SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505
Default i-Pilot Pedal

Thinking of getting a new trolling motor before I'm left without one. For the people that have an I-Pilot do y'all have the footpedal also or just the copilot? From what I've seen they come with the copilot "handheld controller" but not the foot pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Just hand controller you were around your neck...
Old 05-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Just hand controller you were around your neck...
You have a problem when it comes to fighting the wind and have a fishing pole in your hands. Or do you just get used to it and becomes second nature.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Redfish

Cash: 926

Becomes second nature. I keep mine on my wrist vs having it around my neck.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Redfish

Cash: 703

I have the remote and the foot pedal. If the remote goes dead you're done fishing. Unless you have the foot pedal. It will save the day for you. Also, I use the remote in deeper waters such as Mermentau and Henderson. When I fish the pool I prefer the foot pedal. The I pilots also have the spot lock feature which I love. It won't keep you right on a tree top like you would think, you WILL run into it, but in the pool fishing the ponds, you can hit the spot lock and cast away. I would say it keeps you in a 5'-10' radius. I pilot is definitely the way to go. Co-pilot lets you steer with remote. I pilot lets you set you're compass to a heading and keeps you on track hands free. It also gives a speed at which you're trolling. I use it alot for spider rigging. Also it will remember a trolling path and anytime you go to you're favorite spots you hit track, select you're speed and its hands free. It all works very good in deep water or water with no obstructions. It doesn't work great in the marsh, for obvious reasons.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Runner View Post
I have the remote and the foot pedal. If the remote goes dead you're done fishing. Unless you have the foot pedal. It will save the day for you. Also, I use the remote in deeper waters such as Mermentau and Henderson. When I fish the pool I prefer the foot pedal. The I pilots also have the spot lock feature which I love. It won't keep you right on a tree top like you would think, you WILL run into it, but in the pool fishing the ponds, you can hit the spot lock and cast away. I would say it keeps you in a 5'-10' radius. I pilot is definitely the way to go. Co-pilot lets you steer with remote. I pilot lets you set you're compass to a heading and keeps you on track hands free. It also gives a speed at which you're trolling. I use it alot for spider rigging. Also it will remember a trolling path and anytime you go to you're favorite spots you hit track, select you're speed and its hands free. It all works very good in deep water or water with no obstructions. It doesn't work great in the marsh, for obvious reasons.
Thanks buddy I was wondering how it worked in Lacassine. You've answered a lot of questions.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Runner View Post
What size do you have? I was thinking of maybe getting the 70lb.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
What size do you have? I was thinking of maybe getting the 70lb.

Also do you have the I-pilot which is hooked to your depth finder or just the auto pilot.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Redfish

Cash: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
Also do you have the I-pilot which is hooked to your depth finder or just the auto pilot.

Only works on hummingbird units.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Ted View Post
Only works on hummingbird units.
False

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
DuceRods.com
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oops! View Post
Becomes second nature. I keep mine on my wrist vs having it around my neck.
I clip mine to my belt loop

DuceRods.com
Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Redfish

I have the 55 terrova. It works with lowrance units as well, you have to buy an adapter. Bass pro can get one for you no problem. The terrova comes with the foot pedal, the power drive it is an option. For the money, go terrova and don't look back.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigRatNoMeaux View Post
I clip mine to my belt loop

Yep me too
Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Redfish

I forgot to mention, the newest breed of I pilot out is called I pilot link, it lets you store trolling courses as well. It has a feature called follow the contour. If you're fishing a lake with say a 12' shelf you can program It to stay with that contour. Now I'm not 100% sure about my next statement, but bass pro and a few others are all saying the same thing. 1. This feature requires you have a Humminbird 798 or better, and only Humminbird. You also would need the navionics chip of the lake you're on for this to work. I thought long and hard about ordering mine with this on it but a Navionics chip is about $100 and I think Humminbird names there units after the price tag. A 798 is $700 an 898 is about $898 and a &998 is $1000 or better. So for the money I bought a $40 adapter and stuck with my lowrance. Also Us2 transducer only works in 2d it won't work in 3d. I hope this helps you.

Minkota also makes a quick release bracket for the power drive and terrova. It's $50 for the aluminum version and $100 for the composite. I went aluminum, it's worth EVERY penny. I use my boat with a pop up blind to hunt out of and with the quick release I can have my trolling motor on and off my boat in under a minute.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Flounder

Cash: 725

I have a terrova. Ithe previous owner put it on. I have the foot pedal (I don't like it at all!) and I have the remote ( better but still not sold on it.) I had it on Henderson the other day and the wind was blowing, I felt I had to concentrate much more on trolling motor than fishing. Mine does not have the ipilot. I was thinking about selling it so I started seeing what others thought. It seems everyone with the ipilot swears by it. So, it seems either I need to add the ipilot to be happy, or just go to a more traditional setup.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,010

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think the terrova was rated for salt water use. Think I read that somewhere in the owner's manual. Is that right?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Redfish

I know mines not. I'm not a Minkotta expert but I know they make I pilots for S/W. not sure if its the terrova though. I could have swore I read somewhere that you can get I pilot on a riptide, not sure though. My riptide is hand controlled so I don't see it happening for me.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Sailfish

They make an I-pilot riptide.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 974

I have a 101 I-Pilot on my boat. The remote is very slick, run it from any where on boat, let my guests fish the bow when the want.
I also have the MK foot control accessory as a back up and have tested it. Works fine, just like one on a bass boat. I keep it in a dry box with my rain gear, just in case I need it one day.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,010

I really like my rip tide with I-pilot, I haven't been carrying the foot pedal, just extra batteries for the remote. But, that's not a bad idea for a backup. I really like giving up the front deck to my friends, that's one of the best things about I-pilot, control from anywhere in the boat. Plus there are times, when you just need to sit back, enjoy a soft drink and take in the view.