SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070
Default Road Tripping to Canada

Well boys, the Stars have aligned and it looks like I'll get a little time to myself and take a trip. Finished up a big project and turnaround I was on for about 2 years, now I'm gonna unwind. Leaving Monday and gonna be gone about 10 weeks. First destination is Durango, Co where I'll pull out the fly rod and meandor my way NE for about a dozen days finally ending up somewhere NNW of Denver, then I'll spend about 10-15 days in Wyoming around Teton and Yellowstone, then to Montana. Montana will be about 15 days spent fly fishing, training dogs, and hiking Glacier National Park. Then the final destination, heading to Saskatchewan to do some waterfowl hunting for a couple weeks. I'm planning to be back home mid October, just in time for good football and prep for our hunting season. Gonna be making this trip with just me and the ole mutt, gonna be a blast. Camping out the truck with a camper shell, about to finish the prep this week. If anyone has been to those areas and has some must see destinations then I'll be glad to hear them, this trip is penciled in, all dates and destinations are subject to change with the wind! I'll come on SC when the trips done to post a link for pics or something. Peace!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Hell yeah, sounds like an amazing trip for sure. Can't wait to read about it when you get back.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

A single man's life.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Redfish

Cash: 794

Wow, good for you. Sounds like an awesome trip. Wife and I spent 10 days in yellowstone and the tetons last spring. Amazing place
Old 08-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

My brother lives in Durango. If you get the chance, take the Silverton train up to Silverton Colorado. It'll be a couple hour trip, but takes you along mountains, rivers, etc. Very beautiful from what I remember years ago. He's gone out camping for his week of work, I will ask him when he gets back in town what else there may be.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

My kinda trip.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 864

Enjoy!!
Old 08-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich View Post
My brother lives in Durango. If you get the chance, take the Silverton train up to Silverton Colorado. It'll be a couple hour trip, but takes you along mountains, rivers, etc. Very beautiful from what I remember years ago. He's gone out camping for his week of work, I will ask him when he gets back in town what else there may be.
Take Hwy 550 (Million Dollar Highway) from Durango up through Silverton then on to Ouray. One of the most beautiful drives I have ever been on in any country! Google it.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

See u in SK in october! Oh also register your gun (or anything of value) at the local homeland security office that way you can prove you brought it into canada so u dont get charged to bring it back in. Also check the gun laws before crossing the border.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:45 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470282284.508203.jpg

Glacier park 2004
Awesome place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
Take Hwy 550 (Million Dollar Highway) from Durango up through Silverton then on to Ouray. One of the most beautiful drives I have ever been on in any country! Google it.
Done deal! I've been told by multiple people about that stretch, must be unreal! Another good ride I'm looking forward to is the Beartooth Highway from Mt to Yellowstone!
Old 08-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

Many national parks along/near your path with natural sights you'll see nowhere else: Zion, Canyonland, Arches, to name a few. If you get a chance, the Buffalo Bill Center in Cody, Wyoming has the most amazing gun collection as well as several other parts devoted to Native Americans and Buffalo Bill's road show. We spend 1.5 days seeing everything there. Have fun, but just a warning, you will often OD on the wonders you will see.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Since you'll be in SWCO, check out the Mesa Verde national park too. Indian dwellings in the side of the cliffs. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 609

Just got back Tuesday from Durango, beautiful country! Mesa Verde is a really cool place and you can spend 2 days touring it. Ouray and drive in from Silverton is unbelievable! Also check out Soaring Zipline, only access to it is by the train. First class operation.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 474

Pre-register your firearm with the Canadian firearms center. It will save you a lot of time and headache when crossing the border. Fill out the form and submit your payment online. Last time I flew into Alberta I was the only hunter that had pre registered. I was able to clear in 5 mins while the line of guys waiting to register and check at the airport was 25-30 hunters deep. Just an FYI. Also, certain felony convictions and even an OWI on your record could possibly make you not eligible to enter the country. They are very strict on this. Hope you have a great trip and be safe !!!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Anyone from La that says road trip and Canada in the same sentence has my vote. Have fun an be safe. Post pics of Montana. Always wanted to go there.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:31 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Beautiful area. You'll enjoy it. More Geeese than you can imagine. They are everywhere.

Drink lots of water and make your dog drink every chance you get. When you think your not thirsty drink anyway. Altitude sickness is real and can ruin your trip. Driving up the way you are will help but it can still get you. The dry air and altitude there will allow dehydration to sneak up on you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.8 KB, 323 views)
Old 08-05-2016, 11:25 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshgoat View Post
Pre-register your firearm with the Canadian firearms center. It will save you a lot of time and headache when crossing the border. Fill out the form and submit your payment online. Last time I flew into Alberta I was the only hunter that had pre registered. I was able to clear in 5 mins while the line of guys waiting to register and check at the airport was 25-30 hunters deep. Just an FYI. Also, certain felony convictions and even an OWI on your record could possibly make you not eligible to enter the country. They are very strict on this. Hope you have a great trip and be safe !!!

True this. Had a friend who had a DUI from many years ago drive to Canada and he was not allowed in!
Old 08-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

Yes big time on Million Dollar highway, Durango to Ouray. Also, just 9 miles N of Ouray is Ridgway. There is a state park there with a lake loaded with fish. And yes don't miss out on the Bear Tooth Highway, beautiful drive & Red Lodge is a real nice little ski town during summer.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:33 AM
Tripletail

Little late but anyway.

Took the trip. It was unreal. Camped, hiked, fished, trained dogs, and hunted all over Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan for 2 months. Trip was flawless, perfect weather, comfortable truck sleeping conditions, no hiccups, not even a flat tire. Did much of the trip by old school atlas due to my poor cell service. Hunted for 8 days in Saskatchewan, killed over 800 birds. Caught brown trout, rainbows, and cutthroat in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. Hiked and camped in Rocky Mountain NP, Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone NP, Galcier NP, and Banff NP. Words and pics do the trip no justice, I could've lived like that for a year straight. Favorite places to hike and fish were SW Colorado and NW Montana. Wyoming was lackluster besides Teton And Yellowstone. Every single day I look at my calendar and try to figure out how to do it again. Going to Montana for 8 days this month to fish, hike, and train dogs again, hopefully it'll hold me over until my next adventure.