SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds)

The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds) Discuss investing and investments here! Do your own due diligence before investing. We are not responsible for any advice or recommendations within this forum!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

For those who don't know what approval I am talking about here is a brief description. GSAT owns wireless spectrum outright. Read below for definition.

Terrestrial Low Power Service (TLPS). This is the FCC's proposed rules to allow Globalstar to open up 22 MHz of underutilized spectrum in the 2.4 GHz band for low power mobile broadband which would add a 'Channel 14' to the existing channels 1, 6, and 11 already being used for Wi-Fi in that band. The proposal is that this would be a "managed Wi-Fi-Like" service: a premium version of traditional Wi-Fi, providing dedicated capacity over a clear channel, resulting in as much as 5-7 times the performance of more crowded channels. Faster Wi-Fi speeds and greater capacity are a huge part of meeting consumer demand--whether it's OTT content options such as Netflix, the Cable Wi-Fi initiative, or the use of Wi-Fi by mobile operators to expand coverage, capacity, and improve the economics of mobile broadband. TLPS represents an exciting opportunity to offer consumers another competitive mobile broadband option that sits somewhere in between the "wild west" of traditional unlicensed services and comparatively expensive, but licensed, cellular data services. Given that Channel 14 is already available in Wi-Fi chipsets at the hardware level, the time to deployment is vastly shorter in comparison to alternative bands being considered for the broadband inventory. TLPS also opens the possibility for unique and innovative services, delivered by both incumbent operators and new entrants.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

i know, but just not willing to take the risk. How can you find out what is going on? When will the FCC decide?

I had 8000 shares, so i would have been down $5500 if had not sold when i did.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasper Master View Post
i know, but just not willing to take the risk. How can you find out what is going on? When will the FCC decide?

I had 8000 shares, so i would have been down $5500 if had not sold when i did.

There is no definitive date as to when they will make a decision. It could be tomorrow or 3 months from now or even next year. The public comment period ended four months ago. They could of decided it then. The CEO in the last conference call said it should be some time in the 4th quarter which starts today.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480

This is one of the most shorted stocks out there. I sold first of week thinking this was coming. Unfortunately the market isn't truly fair. The big money guys can move a smaller stock if they wish to. Not a stock issue just somebody decided to run price down. I'll sit on the side and watch where this goes. Might be able to buy back in in the 1$ area.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Red Snapper

Yep! and once this stock started falling it was probably taking out Stop-Losses left and right. I bet some people checked their stock mid day and it was all sold.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

lost 6000.00+ already i will say ive lost more in the time ive owned this stock gambling @ L'auberge then i have on this stock.... lol so i guess it could be worse . im in it to win it ....30$ or bust !!!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Trophy Trout

I own another stock that I lost my a$$ on. Still own it hoping someone will buy it out. This far down I wouldn't sell. I also wouldn't pay attention to it so I wouldn't be depressed. I think will ultimately rebound but may be a couple months.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:31 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

I knew it going into it , it is what it is ..... A risky investment
Old 10-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546
Default This can't be good!

Kerrisdale Capital to Host Live Presentation and Webcast on Globalstar, Inc.Font size: A | A | A
9:30 AM ET 10/6/14 | PR Newswire
Kerrisdale Capital ("Kerrisdale"), a New York based private investment manager, announced today that it will host a live presentation on mobile satellite services provider, Globalstar, Inc. (NYSE: GSAT). Sahm Adrangi, Chief Investment Officer, will debunk Globalstar's highly misleading claims about its business and discuss why Kerrisdale believes that Globalstar's equity value is worthless, in contrast to the Company's current $4 billion dollar market capitalization.

The live presentation will begin at 11:30am ET at AXA Event & Production Center at 787 Seventh Avenue, New York. Please arrive 15 minutes in advance to sign in. Registration for the live webcast of the presentation can also be accessed at kerr.co/10614. The full research report and presentation materials are available at factsaboutglobalstar.com.

"Globalstar is the most egregious stock promotion we have come across since Sino-Forest," says Sahm Adrangi, Chief Investment Officer of Kerrisdale Capital. "Globalstar's proposed paid Wi-Fi offering is nothing more than the company's latest gimmick to stave off bankruptcy, a stunt that rivals Allen Chan's fake forests as the most successful stock-market fantasy we've ever come across."

