SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-17-2017, 07:29 PM
swglenn swglenn is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 157
Cash: 492
Default Burns Hyacinth Cutter??

I found this picture today. Supposedly a commercial fisherman uses it to clear a lane through the lilies. I don't have any more details.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-17-2017, 11:59 PM
Gerald Gerald is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles / Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,530
Cash: 3,783
Default

I would love to see that thing in action.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2017, 07:38 AM
Cajun87's Avatar
Cajun87 Cajun87 is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Iberia
Posts: 104
Cash: 426
Default

http://aquaticplantnavigator.com/AQUATIC_NAVIGATOR.php
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Feesherman Feesherman is online now
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Moss Bluff
Posts: 2,568
Cash: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun87 View Post


That's a beast. Wonder if it will eat up cattails.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Gerald Gerald is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles / Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,530
Cash: 3,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I would love to see that thing in action.


And now I have seen it ..... wow.


I wonder if the blades would break if [when] you hit a log?


I bet there would be a bunch of duck or deer lease hunter that like to have trails cut so that they could get to more areas in there lease.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-19-2017, 08:00 AM
Matt G's Avatar
Matt G Matt G is online now
Ling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Judice, LA
Posts: 3,049
Cash: 3,264
Default

I know I'd pay in a heartbeat for someone to run that through my lease.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-19-2017, 08:16 AM
T-Boo's Avatar
T-Boo T-Boo is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 665
Cash: 2,564
Default

Hopefully, Miami will do something about the hyacinth problem in the main canals.
And it IS a problem.
It's such a great fishery, I hate to see it go down like this.
I'd be willing to pay more for a permit, if need be.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-20-2017, 08:24 AM
meat killer 86's Avatar
meat killer 86 meat killer 86 is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SW LA
Posts: 424
Cash: 659
Default

Buddy of mine has one and uses it to make trails in the marsh. His is set up a little different but its serves the same purpose. Each blade spins opposite of the other and it digs a trail 2ft wide and 2ft deep. Goes through anything in the marsh.
He called it a chipmunk or something. I'll have to ask him again to make sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-20-2017, 12:31 PM
BGcoreg BGcoreg is online now
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Deridder
Posts: 287
Cash: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Boo View Post
Hopefully, Miami will do something about the hyacinth problem in the main canals.
And it IS a problem.
It's such a great fishery, I hate to see it go down like this.
I'd be willing to pay more for a permit, if need be.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


You think Miami cares about the fishery and the income it produces versus the income they get from duck leases?

I'd be curious to know how many permits sell. I know I've seen the permit numbers in the 700s but I'd be shocked if they actually sold 700 permits..

Kinda the same argument with Lacassine pool, it's a duck refuge and bass fishing is just a plus. But yeah I agree with you about paying a little more to have canals maintained


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-21-2017, 05:08 AM
T-Boo's Avatar
T-Boo T-Boo is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 665
Cash: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGcoreg View Post
You think Miami cares about the fishery and the income it produces versus the income they get from duck leases?

I'd be curious to know how many permits sell. I know I've seen the permit numbers in the 700s but I'd be shocked if they actually sold 700 permits..

Kinda the same argument with Lacassine pool, it's a duck refuge and bass fishing is just a plus. But yeah I agree with you about paying a little more to have canals maintained

Despite my griping about hyacinth, I'm still really just glad they still let us pay to fish their property.
700 permits x $40/permit = $28,000.
I'm pretty sure that's chump change to a large company like Miami. It probably pays for the annual Christmas party or something.
I'm sure they own machinery that handles the stuff. And it's only a real problem in the main canals.
Is it possible that the Burns is a better bass fishery than a hunting ground for ducks? I don't duck hunt. Is hyacinth good for duck hunting?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-21-2017, 06:30 AM
BGcoreg BGcoreg is online now
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Deridder
Posts: 287
Cash: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Boo View Post
Despite my griping about hyacinth, I'm still really just glad they still let us pay to fish their property.
700 permits x $40/permit = $28,000.
I'm pretty sure that's chump change to a large company like Miami. It probably pays for the annual Christmas party or something.
I'm sure they own machinery that handles the stuff. And it's only a real problem in the main canals.
Is it possible that the Burns is a better bass fishery than a hunting ground for ducks? I don't duck hunt. Is hyacinth good for duck hunting?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Good question, if it's a better fishery then Its louisiana's best kept secret haha. And I don't believe ducks use hyacinth for anything.

Isn't there a phone number on the permit? I'd be curious to know what kinda answer you'd get if you made a serious complaint about the canals being blocked


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-21-2017, 08:58 AM
CameronHunter CameronHunter is offline
Sand Trout
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: sw louisiana
Posts: 25
Cash: 373
Default Miami Canals

Far as I know, the trappers that have each section spray their own canals and they must provide their own chemicals too. Fur and alligator hides used to be worth enough that it was worth the trappers spending money and labor to spray all the trails so they could access their lease to set let traps or alligator lines. Now fur is worthless and alligator hides nearly so. So way less incentive for the trappers to get out there and spray so he can lose money this fall and winter.

BTW if you think Miami cares about duck leases then apparently you have never leased from them. Fishing and hunting is just a drop in the bucket compared to oil royalty and pipeline.

CH
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-21-2017, 09:13 AM
cgoods17's Avatar
cgoods17 cgoods17 is online now
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: lake charles
Posts: 596
Cash: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronHunter View Post
Far as I know, the trappers that have each section spray their own canals and they must provide their own chemicals too. Fur and alligator hides used to be worth enough that it was worth the trappers spending money and labor to spray all the trails so they could access their lease to set let traps or alligator lines. Now fur is worthless and alligator hides nearly so. So way less incentive for the trappers to get out there and spray so he can lose money this fall and winter.

BTW if you think Miami cares about duck leases then apparently you have never leased from them. Fishing and hunting is just a drop in the bucket compared to oil royalty and pipeline.

CH

yea my grandmothers brother (great uncle?) has had a lease on little chenier road for many many years. that marsh on south side is where i cut my teeth hunting and same for my dad.

i believe it is a section and half.. but you cant even find a decent rice field blind for the price they pay for that lease. its crazy how cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-28-2017, 04:08 PM
ScubaLatt's Avatar
ScubaLatt ScubaLatt is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moss Bluff
Posts: 2,244
Cash: 2,566
Default

Hunting lease and fishing permits make up aout 1-2% of the company's total revenue stream. They don't really care about hunters or fishermen.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Matt G's Avatar
Matt G Matt G is online now
Ling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Judice, LA
Posts: 3,049
Cash: 3,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I know I'd pay in a heartbeat for someone to run that through my lease.

Well, made a run to the lease this past weekend and looks like this contraption might be the only way I can make it to my ponds. The hyacinth is THICK THICK in the canals. We had 2 Prodrives and could only make it a couple hundred yards out of a 2-1/2 mile run.


If anyone knows this guy someone else with one of these cutters who could make a run to Grand Chenier, let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Fishalot Fishalot is online now
Flounder
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: scott la
Posts: 31
Cash: 269
Default

Matt, you and your Dad could build this Man!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-08-2017, 07:49 PM
cajun bill cajun bill is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 798
Cash: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronHunter View Post
Far as I know, the trappers that have each section spray their own canals and they must provide their own chemicals too. Fur and alligator hides used to be worth enough that it was worth the trappers spending money and labor to spray all the trails so they could access their lease to set let traps or alligator lines. Now fur is worthless and alligator hides nearly so. So way less incentive for the trappers to get out there and spray so he can lose money this fall and winter.

BTW if you think Miami cares about duck leases then apparently you have never leased from them. Fishing and hunting is just a drop in the bucket compared to oil royalty and pipeline.

CH
We had a lease near Wax Lake for 30 years and while the prices weren't outrageous (compared to those at Pecan Island), we received "zero" support from Miami when we had problems. I threw in the towel about 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map