SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Flounder

Cash: 744
Default Rutherford Beach info

Getting that time of year for me to start hitting the beaches. Didn't do too well last year around Holly and Mae's. I got my eyes on Rutherford beach this time. Been reading a few threads on here about it. I really want to get into some bull reds. I am hoping to go Friday. The wind supposed to be out of the north Wed, Thurs and Friday.

So can anyone give me info on Rutherford beach?

How accessible is the beach itself, can it be driven on and what not. Looking at the satellite views there looks like a road running along the beach west from the main road going to the beach. Is it a public road?

Where is the best place to buy bait. I will be coming all the way from Vernon Parish and will hit Lake Charles around 6 AM. I see a Crab-Man Bait Shop and M&S Fresh Shrimp listed in Cameron. Will be a bit outta the way but can hit either if there is nothing along my way.

BTW. How goes the progress on the beach improvement East of Holly Beach? May have to check it out while I am there.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

I own property there and I was there last weekend. The water was as pretty as I have ever seen it. The beach can be driven on. If you have a four wheeler you can drive west for miles. I cant give info on fishing there. I dont surf fish. Thats all I got.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Flounder

Thanks rustyb, I don't have a four wheeler. I'll be in a Z-71 but not planning on going too far down the beach. Just far enough to find a good place to get my line in the water.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

We have a 4WD Honda Pilot. Driving on the beach is not a problem. There are often some iffy spots. You could probably get stuck if you weren't careful. Some beach visitors bring out 2WD trucks and cars. On the weekend, odds are someone will pull you out in the off chance you get stuck.

I'm not sure which road you mean, but the road S from 82 is public and all the paved roads appear to be public. Bait is always an iffy deal, especially if you hope to bring both crab and mullet. I always call the sources ahead of time before I drive past JTs seafood on Lake St. in LC. JTs is expensive, but there's a good chance you won't find crab if you drive past without it. Cormie's in Lake Charles is the most consistent source for mullet. Lots of other places have mullet, jut not dependably.

I keep a list of phone numbers for the bait suppliers and start calling about the 210 split. If you go to the W side to check out Holly, there's Meaux's seafood in Holly Beach proper and Holly Beach seafood in Carlyss. Holly Beach seafood has crab more often than anyone other than JTs. There's also R&E Seafood in Hackberry. Richard Meaux (R&E Seafood) is a cool guy, but I've never bought crab from him. Worth a call though if you're in a tight spot. Crab Man is cool, he just does not always have crab.

Holly Beach looks great. We've caught multiple bull reds every from we've fished Holly or Rutherford going back to last November. We just pick a spot that looks good, cast as far as we can and wait. We ended up a bit E of the end of the road at Rutherford, but the peeps here suggested a mile or two W on the beach would be better because the water gets deeper faster. Have not tried that yet.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

It looked as nasty as it gets yesterday
Old 04-28-2014, 06:28 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

I'll be down Saturday to check out the restored beach. If that dont work out I'll be checking out Rutherford also
Old 04-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,488

You should be able to drive west down the beach about 5 miles. There is a sand road on the ridge. In years past, you could drive from Rutheford beach all the way into Cameron.

Good luck, I'll be at work.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
You should be able to drive west down the beach about 5 miles. There is a sand road on the ridge. In years past, you could drive from Rutheford beach all the way into Cameron.

Good luck, I'll be at work.
Still can.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Flounder

Thanks folks.

MathGeek, I usually fish the rocks around Holly and always buy my shrimp from Meaux's. I pick up mullet from Cajun Fast Mart in Carlyss, but I wont be going that way this time. I have yet to hook into a bull red at Holly, either the crabs or hardheads get to my bait first. I haven't hardly caught anything since the first time I went down there a couple years back. I did hang something big last year I think it was. It jumped twice and looked like it was about 4 feet long. It hit the rocks just right or something and cut my 65lb steel leader. Still heartbroke on that one.

I just want to find another spot is all. I am drawn to the rocks for some reason like I have to fish there and rarely catch anything.

The sand road on the ridge mentioned by PaulMyers must be what I spotted on the satellite view. As for getting stuck, I have only been stuck twice and that was both times I went offroad. HA. Nah its been good to me, heavier than a Pilot but Mickey Thompson rubber has proved pretty good so far. I should be okay there.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 04-28-2014, 09:14 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinSlagle View Post
Thanks folks.

MathGeek, I usually fish the rocks around Holly and always buy my shrimp from Meaux's. I pick up mullet from Cajun Fast Mart in Carlyss, but I wont be going that way this time. I have yet to hook into a bull red at Holly, either the crabs or hardheads get to my bait first. I haven't hardly caught anything since the first time I went down there a couple years back. I did hang something big last year I think it was. It jumped twice and looked like it was about 4 feet long. It hit the rocks just right or something and cut my 65lb steel leader. Still heartbroke on that one.

I just want to find another spot is all. I am drawn to the rocks for some reason like I have to fish there and rarely catch anything.

The sand road on the ridge mentioned by PaulMyers must be what I spotted on the satellite view. As for getting stuck, I have only been stuck twice and that was both times I went offroad. HA. Nah its been good to me, heavier than a Pilot but Mickey Thompson rubber has proved pretty good so far. I should be okay there.

Thanks again,
Mike
We fish Holly east of Holly beach proper, between the town and the channel. With the restored beach there is very little to hang up on. No rocks, just sand and soft bottom.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinSlagle View Post

Thanks again,
Mike
Mike. That is exactly what you are seeing on GoogleEarth.

If you start to get stuck, stop and let about 1/3 of the air in your tires out. You should be able to just drive right out then.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Redfish

Cash: 714

thanx man, I have 5 buddies foaming at the bits to hit that part of beach! I would not plan on getting bait in cameron early in morn.Crab man may n may not be there. If you have to go that way go ahead n get your bait from sony meux (if he's not there he will be sooner r later) in the mean time take small circle hooks w/ a dab of shrimp n in the 1st r 2nd gut you should find all kinds of bait fish, if not then move! When you find ur baitfish rig up with whateva you catch, sling it out, set rod in sand spike n let 'em roll!! you will catch fish! I have fished from rutherford to high island for many years n have allways loved holly! n there is no best spot actually I have buddies that prefer certain areas but we have caught bull reds n sharks all over.Talking about the rocks at j. bayou they can be so hot that you can barely cast n there with so many boats n other times its dead.Be mobile, use fresh dead n chill out holly beach style!
Old 05-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Hit Rutherford once and didn't really know jack about it. Finished the day with four bulls. Smallest 22 and biggest 25lbs. Nice beach and friendly people on it. Already planning a July 4th camping trip. Y'all coming?