Kerrisdale believes the company is currently valued at $4 billion due to misleading and ill-informed publicity over the company's spectrum holdings and a proposed licensable Wi-Fi channel currently under review by the Federal Communications Commission. This licensable Wi-Fi channel will never be commercially viable, and its spectrum is unusable terrestrially in all other use cases. The combined value of the company's unprofitable core satellite business and potential terrestrial applications of its spectrum assets is lower than its debt burden, making the stock a zero.

Terrestrial Low Power Service is Not Commercially Viable

Globalstar's proposed Terrestrial Low Power Service ("TLPS") will never be commercially viable, based on Kerrisdale's in-depth research and discussions with numerous industry experts. In a world that already has three free, unlicensed channels in the 2.4GHz band and an additional 22 in the 5GHz band, one more channel, hypothetically accessible to only a circumscribed set of users, will never be worth many billions of dollars.

Wi-Fi "Congestion" is Highly Manageable

The Wi-Fi "congestion" that Globalstar purports to address is typically misdiagnosed and is a problem that IT professionals routinely solve every day by using best practices and modern technology. Kerrisdale's comprehensive report shows that network administrators have more than enough channels at their disposal to address co-channel interference, which would deem Globalstar's Wi-Fi offering irrelevant.

Heavy Debt Burden and an Unprofitable Core Business

Globalstar's mobile satellite services business has more than $500 million of outstanding net debt, and over the twelve months ended June 30, 2014, generated just $15 million of adjusted EBITDA and negative $95 million of operating income. Since emerging from bankruptcy in 2004, it has racked up cumulative operating losses of $460 million, increased its share count by a factor of 13, been de-listed from NASDAQ in 2012, defaulted on its debt in 2013, and is likely to violate its financial covenants again in the near future.

Kerrisdale's research report and presentation also discuss the public's increased usage of 5GHz Wi-Fi spectrum as compared to Globalstar's 2.4GHz Wi-Fi spectrum, consumers' relatively low appetite to pay for Wi-Fi and a discussion of how Globalstar's spectrum should be valued in a non-Wi-Fi use case.

Kerrisdale Capital holds short positions in Globalstar, Inc.

About Kerrisdale Capital

Kerrisdale Capital Management, LLC is a fundamentally-oriented investment manager that focuses on long-term value investments and event-driven special situations. Kerrisdale has $300 million in assets under management and is based out of New York City.

Contact

Agnes CaoKerrisdale Capital, LLCacao@kerrisdalecap.com 212-257-4385

SOURCE Kerrisdale Capital Management, LLC
Old 10-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Tripletail

Pooo. Glad i sold mine.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I'm all out at $3.10
Old 10-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Kerrisdale Capital to Host Live Presentation and Webcast on Globalstar, Inc.Font size: A | A | A
9:30 AM ET 10/6/14 | PR Newswire
Kerrisdale Capital ("Kerrisdale"), a New York based private investment manager, announced today that it will host a live presentation on mobile satellite services provider, Globalstar, Inc. (NYSE: GSAT). Sahm Adrangi, Chief Investment Officer, will debunk Globalstar's highly misleading claims about its business and discuss why Kerrisdale believes that Globalstar's equity value is worthless, in contrast to the Company's current $4 billion dollar market capitalization.

The live presentation will begin at 11:30am ET at AXA Event & Production Center at 787 Seventh Avenue, New York. Please arrive 15 minutes in advance to sign in. Registration for the live webcast of the presentation can also be accessed at kerr.co/10614. The full research report and presentation materials are available at factsaboutglobalstar.com.

"Globalstar is the most egregious stock promotion we have come across since Sino-Forest," says Sahm Adrangi, Chief Investment Officer of Kerrisdale Capital. "Globalstar's proposed paid Wi-Fi offering is nothing more than the company's latest gimmick to stave off bankruptcy, a stunt that rivals Allen Chan's fake forests as the most successful stock-market fantasy we've ever come across."

