SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002
Default impellar for water pump

ok guys going to get my impellar for my water pump on my 90 suzuki tomorow. its been 3 years so i guess i should change it..

I have never done this but i am going to try everyone said it is easy..
has anyone ever done this on this motor that can give me some help as far as what to do or should i just let them do it. I like to try and do my on maintence
Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

I have done it on the old 20 and 25 HP Suzuki's and the 40 and 200 HP Mercury's.
On the Suzuki's, I had to remove the bolts and pull the food down, be sure to pull straight down. Remove the impeller housing and change out the rubber impeller.
I also changed out a wear plate and the gasket for the housing. Unless things have
changed a lot, it is pretty easy once you see it. Just be sure to get new gaskets
or o-rings so nothing will leak and all the water goes into the engine.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

From what I have seen people post........they recommend you get the impeller kit. When changing the impeller, the metal housing should also be changed.

I changed mine on a 40 hp engine. Drain the oil. Then take the linkage apart on the shift rod before taking the lower unit off.

The lower unit is heavy and you might need some help holding the lower unit in place to get the bolts started when putting it back together.

Reconnect the shift linkage just like it was......then check to be sure it shifts at the correct place.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

yea changing the impeller is a easy job...clean and inspect the housing...if its in good shape and not severly pitted or grooved then i'd leave it..if it is.. go ahead and change it while ya got it apart....i'd recommend buying a manual for your exact motor, it will more than pay for itself over time....you can find them on ebay pretty cheap..
Old 08-12-2009, 05:53 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

get the water pump kit. changing the impeller only will get you by but changing the plates and gaskets will make your pump pump stronger. changing the pump and impeller is pretty straight forward just notice how you took it apart and put it back together that way. the only thing you really need to make sure is to put the impeller blades facing the right way. when you pull the housing off make note which way the blades are bent and put the new one the same direction. you'll see what i mean when you take it off.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

well i lucked out went to lake area marine and got my part. figured i would sneak out back and talk to a mechanic. when i walked out i seen a 140 suzuki. with a mech. taking the bolts out of the motor and he said he was changing the water pump. i stood back and watched whole thing. pretty simple but glad i got to see it. feel alot more confident
Old 08-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

That was great luck.........get you can do the job in much less time now.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Redfish

Cash: 600

Hey adamfence if you want to drive to jennings i will change it for free i worked for the old jennings boating center for years till they closed then i went in to the fire service so i can hunt and fish more send me a pm if you want to