SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 10-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,507
Default Great day on Saturday in Bay Jimmy

I got to my spot about an hour to late and only boated 10 Trout, but they were all nice ones. The bite started before the sun came up. As I was pulling up to my little hole I noticed shrimp jumping like crazy and new right off the bat that I was late before the bite turned off I had caught ten trout all between 14" and 17" one after the other. My first ten casts and first nine shrimp I had pulled them in. Yes you added it up right, I was able to net two trout on one shrimp

Sorry no pics, the marina was packed so I had to quickly clean my catch before pulling the boat out the water

FYI for the Myrtle Grove guys, those trout have been in the same location for the last two weeks.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Why did you think you were late when the shrimp were jumping? Sounds like you were right on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm
Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
Why did you think you were late when the shrimp were jumping? Sounds like you were right on time.

You know... that is a good question. I just remember saying to myself, darn... I'm late. I was unfortunately right however, because about five minutes into the bite or ten trout and the bite stopped as fast as it started for me.

Might have to try it out again this weekend.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:06 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Why use shrimp when they were so turned on?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:15 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visco View Post
You know... that is a good question. I just remember saying to myself, darn... I'm late. I was unfortunately right however, because about five minutes into the bite or ten trout and the bite stopped as fast as it started for me.

Might have to try it out again this weekend.

Not trying to criticize just trying to offer a little advice. I'm not sure what type of bottom structure you were fishing but typically when a bite is fast and furious like that you can still move around and pick away at a few more. I have never had a bite go from 10 trout in a row to absolutely nothing. The bite will slow gradually and before it goes to nothing. Once again I'm
Not trying to criticize but it sounds like the school got spooked. A hatch might have slammed or something. I can usually move around to another spot and find a couple more though. Save your live shrimp next time though. When they're busting bait at day break that's the perfect time for topwater. Nothing beats a blow up on a skitterwalk.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
Not trying to criticize just trying to offer a little advice. I'm not sure what type of bottom structure you were fishing but typically when a bite is fast and furious like that you can still move around and pick away at a few more. I have never had a bite go from 10 trout in a row to absolutely nothing. The bite will slow gradually and before it goes to nothing. Once again I'm
Not trying to criticize but it sounds like the school got spooked. A hatch might have slammed or something. I can usually move around to another spot and find a couple more though. Save your live shrimp next time though. When they're busting bait at day break that's the perfect time for topwater. Nothing beats a blow up on a skitterwalk.

Thanks for the advice, next time I will pay a little more attention to what is going on to see if I was the culprit for why the bite stopped just like that.

I do not normally use live bait, but all the reports I had been hearing about was no live bait, equals no fish. I did move around that morning but was unable to find the school again.

I did throw my she dog a few time in another spot with no luck. There was a few boats around me that was using popping corks, and I did not see them pull one fish in the boat.

Come to think about it, the last fish I caught was a, roughly 10lb black drum which really stired up the water. That must have been the turning point.

When I was at the marina cleaning the fish, I was talking to another guy that had said the bite was odd that day. He went on to say pretty much the same thing I said, it was hot and heavy for a short period of time, and just like that it stopped. He was targeting reds not trout.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:19 AM
Flounder

Cash: 686

thanks. glad u got on them. Tried 2 weeks ago when the the front just came in and could not fish in bay chene and jimmy due to wind. Got skunked in magnolia marsh. that area is really messed up due to dredging. this year has been a bad year for me out of myrtle grove. too many skunked or 1-2 fish trips since march. Never has happened before. Might have to make another trip instead of crossing ferry and fishing the pt.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:39 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarai View Post
thanks. glad u got on them. Tried 2 weeks ago when the the front just came in and could not fish in bay chene and jimmy due to wind. Got skunked in magnolia marsh. that area is really messed up due to dredging. this year has been a bad year for me out of myrtle grove. too many skunked or 1-2 fish trips since march. Never has happened before. Might have to make another trip instead of crossing ferry and fishing the pt.
I am with you, haven't really done much near myrtle grove this year either. Well, unless you talk about reds, which are always in mass numbers.

I have been normally running to GI, but something told me to try it out, and it paid off. I m thinking about pushing my luck and going again tomorrow morning. See you out there if you make it.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Tripletail

Going to be at Myrtle grove around 0600, anyone else going to brave it?

Winds around 20mph and temp in the high 40's
Old 11-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Tripletail

To much wind, decided to stay in the house this morning. The fact that we had limbs blown down from a nearby oak was the determining factor!

Gonna try it again in the morning.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Flounder

Cash: 686

yea i had fish on my minds until u open the door at 530 and the wind and cold hits u then its back to bed. Not as adventurous as I use to be. Cold no problem, cold and windy, forget it. Will make a trip this week but probably gonna hit the pt. Inside fishing seems to have turned on over there.