SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Venice offshore

Had a trip on a private boat Saturday. I run on this boat a lot when ever Nick has clients with him.

I got this boat out of the shop last week due to a shifting problem. We headed out of the marina but turned around immediately. Unfortunately the problem was not fixed. Todays look at the motor revealed a blown lower unit on the port motor. A plan was made to run on my boat Sunday as it would have been too late for us to run after I got mine ready.

We got a good early start because my boat only runs 30 mph. I did not bother to look for bait because the guys there already were having a problem finding any. Captain Eddie had mentioned a few bait out there but said he got most of his fish on chunks. I was going for the throat in one shot.

We were greeted with violent morning weather. Heavy rain and lightning in front of us with more severe stuff to the right and a strong cell off to our left. I managed to run a bit to the left and run through the weakest part of it split the 2 systems. We did not keep dry but did not get drenched. About 25 miles offshore we were out of it for now.

When I got to my destination only Eddie, Pittman, and a sport fisher were there. My 2 buddies were there an hour ahead of me and already had fish in the box. We watched them hook up and all we managed were bonito and rainbow runners. I held under the rig when a heavy storm hit us but the second time it hit and looked like we had it the rest of the day we all ran. closer to home. Once at the other rig closer in there was a fleet of boats. I made a few drifts and noticed the storms were letting up in the gulf. The city was getting hit but we were in the gulf over 100 miles away. The morning was gone and we had nothing in the boat. I thought bottom dunking to salvage the day or run back out for a shot at tuna. I was soon headed back out.

Our first good bite was lost after about 1 minute. Things were not looking too good for us this late in the day. We are getting action with bonito and rainbow runners anyway. All of a sudden a real fish starts burning line off the reel. A few seconds later a second rod takes off. We have a double! At first I thought the lines had crossed but when I had the 2 rod tips together I realized they had the same fish. A father and son tag team. What could be better. They made quick work of that battle.

Both hooks were together in the same spot. I separated them for this picture. At least we had one on board and it was a good sized one. No monster but still a respectable one.

A few more drifts and nick has a good one on and this one is whipping his butt. It is a much bigger fish and there is only one person fighting it. There was no way Nick was going to pass off the rod. Anything close to a hundred or bigger I like another gaff to help it over the side.

After that they decided to run in and try for red snapper. We picked up 4 before some sharks moved in.

It was already late and we did not want to see many more 12 pound or better red snapper ending up like this.

They were everywhere.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM