SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 02-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default My brother's only offshore trip

We got a late start due to heavy fog. It was too bad for a fun trip to the East and I heard the waters were dirty and the fish moved. I ran to the West. We ran the 8 mile red pass 100% on electronics. Radar and GPS and depth finder. Once in the gulf we had another 25 miles of fog past many rigs. In the fog we found schools of spanish mackrel and donated some equipment to them before moving on. The last 5 miles were clear and the water turned to a nice blue color. Just before the first rig we hit a rip line with some birds working The trolling lines went in the water but there was very little current. It was just starting to form. We ran it for about a mile or so with nothing and no marks so we proceded to the first rig. The day was already running late. The grass was so thick we had trouble trolling and the sharks were also (very) thick. My screen lit up with them. The next rig was the same.

We ran 11 miles over to another one that usually produces and drew a blank also. I tried jigging there also and this time my brother hooks up with what looked like a good amberjack or even a grouper. We pulled it away from the rig and the fight was on. After a short battle the line was cut. Shark Attack! My brother wanted to stay there but I could see what was happening so we moved on to another area about 8 miles away. He could not understand why the first place we had a good fish and I was leaving.

This moved turned out to be a good one. On our first run past the upcourant side of the rig we get a hit on a pink bomber. We soon break the ice with a 33 inch yellowfin. My brother's first tuna. On the next pass we get a double and loose both of them. Hate when people stop reeling to get rod in fighting belt. While reeling in the lines my brother gets hit again and gets a nice fat blackfin about the same size as the yellowfin. Once the action stops we move next door. Nobody home and I decide to go back to the rig we just left and jig up something.

It worked and the fight was on once the boat pulled the fish out of the rig. This fish made 3 good runs.

Jan thought it was a little tough untill the fish saw him and ran the other way. He now knows why they are called reef DONKEY'S. That mule almost had a human to troll around the gulf for a while. SOB took one heck of a run that even surprised me. Must have pulled out another 200 feet of line.

After that one and with him getting green it was my turn and it was not long before I landed one just about a carbon copy of his. At about 2:30 I could see the fog coming out to greet us so we headed in. Ended up with 1 Yellowfin, 1 blackfin and 2 amberjack one of which I am donating to a Vietnamese Super Bowl Party.

Jan has had his offshore wishes fulfilled. Even without a wahoo He only wants to target redfish and bass from here on out.

Life is Good!

Capt Hoop
Our Freedom
Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Very nice....that fog sure is spooky running on electronics
Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

Another nice report capt.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 AM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,824

Great report!!!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Hell yeah!!!! Hopefully i get to make a trip offshore this year
Old 02-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

I'm Vietnamese and I'm gonna watchthe Superbowl!! Give me the other AJ!!!!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,750

Nice offshore trip....
Old 02-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,358

that's one hell of a report, great job!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

Sorry dink but the other AJ is headed to Connecticut with my brother. My vietnamese neighbors and I get along very good. We help each other out a lot.

Montauk I used to run Block Island and Long Island Sound waters for over 40 years. I thought they had fog in New England but I got indoctrinated to FOG once I got here. La. can claim the worst fog in the country without a doubt.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:50 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Especially venice fog the worst...and nothing spookier than not being able to see the bow of a 36 foot boat your in and running by radar alone..
Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Redfish

Cash: 2,437

Nice work hoop!