SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default Deer track in the morning!

Just got the call a little while ago! One of my co-workers son shot a HUGE buck tonight on their lease up by Palmetto. This 19y/o has hunted all across LA, MS, and Tx with possibly hundreds of animals under his belt. To hear him talk, this thing must be a MULE!

They found good blood, tracked for about 100 yards, then jumped the deer, which ran deeper into the woods. They flagged their way out and wanted to let him lay up until morning. I will be bringing my tracking dog out in the morning in an attempt to find him! Not sure who is more nervous - him or me!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:07 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,826

Blood trail and flagging, sounds like you and the dog will be starting off on the right foot tomorrow. Good luck and get some pics of that MULE....
Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned

doesn't sound good, is it low fence?

sometimes you can push them a mile
Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

Be sure to post pics and good luck. By them getting out when they did, i think you'll be alright.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I hope he can still pick up that scent in the morning. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:27 PM

Cash: 376

good luck ! i hope yall find that mule!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
doesn't sound good, is it low fence?

sometimes you can push them a mile
Oh yeah, this is as "low fence" as they come....NO FENCE! LOL

It is a lease they have between Palmetto and Swazzee Lake. Can't go out until 9:00 not to disturb the other hunters. Not sure what the dog will do, the longest one we have ran is 6 hours old, but he found that one w/ no problem.

I hope it's barely alive when we find it, I love seeing that dog go in !
Old 01-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Redfish

Cash: 829

What breed of dog do you use to track?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:36 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by swglenn View Post
What breed of dog do you use to track?
Jagdterrier, aka - German Hunt Terrier
Old 01-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

well... did u find him ??? Pics ???
Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
King Mackeral

Well, after a long day, you can't recover what aint dead! WE arrived at the hit site around 9:30 and found that the deer was shot at 80 yards, w/ .308, did not fall but ran off in the same direction it was heading when it came out. Almost immediately, they found blood and trailed it for about 290 yards according to my GPS.

I put JD down and he immediately took trailing hard running through the blood and flagged trail pullin gme along. Their flagging stopped at 295 yards where they last jumped the deer last night. I found the wound bed, which had red blood, but no signs of bone, stomach bile/contents, or lung tissue. To me it looked like a low hit that was bleeding and not mortal. That was reassured when they tell me he bolted out of the cover and seemed to leave the area like he was unhurt hopping tree tops like a olympic track star.

We tracked him pretty good out to 400 yards, w/ the blood thinning out less and less with each step. Over the last 200 yards, we would find minimal blood rubbed low to the ground on palmettos, but nothing on the ground. I found one spot where he had dropped some blood on a log that he crossed. Finally at 565 yards from the hit site, we came out on another logging road and could not locate his direction of travel from there, even with the dog. I think this one will be walking around and get shot in a couple of days chasing does!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

Hoping y'all found him... There have been lots of awesome deer killed this year.

Ooops, same time post
Old 01-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Well, after a long day, you can't recover what aint dead! WE arrived at the hit site around 9:30 and found that the deer was shot at 80 yards, w/ .308, did not fall but ran off in the same direction it was heading when it came out. Almost immediately, they found blood and trailed it for about 290 yards according to my GPS.

I put JD down and he immediately took trailing hard running through the blood and flagged trail pullin gme along. Their flagging stopped at 295 yards where they last jumped the deer last night. I found the wound bed, which had red blood, but no signs of bone, stomach bile/contents, or lung tissue. To me it looked like a low hit that was bleeding and not mortal. That was reassured when they tell me he bolted out of the cover and seemed to leave the area like he was unhurt hopping tree tops like a olympic track star.

We tracked him pretty good out to 400 yards, w/ the blood thinning out less and less with each step. Over the last 200 yards, we would find minimal blood rubbed low to the ground on palmettos, but nothing on the ground. I found one spot where he had dropped some blood on a log that he crossed. Finally at 565 yards from the hit site, we came out on another logging road and could not locate his direction of travel from there, even with the dog. I think this one will be walking around and get shot in a couple of days chasing does!
Thats exactly right Bryan....... Been on lots of those!!!!!!!!! but if he picked it up the next morning, you have yourself a good dog!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I have a lab that has tracked a few deer for me. I never trained him for it, he just has a real good nose and has found 5 out of 8 deer I have tracked with him. The 3 that he didn't find were shot in the evening and we tried that next morning.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
I have a lab that has tracked a few deer for me. I never trained him for it, he just has a real good nose and has found 5 out of 8 deer I have tracked with him. The 3 that he didn't find were shot in the evening and we tried that next morning.
My lab is right at 3 years old, do you think it's too late to train him to track deer?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
My lab is right at 3 years old, do you think it's too late to train him to track deer?
Not at all!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
Either your lab will track or he won't.
Have seen some that have been great w/ no training and some that couldn't find their butt in a box. BUT THEY WERE GREAT RETRIEVERS!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

I found a deer shoulder the other morning on the road in my deer hunting area that was gnawed down to the joint. It looks like coyotes are very good trackers too. I don't know if this deer was shot or not. I didn't shoot it. My bud, who is a big deer hunter, told me that coyotes can make easy kills when it is so cold if they can find a bedded deer. Sounds like I should do some predator hunting. I've heard coyote hunting is much harder than deer hunting. Hope it ain't no cougar. There are lots of coyote tracks around but I have not even seen one yet. I used to hear them a lot but not lately.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Not at all!
PM sent
Old 01-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned

seems like if the deer stayed in the same area he was hit the night before, he's hurt bad enough to die.

sorry yall didn't find it