SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Kayak and Canoe Forum

Kayak and Canoe Forum Discuss non-motorized watersport activities here, including kayaking, canoeing, etc.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:05 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default Kayak fishing success

I'm working with my teenage son to get some experience handling the kayak and fishing from it in fresh water before tangoing with the bull reds.

He finally had some success this week on putting some catfish in the box. It is a much different experience for him, and he is enjoying it and growing in confidence and ability, as well as putting some meat in the freezer to get us by until our next salt water trip.

Some more notes on the Ascend 128T kayak:

The seat is very comfortable, and the platform is stable. The rod holder that sits above the deck has proven useless and it and the mount have been removed. The four rod holders that go into the deck work very well. We needed to caulk all the hatches and seams on top to keep water out of the inside of the kayak. Three pool noodles are perfect for carrying the kayak on top of our SUV.

My son is hoping to learn to castnet bait from the kayak. I dunno if that's gonna work. We'll have him practice first in a place that's safe if he tumps it. Any tips on cast netting from a kayak?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00840.jpg (73.5 KB, 298 views)
Old 04-25-2015, 11:29 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,557

Nice catch!

I would like to see my wife's reaction when I bring in some catfish and throw them on the granite countertops!
Old 04-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

Nice catch there!
Old 04-25-2015, 01:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728
Default Kayak fishing success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
Nice catch!

I would like to see my wife's reaction when I bring in some catfish and throw them on the granite countertops!

That's what I was thinking. I'd be hanged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2015, 02:02 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default Cleaning fish at the kitchen sink

There are a few secrets to cleaning fish at the kitchen sink.

The first thing to do is get up in the morning and put on the pants in the family.

It also helps to suggest once or twice that you might appreciate it if the wife learns to clean the fish. This way, she remains grateful that you are cleaning them and she doesn't have to.

More seriously, it's really just a matter of taking your time, being careful, and making sure you do not leave a mess. It takes more time, but it is so much more comfortable (air conditioning, no rain, no bugs) that it is worth it.

My wife appreciates that fish and game are food and for cleanliness and healthiness, it is best to keep most food handling surfaces very clean and the kitchen is the best place to do that.

I don't mind using the fish cleaning stations at Calcasieu point, Bridgeside Marina, the Jetty Fishing Pier, etc. when we are staying in places that don't take a shine to cleaning fish inside, but there's nothing as nice as an air conditioned kitchen. With some practice, it is not hard to keep everything clean, the only exception is when cleaning really big fish (bull reds and drum).
Old 04-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

Check your ladies boys.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:54 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

The first thing to do is get up in the morning and put on the pants in the family.

I damn near choked on my dip when I read that. Good stuff MG!

Nice job by Jr. get some video of his first time throwing the net from the yak. This could be priceless blackmail material down the road.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:59 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837

My son throws a cast net from a hobie outback without any problems. Surprised me! He's 25 and never thru one and is fairly new to kayaking. Bought it at bridgeside marina in grand isle last year and within 1/2 hour taught himself and started catching mullet��. In a kayak the main thing to remember is keeping that center of gravity in side the kayak. Don't ask me how I figured that one out....
Old 04-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

I can remember, back in the mid 70's, before size limits.......my grandfather would come in with two ice chest of fish.....slide them on the floor of the kitchen and tell my grandmother "Ruby, clean them fish"......and of course she would
Old 04-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

My grandmother would pluck and clean 3 limits of ducks and specklebellys in the kitchen sink and have a couple them cooking in a gumbo before my brothers and I would wake up from our post hunt nap. Try finding a woman like that with all her teeth nowadays.

On the fish cleaning note, I know that some gourmet chefs insist on leaning their own fish and do it in the food prep area. Just keep your knife sharp and wear a glove on the hand you hold the fish with and you won't make too much of a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2015, 06:15 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347
Cheers

[QUOTE=MathGeek;751055]There are a few secrets to cleaning fish at the kitchen sink.

that right there.... was the best...
Old 05-09-2015, 11:58 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,303

[quote=BuckingFastard;751123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

that right there.... was the best...
X2!!!!!