Kerrisdale believes the company is currently valued at $4 billion due to misleading and ill-informed publicity over the company's spectrum holdings and a proposed licensable Wi-Fi channel currently under review by the Federal Communications Commission. This licensable Wi-Fi channel will never be commercially viable, and its spectrum is unusable terrestrially in all other use cases. The combined value of the company's unprofitable core satellite business and potential terrestrial applications of its spectrum assets is lower than its debt burden, making the stock a zero.

Terrestrial Low Power Service is Not Commercially Viable

Globalstar's proposed Terrestrial Low Power Service ("TLPS") will never be commercially viable, based on Kerrisdale's in-depth research and discussions with numerous industry experts. In a world that already has three free, unlicensed channels in the 2.4GHz band and an additional 22 in the 5GHz band, one more channel, hypothetically accessible to only a circumscribed set of users, will never be worth many billions of dollars.

Wi-Fi "Congestion" is Highly Manageable

The Wi-Fi "congestion" that Globalstar purports to address is typically misdiagnosed and is a problem that IT professionals routinely solve every day by using best practices and modern technology. Kerrisdale's comprehensive report shows that network administrators have more than enough channels at their disposal to address co-channel interference, which would deem Globalstar's Wi-Fi offering irrelevant.

Heavy Debt Burden and an Unprofitable Core Business

Globalstar's mobile satellite services business has more than $500 million of outstanding net debt, and over the twelve months ended June 30, 2014, generated just $15 million of adjusted EBITDA and negative $95 million of operating income. Since emerging from bankruptcy in 2004, it has racked up cumulative operating losses of $460 million, increased its share count by a factor of 13, been de-listed from NASDAQ in 2012, defaulted on its debt in 2013, and is likely to violate its financial covenants again in the near future.

Kerrisdale's research report and presentation also discuss the public's increased usage of 5GHz Wi-Fi spectrum as compared to Globalstar's 2.4GHz Wi-Fi spectrum, consumers' relatively low appetite to pay for Wi-Fi and a discussion of how Globalstar's spectrum should be valued in a non-Wi-Fi use case.

Kerrisdale Capital holds short positions in Globalstar, Inc.

About Kerrisdale Capital

Kerrisdale Capital Management, LLC is a fundamentally-oriented investment manager that focuses on long-term value investments and event-driven special situations. Kerrisdale has $300 million in assets under management and is based out of New York City.

Contact

Agnes CaoKerrisdale Capital, LLCacao@kerrisdalecap.com 212-257-4385

SOURCE Kerrisdale Capital Management, LLC

Glad you posted this. Saw it this morning but wasn't smart enough to post it here!!! This is what I was talking about last week.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

I begged my broker to make me feel good about going in on this, but he refused. Glad he did
Old 10-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
I'm all out at $3.10
I wish I had done that!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Tripletail

Think i got out at 3.80. had bought in at $0.33!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Red Snapper

Do some research on Kerrisdale before you decide. They are trash. Every topic in their report is already being rebutted.

All the other Large funds that own millions of shares are saying that they are still in this.

The technical details they are claiming about the 2.4ghz spectrum channel 14 have already been tested and verified by several 3rd party entities and has been filed with the FCC and the FCC has acknowledged this fact.

The debt topic is a joke as well. Of course they have debt. They borrowed 1 Billion dollars to launch their new satellites. Guess who they borrowed it from? Jay Monroe, the owner who also owns the company that loaned the money to them. Look them up....Thermo Companies. They don't just throw money away.

This is just a money grab that should be illegal. Small investors will sell. After they make money by shorting the stock they will turn around and go long and make money on the way back up also. Smart on their part I guess. The SEC won'b bother looking into this so nothing we can do. I'm still long, but albeit nervous. I'm down A LOT.

Everyone who is in this stock is in it for one reason. The FCC approval. If you're in it for the financials and technicals then you're in the wrong stock.

Last edited by redaddiction; 10-06-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Red Snapper

I just noticed GSAT's 1 year price target on Yahoo Finance just increased today to $6.00.

Here is what one of the investment firms, Maglan Capital, are saying about this Kerrisdale report. This is from today.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

When Kerrisdale Capital first released its short thesis this morning, the characteristic plunge that we’re used to seeing from high profile shorts didn’t materialize, at least not at first. But when Kerrisdale CIO Sahm Adrangi began his presentation this morning the price fell by double digits very quickly, reaching -15% before bouncing back to -11% as opportunistic investors started going long to squeeze a crowded position and bulls built up their position even more.

