SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 11-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228
Default 11-2-17 Calcasieu Crappie v/s MEM1971

Well the white perch pretty much won today. Kind of , lol. Got to first hole around 930. Already kinda aggravated cause doctor office took so long just to draw two little things of blood! Anyway first 3 drops in the brush pile/tree tops resulted in 3 very nice bites and fish that all wrapped around branches and broke off! So o course now I have really moved everything around down there and they skeptical to bite. Wouldn't u know when I finally do get a bite that son of a gun wrapped me up and broke off again!! I repeated this several more times over the next couple hours only putting 5-6 in livewell. Should of had at least 20. It was for sure one of them days where nothing seems to go ur way. But it was windy , river is about a foot above normal after recent rains, and the current is strong which didn't help with hang ups. Move onto next hole. Quickly catch 3-4 and then they stop and water moving so hard I kept getting hung up there too. Decide to go to old town bay. Get there and two, not one, but two boats sittin at what I like to call my hole, lol. Anyway as I'm trolling up I wat h one of them catch 3 and other boat is leaving. After they talk and he leaves I talk to guys in boat that stayed and the old boy that just left boxed 30-40 white perch in about an hour and then left. I did not catch a fish there but enjoyed conversation. I don't have many fish so I head back to my tree tops with a different idea. This time I add weight to my line and take off cork. I would let it down 14-20 feet to the bottom and just picked it up off bottom. Could not do it too fast or wouldn't hit but if u did it just right in right spot they would nail as soon as it came off bottom. Picked up a dozen or so and best of all only one break off. Should of been doing this all along. Still wishin I'd got to that other hole earlier ,lol. Finished day with 19 Crappie. Average fish at best as the big ones are still down there after wrapping me up all morning. Started cleaning early this am before I snapped quick pic. Good luck all and tight lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1410.jpg (47.2 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1411.jpg (35.7 KB, 194 views)
Old 11-03-2017, 03:57 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,062
Default 11-2-17 Calcasieu Crappie v/s MEM1971

Nice trip despite the struggles. Anytime I catch more than one I consider that I won the round. So with 19, I would say you easily came out on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,160

Thanks for your entertaining, high quality, and informative reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Tripletail

Since I started posting under freshwater and I'm sure buying my shiners and talk at the store I have ran into 7 or 8 different boats all Crappie fishing. Most are catching. Glad to see it! I'm not going to give exact directions or mark my brushpiles for anyone but will say exactly how I caught them and in what area. Hope everyone catches! I'm working this weekend days and when I got the riverstage reading this am I noticed the river was muddied up worse than it's been since I started Crappie fishing in September. I'm itching to get on the lake and do some saltwater fishing so definitely going to make one trip soon but these white perch are great eating and it's so easy to just lower boat from boat lift and go. And it cost about $10 v/s $50-$100 on the lake. Hoping it's just this last but of rain washing down and clears back up but it has seemed to slow down some. But it only takes one new hole to find and that opinion would change real quick. Been stopping at all the tree tops I can see but honestly it's the ones u can't see and know that are under the water that produce the most. Going to sink some willow tops this winter. Working nights next week so will make one or two trips when get off graveyards. Good luck. O I forgot to mention under first post. I didn't talk to the guy that caught those 30-40 right before I got there but the guys I did talk to wat he'd him the whole time as they were there first and they said he caught half on shiners and half on white feather jig. I have not tried nice yet but will soon! I have had success in the past using a green and black tube jig. That old boy was fishing his 4 feet under a cork. I have been fishing mostly 6-7 feet deep in 14 feet of water. May try shallowing up next trip but this last one I caught em in 20 feet almost on bottom. Just depends where u at I'm guessing
Old 11-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Well, I've managed a few every trip but just learning the area. Has been a good change of scenery for me at least. Hopefully the water doesn't stay muddy. I'd like to try them again this Friday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Where yall fishin ? I dont want the cords. heck, just the river and maybe the boat ramp ? lol
Old 11-06-2017, 05:43 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjohn View Post
Where yall fishin ? I dont want the cords. heck, just the river and maybe the boat ramp ? lol
Launching out of White oak. Fishing both directions from there. But, as I stated earlier, I haven't done great. Just a few every trip.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:36 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjohn View Post
from watermelon bay to dans bay on Calcasieu River. Lately have been across river from camps on goos ferry rd. It may be starting to slow some but still catchin. Any tree top or brush pile in 8 -20 feet of water. The ones in 8 or even 6 feet usually hold smaller white perch. 10-14 feet has been the best. AT first fishing 6 feet under a cork was best now tight lining 6-20 is whats working. give it a try.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:40 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
Launching out of White oak. Fishing both directions from there. But, as I stated earlier, I haven't done great. Just a few every trip.

That first trip u and ur buddy caught those 15 was a great trip for first one. Most of my fish are caught south of old town bay. Holes by watermelon bay and Goos Bay have produced best. Id try further south if u still fishing by pilings in old town bay north to white oak. 5-6 holes I fish north of old town bay to dans bay have not been to good lately. But Dans Bay is where I caught the largest so far. 15 1/2 ".
Old 11-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Red Snapper

15 1/2 is a pig. Our biggest was 14 1/2. Our first trip was the best. Luck I guess.