SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 01-13-2020, 01:31 PM
Flounder

Cash: 642
Default BR Area Beginner Reloading Classes

Anyone know of reloading classes for novices in the Baton Rouge area?
Old 01-15-2020, 09:54 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Rifle, pistol or shotshell? I know of no classes. The folks at Louisiana Gun and Reloading Supply on Jefferson may know of such. I learned from the Lyman's Reloading Handbook for rifle cartridge and an equivalent book, back in the '70's for shotshell. If you follow their directions, which are conservative, you will stay out of trouble. I have been loading rifle cartridges of and off for 25 years. In the last 4 years it has been more 'on' as I do a lot of competitive shooting. Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol club has a lot of members who reload and would be willing to help. I would do the same but I am in Lafayette. I load 2000+ rifle cases in a year and have some pretty pricey equipment for precision and speed. But, I started with a basic RCBS Rockchucker press/loading kit that has all the major components one needs to get started. In fact, I still have and use the 25 year old Rockchucker II for secondary operations and loading. You can get started and load high quality ammunition without spending much money. another forum, accurateshooter, has areas dedicated to reloading and helpful folks.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:35 PM
Flounder

Cash: 642

Thanks for the response. The class is not for myself, I've been reloading for almost 40 years. I have no children, so I've been slowly passing my firearm inventory dow to some nephews and a friend's son (hunter) that live in the BR area. One is showing a minor interest in reloading but comment they don't have the time. I live over 1100 miles away so mentoring them is out of the question. I thought if I paid for them to attend a basic class maybe that would motivate them to get involved in reloading.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Got ya' Reb. I have not heard of any reloading classes in Louisiana as a whole. Good gesture on your part though.