TLPS is an end run around traditional gatekeepers: Odeon Capital

“Kerrisdale’s thesis reveals a material misunderstanding of what the TLPS opportunity is all about – their basic argument is the wifi of today works- is free (misconstrued) and there’s plenty available– so why would there be any value to Globalstar’s spectrum,” wrote Jason Bernstein for Odeon Capital Group in an email, standing by his Buy rating and $5 price target for Globalstar, Inc. (NYSEMKT:GSAT). “The answer is gatekeepers. Today, carriers and cable companies provide access, you need them to use wifi. Ultimately, TLPS provides an end run around the traditional gatekeepers, and we think that’s a very compelling incentive.”

Bernstein doesn’t completely dismiss the presentation, acknowledging that Globalstar, Inc. (NYSEMKT:GSAT) has a rough operating history and that some of the technical issues Kerrisdale raises are worth discussing, but ultimately he says that there is nothing that makes him change his opinion about the value of GSAT’s spectrum or the company’s prospects in general.

Maglan Capital says its increasing its position on Globalstar

When Maglan Capital explained its reason for going long Globalstar, Inc. (NYSEMKT:GSAT) earlier this year it used similar reasoning, arguing that GSAT should approach Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL), Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX), Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) and other tech companies that would want to offer customers free internet access to differentiate their products in the market, even if that meant paying for access up front.

“Imagine if Apple could offer its customers a ubiquitous, free, worldwide WiFi, with an unrivaled level of speed and clarity. How much more would customers be willing to pay for an Apple device?” Maglan wrote in a May letter. Maglan tweeted during the presentation that it’s buying more Globalstar, Inc. (NYSEMKT:GSAT), so it hasn’t been impressed by the presentation either.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
Do some research on Kerrisdale before you decide. They are trash. Every topic in their report is already being rebutted.

All the other Large funds that own millions of shares are saying that they are still in this.

The technical details they are claiming about the 2.4ghz spectrum channel 14 have already been tested and verified by several 3rd party entities and has been filed with the FCC and the FCC has acknowledged this fact.

The debt topic is a joke as well. Of course they have debt. They borrowed 1 Billion dollars to launch their new satellites. Guess who they borrowed it from? Jay Monroe, the owner who also owns the company that loaned the money to them. Look them up....Thermo Companies. They don't just throw money away.

This is just a money grab that should be illegal. Small investors will sell. After they make money by shorting the stock they will turn around and go long and make money on the way back up also. Smart on their part I guess. The SEC won'b bother looking into this so nothing we can do. I'm still long, but albeit nervous. I'm down A LOT.

Everyone who is in this stock is in it for one reason. The FCC approval. If you're in it for the financials and technicals then you're in the wrong stock.
Well, I'm still in it. I'm down pretty good right now but, it's money that I could afford to lose, although I don't really want to.

The gambler in me says buy more while it's down but, the conservative side of me says don't throw any more in than I already have.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Plan to buy back in lower just waiting to see where.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Red Snapper

Globalstar to Host Conference Call to Address Kerrisdale Capital Presentation
Globalstar, Inc.
7 hours ago
GlobeNewswire

COVINGTON, La., Oct. 7, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Globalstar, Inc. (NYSE MKT:GSAT) today announced that the Company's management team will host a public conference call to address the matters raised during Monday's Kerrisdale Capital presentation.

The conference call will take place on Thursday, October 9, 2014 at 4:30 p.m. EDT. The call will include prepared remarks followed by a question and answer session.

Details are as follows:
Conference Call: 4:30 p.m. EDT

Investors and the media are encouraged to listen to the call through the Investor Relations section of the Company's website at www.globalstar.com/investors. If you would like to participate in the live question and answer session following the Company's conference call, please dial 866-510-0707 (US and Canada), 617-597-5376 (International) and use the participant pass code 75944922.

Audio Replay: A replay of the call will be available for a limited time and can be accessed after 7:30 p.m. EDT on October 9, 2014. Dial: 888-286-8010 (US and Canada), 617-801-6888 (International) and pass code 83995346.