SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 07-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455
Default Planting for Ducks

Was talking with the farmer of my lease this week and I plan on going meet with him later this week to show him blind locations so he can bush hog around them. He said he planted a little bit of millet and encouraged me to bring Japanese or brown top millet with me to throw out around my blinds if I would like. Any advice on what kind of millet I should go with? Or something else that would grow easily, maybe rice? How many acres would a 50 pound sack be good for? I have never planted it before. I hunt a type of marsh impoundment south of White Lake would be the best way to explain it. It's leveed all the way around and they drain it every summer and pump water back on it before teal season. So it is dry right now.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Brown Top goes a loooong way. 20-25lbs covers 1 acre.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

If it's never been planted before, it takes about 2# fertilizer to 1# of millet seed. I'd say about 25# per acre of seed. G&H seed will help you. Buy enough and they will give you the spreader cart to use.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I would plant Japanese Millet it grows well in standing water. Browntop is actually better for well drained soils. If you need a broadcaster you can come borrow mine. I have one that you pull behind a 4 wheeler and one that works on the pto of a tractor. Id say 15-20lbs an acre
Old 07-08-2014, 12:50 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
I would plant Japanese Millet it grows well in standing water. Browntop is actually better for well drained soils. If you need a broadcaster you can come borrow mine. I have one that you pull behind a 4 wheeler and one that works on the pto of a tractor. Id say 15-20lbs an acre

This or G&h sells a waterfowl mix. If you get it in the ground soon you'll be ready for teal season. Most millet takes 60-70 days to mature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm
Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Meaux be right. Japanese Millet for duck ponds. Teal and greys luv it!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
This or G&h sells a waterfowl mix. If you get it in the ground soon you'll be ready for teal season. Most millet takes 60-70 days to mature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm

Yeh that's why I wanna plant it this week. I'm gonna go to Chastant Bros right next to Dink's locksmith shop on Pinhook in Lafayette. They have Japanese and brown top.
Thanks for offering cart Bob. I'm just gonna spread it with some hand spreaders. I don't know how bad mud is going to be out there. Gotta cross a few pirogue ditches that may have a little water in em.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

not to hijack the thread but anybody knows of anything that I could throw in a duck pond that can't be drained to give ducks a lil extra food to eat on.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Redfish

Cash: 901
Default Blind Area

Spec,

I would plant everywhere BUT around my blind. That way there is no doubt that you aren't bush hogging or knocking down any planted seed when making or knocking down the vegetation. That's where most people get in trouble with baiting. They plant then knock it down while making a spot for decoys. Better off not using any planted material around your blind and go natural...

Good safe plan would be to leave an area a tractor pass around your blind un- planted then stir it up. Most don't know the baiting regs, Just saying....
Old 07-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Seth, I have found ducks like Japanese millet better in my experience.

Like he said above just plant outside of your pond. We had one field we left as refuge last year because someone planted too close to the blind.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Swordfish

Looks like I'm gonna go with Japanese millet. Thanks for the input guys. And I will stay away from the blind with it.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Flounder

Cash: 688
Default millet sorghum rice

I have used jap millet, seed rice and sudan sorghum mixes in past with good results in both sprout/stand. Only issue I have had was to put water on sorghum too soon and killed it off. I used 50 lb of 2 of them and hand spread over 4-5 acres with good results (intent is for crawfishing also). Deer love the sudan also-not a bad result.

Chastant sells out of Jap millet pretty quick and does not reorder. GH in kaplan may have. Hanks in Rayne was out. Happy Hunting.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

if i had a choice and could control my water year around, i would not waste a penny on any kind of seed.......

why not have a variety of food, kind of like a buffet..... WET SOIL MANAGEMENT!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,063
Default duck food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackhead62 View Post
not to hijack the thread but anybody knows of anything that I could throw in a duck pond that can't be drained to give ducks a lil extra food to eat on.
Sago Pondweed

From Keslers wildlife
Old 07-31-2014, 11:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Looks like I'm gonna go with Japanese millet. Thanks for the input guys. And I will stay away from the blind with it.

Why is everyone so concerned with planting close to the blind? You can hunt planted millet just as long as you hunt planted/grown seed and not broadcasted seed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk