SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454
Default WMA Maintenance Budgets

Do any of you guys have any information on how the money for maintenance on the different WMA's is spread out? Is there any documentation on how the money is spent at each of the WMAs? Are there any ways for individuals to get involved with the maintenance planning?

Here is a link to the LDWF Budget planning.
http://www.doa.louisiana.gov/OPB/pub..._Fisheries.pdf

The way I see it is that they get almost $21M just for Acquisitions and Maintenance (pg. 39 of document) This does not count salaries, operating expenses, etc. This budget is purely for new equipment and maintenance on WMA's. If you divide that by the 51 WMA's in the state that is about $400,000 per year per WMA. (I'm sure it's not divided equally but this is just to make a point)

I'd like to know where this money is spent on the WMA's that I go to. I see very little maintenance done on these annually (I usually hunt at 4-5 different ones per year) and I just don't see that type of money being spent on Maintenance. Surely there is some type of accountability for this or auditing documents?

Any info here? Any input?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Flounder

Cash: 725

I'd like more info on this also!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Tripletail

I emailed a couple of the area WMA managers to see what information they are willing to share... Ill post the responses if i get any

Sent from my fruity phone
Old 02-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Tripletail

24 hours and still no response from the LDWF people that I emailed... I'm not holding my breath
Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

I know a few of these guys. Some of them don't answer emails right off the bat. Some just may not answer period. I can't say I blame them. Been there, done the civil service thing, and the general public always thinks they can do your job better than you. Also, some may just not want their name being attached to any of that information getting out. If this biologist hear tells you that that money isn't being spent, because HQ wont give him any to spend, and his name gets out, how long is he going to have a job? Those WMA managers don't decide if the money gets spent, only where they need it.

Just like in my former position. I didn't decide if money got spent, but where it got spent. It was up to other departments to decide IF it got spent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I have hunted Sabine Island, Buck Horn, Jackson Bienville and Big lake (along with Tensas) and have to say by far Jackson Bienville seem to have more attention and money spent with Sabine Island being the least maintained. I understand that it somewhat depends on access to do maintenance but JB has food plots, nice roads and just seems well kept but from what I understand it's one of the least hunted.... I would be curious to know how they decide where and how to spend the money.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
I have hunted Sabine Island, Buck Horn, Jackson Bienville and Big lake (along with Tensas) and have to say by far Jackson Bienville seem to have more attention and money spent with Sabine Island being the least maintained. I understand that it somewhat depends on access to do maintenance but JB has food plots, nice roads and just seems well kept but from what I understand it's one of the least hunted.... I would be curious to know how they decide where and how to spend the money.
If I understand correctly, JB property owners pay for a lot of the food plots, etc.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM
King Mackeral

JB is Weyerhauser land. Weyerhauser is more "conservation minded" than most of the other timber companies in my experience. I had a biologist tell me that if it wasn't for JB, there wouldn't be as many red-cockaded wood******s around.

They burn in JB for quail habitat as well. There's a lot of work put in there. But, it does get used pretty heavily.

Sabine Island on the other hand, does not get used near as much. That has a lot to do with access, and probably just as much to do with the fact that its hard as hell to hunt.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

you forget, they pay $100 for a role of ducktape.... someones always getting rich and id like to know who is taking our money as well. ive seen nothing done and conditions get worse. i think i seen maybe 1000 meters of new rock laid on one road.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

budget is tiered like this for 2014:

Whooping cranes
tweety bird projects

north La WMAs

south La WMAs
Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Sailfish

Never realized JB was setup and managed that way but it sure make a difference.... Sabine Island holds/held (been awhile since I hunted there) good bit of animals due to lower pressure than alot of places and I am sure the same reasons keep them from doing much maintenence
Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,320

One reason for low maintenance on Sabine Island is that it floods often.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Tripletail

Some of the places that I go to you need a 4x4 truck just to access the parking areas which is ridiculous. I will also say there are some WMA's that are very well maintained like you guys mentioned Jackson-Bienville.... Another that comes to mind is Bayou Macon which has all gravel ATV trails, parking areas, and camping areas. Very nice.

I used to go to Red River WMA every year and I haven't been back in several years because some of the ATV trails that I use to access my areas were impassable with my 2WD ATV. It's literally been 7 or 8 years since any maintenance was done on that ATV trail and the ruts are just too big for my bike. It wouldn't take a whole lot of effort or money to put some culverts and gravel in the trouble areas so this wouldn't be a perennial problem.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:13 PM
King Mackeral

How much use does Sabine Island get? In all honesty. You don't dump thousands of dollars into something that a very small percentage of people use. If they divide the money up based on usage, I would put money on it that SI is on the low end of the 50+ WMAs. Getting equipment in and out would be expensive, because you can't just drive it in. Then, there's limited space to drive anything. There is nothing inherently special about it.

I think if the place got more use, you might see more work put in there. But compared to many other WMAs, well, it doesn't compare.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
Some of the places that I go to you need a 4x4 truck just to access the parking areas which is ridiculous. I will also say there are some WMA's that are very well maintained like you guys mentioned Jackson-Bienville.... Another that comes to mind is Bayou Macon which has all gravel ATV trails, parking areas, and camping areas. Very nice.

I used to go to Red River WMA every year and I haven't been back in several years because some of the ATV trails that I use to access my areas were impassable with my 2WD ATV. It's literally been 7 or 8 years since any maintenance was done on that ATV trail and the ruts are just too big for my bike. It wouldn't take a whole lot of effort or money to put some culverts and gravel in the trouble areas so this wouldn't be a perennial problem.
I am just the opposite here (although I understand it) and I think the ease of access has ruined many a good hunting grounds. There are places we would have to ride ATVs for miles through some tough stuff that are now gravel roads for vehicles. You can literally drive (and I have seen it) a Camaro down a gravel road at Oua****a WMA, park it on the nice shoulder, and duck hunt 50 feet from your vehicle. Same with Boeuf WMA, same with Russell Sage WMA, same with Big Lake WMA, Tensas NWR, etc.

When I am hunting, I want to be as far away from anyone else as possible and will walk as far as I can to do that, but there are very few places where you can be one mile from an ATV trail. My favorite duck hole was in Tensas, it was a long boat ride and then a 3/4 mile walk from the river, now there is an ATV trail right to it.

I think this is one of the reasons duck hunting on some of the north La WMAs has gone way downhill - its way too easy to get around now and places that were once difficult to get you can now drive to them with a Prius

WMAs and NWRs do shut down ATV trails during turkey season and I think it makes a big difference. Would be a circus show if not haha!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:47 PM
Sailfish

I'm not complaining about SI, I was using it for example of a place that I doubt they will ever spend a lot so I doubt it's allocated much.... they don't even have boat launches to maintain unless they are helping out Nibletts Bluff or Salters Bluff
Old 02-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
I am just the opposite here (although I understand it) and I think the ease of access has ruined many a good hunting grounds. There are places we would have to ride ATVs for miles through some tough stuff that are now gravel roads for vehicles. You can literally drive (and I have seen it) a Camaro down a gravel road at Oua****a WMA, park it on the nice shoulder, and duck hunt 50 feet from your vehicle. Same with Boeuf WMA, same with Russell Sage WMA, same with Big Lake WMA, Tensas NWR, etc.

When I am hunting, I want to be as far away from anyone else as possible and will walk as far as I can to do that, but there are very few places where you can be one mile from an ATV trail. My favorite duck hole was in Tensas, it was a long boat ride and then a 3/4 mile walk from the river, now there is an ATV trail right to it.

I think this is one of the reasons duck hunting on some of the north La WMAs has gone way downhill - its way too easy to get around now and places that were once difficult to get you can now drive to them with a Prius
I think these are 2 separate issues... My situation is letting the current roads and trails get so bad that they are impassable thereby hindering areas that already have access... and your situation is the expansion of roads and trails that allow others access to areas that you once had to yourself.

It does suck for you that a spot you spent time developing by hard work and spending time is now available to others but You have just as much access as the guy in the Prius... I don't have the same access as the guy with the 4x4 ATV with the 3" lift kit.

And I do agree that some of these places have WAY too much access... it's hard to get away from a road or ATV trail on some WMA's
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Speaking of ATV's. Does the LDWF actually enforce the tire regulations? I know its hard to enforce, but has anyone been checked?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
Speaking of ATV's. Does the LDWF actually enforce the tire regulations? I know its hard to enforce, but has anyone been checked?
they checked my Prius but I was good

I have 'heard' of tire violations being enforced per tigerdroppings
Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
first couple yrs they did up at Tensas, Buck Horn and Big Lake. ... seen them issue tickets