BR.

I'm shocked they are even having it there. Must be glutton for punishment or something, because all they will get is an ear full in SWLA. Hope Larry isn't going to be there with all the bone heads across south Louisiana blaming him for the season opening early.

If people don't show up, when the commission will be right there, then they have no room to complain when seasons are set. Everyone that is responsible for the early seasons and the new zones will be right there. I understand some people have work schedules that prevent them from attending, but you can't please everyone. Hell, the commission could have just stayed in BR and said "Come on over if you want to speak". They chose to go to the people. Good for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Yeah, why not just have it at 10 am in Baton Rouge? I'm sure a lot of people will show up to that one.

Are you kidding me? They would probably get more people at noon than at 930 or 10 am, which is the normal time of meetings here in BR.

I'm shocked they are even having it there. Must be glutton for punishment or something, because all they will get is an ear full in SWLA. Hope Larry isn't going to be there with all the bone heads across south Louisiana blaming him for the season opening early.

If people don't show up, when the commission will be right there, then they have no room to complain when seasons are set. Everyone that is responsible for the early seasons and the new zones will be right there. I understand some people have work schedules that prevent them from attending, but you can't please everyone. Hell, the commission could have just stayed in BR and said "Come on over if you want to speak". They chose to go to the people. Good for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
lol I agree 100%, some people won't be happy if you **** them with a gold dildo.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:30 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
lol I agree 100%, some people won't be happy if you **** them with a gold dildo.

I can assure you, that wouldn't make me happy regardless of what it was made of.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Have no worries, the commission has our best interests at heart. They have no ulterior motives. No hidden agendas. These aren't the droids you're looking for.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (37.9 KB, 442 views)
Old 12-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

My cousin in Carlyss says the "salinity control" is to keep the grass back in the duck marshes of wealthy landowners around the lake and to push out the trout in Big Lake. The commissioners hate fishing guides and oystermen and want to keep their numbers down. Making the lake freshwater will accomplish this
Old 12-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
My cousin in Carlyss says the "salinity control" is to keep the grass back in the duck marshes of wealthy landowners around the lake and to push out the trout in Big Lake. The commissioners hate fishing guides and oystermen and want to keep their numbers down. Making the lake freshwater will accomplish this
15 Catfish or bust!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:43 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
Your cousin is an intelligent man.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

25 trout or bust
Old 12-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:

Nah, I ain't going. I saw what they did with all that expensive data they compiled recently. I'll be cleaning the birds I slaughtered that morning while they sit around and listen to everyone's grievances. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...ain't hannennin

Just give me the official dates and bag limits and I'll be out there, struggling for my 2 teal, 2 greys, 1 scaup and 1 spallard hybrid. Rain or shine.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:02 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

The weir management plan is reasonable and based on sound science. Since they took over management of the weirs in 2012, CPRA has done a very good job managing the weirs according to the management plan. CPRA has been kind enough to share detailed weir opening data with us that has allowed us to compute correlations between the condition of finfish in the lake (specks, redfish, drum, and gafftops) with the weir openings.

The most consistent and strongest correlations between our data on fish condition and any environmental factor we've considered are the NEGATIVE correlations between weir openings and fish condition. In other words, the more the weirs are opened, the thinner the fish are. The attached graph completely disproves the hypothesis that weir closures somehow negatively impact fish condition. The asterisks denote statistical significance at the p < 0.05 level.

Our working hypothesis to explain the NEGATIVE correlations between weir openings and fish condition is based on an analogy with rotating pastures to maximize the forage available for cattle. If the gates between pastures are open all the time, cattle graze all the pastures continuously which results in less production than limiting the pastures that can be grazed and opening the gates occasionally. As applied to the weirs, the idea is that the marsh behind the weirs produces more forage if more separation is allowed to reduce feeding pressure from the finfish until the crop of forage has achieved a larger biomass.

In any event, there is no scientific basis to complain about CPRA's management of the weirs. The biggest issue relating to Big Lake that is within regulatory control is the overharvesting of oysters.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
R u going?
i highly doubt i will be able to make it due to my work schedule right now.

but, my question to you people is this.... is it worth it? last time they gathered data and held meetings and heard everyone's thoughts and concerns, they went and voted the exact opposite!

i understand now is the time to go and make your voice heard, but that voice can only be heard in numbers and how many people will actually go and speak up?

here is another question: how is your season's harvest numbers compared to years past?

but hey, at least we opened the season early.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:06 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

The most consistent and strongest correlations between our data on fish condition and any environmental factor we've considered are the NEGATIVE correlations between weir openings and fish condition. In other words, the more the weirs are opened, the thinner the fish are..
This makes zero sense. You can't sit at calcasieu point and do a creel survey from fishermen and assume that all fish are affected by the weirs Those "thin" fish may have been caught miles away from the weirs at black lake or prien lake. They may have not even swam within miles of the weirs.

Overanalyzing it
Old 12-02-2015, 11:04 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
This makes zero sense. You can't sit at calcasieu point and do a creel survey from fishermen and assume that all fish are affected by the weirs Those "thin" fish may have been caught miles away from the weirs at black lake or prien lake. They may have not even swam within miles of the weirs.

Overanalyzing it
The average body condition of fish in the lake is most probably impacted by the total forage availability in the lake. Fish and forage both move throughout the system in any 90 day span that most strongly impacts the body condition. Further, our study samples fish from multiple locations and includes as many or more fish from the southern end of the estuary as from the northern end, so it either ignorant or dishonest (or both) to characterize our creel surveys as limited to Calcasieu Point. However, as expected, the fish condition does not depend on where in the estuary they are sampled from.

Does increased oil production in the mid-east impact oil prices and availability in the US? Sure it does.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
i highly doubt i will be able to make it due to my work schedule right now.

but, my question to you people is this.... is it worth it? last time they gathered data and held meetings and heard everyone's thoughts and concerns, they went and voted the exact opposite!

i understand now is the time to go and make your voice heard, but that voice can only be heard in numbers and how many people will actually go and speak up?

here is another question: how is your season's harvest numbers compared to years past?

but hey, at least we opened the season early.

This year harvest is down, started to drop off after the 3rd week. Water is way too high, needs to drop about a ft.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
The average body condition of fish in the lake is most probably impacted by the total forage availability in the lake. Fish and forage both move throughout the system in any 90 day span that most strongly impacts the body condition. Further, our study samples fish from multiple locations and includes as many or more fish from the southern end of the estuary as from the northern end, so it either ignorant or dishonest (or both) to characterize our creel surveys as limited to Calcasieu Point. However, as expected, the fish condition does not depend on where in the estuary they are sampled from.

Does increased oil production in the mid-east impact oil prices and availability in the US? Sure it does.

Get out of statistics and numbers mode and go into common sense mode. I have never fished the weirs but I would bet that the majority of fish that are caught there are fat. That's why they are there to fatten up on the abundance of baitfish.

In what way possible would weirs being open (which provides an abundance of forage) cause fish to be thinner?
Old 12-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

All that cardio from the flowing water.

I should make a burn handle.