SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Redfish

Cash: 778
Default cable tv

any thoughts on doing away with cable tv and stream tv shows.
thinking of getting rid of cox.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Flounder

Cash: 633

Cox prices are ridiculous and I dont really feel like going to a dish and haivng lost signal everytime theres a small amount of weather pass through...

I do have Roku, which is awesome. You can stream movies from different apps although theres usually a one day delay on the release of those series. About the only thing I cant watch on my Roku is live football..
Old 10-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I'm in the same boat.

At my house we watch youtube and sports. My wife watches a few programs like the Bachelor and a few other dumb women shows. If I could figure out how to watch the Saints and LSU I'd do it. She could watch her shows with a Ruku I think.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

I cut the cord a long time ago. I use Hulu plus, for abc nbc and fox network shows. Cbs.com streams their shows on their website. iTunes when I want to buy a cable channels series. Like discovery channel shows.

Connect your laptop to the tv with hdmi cable and use a wireless keyboard/mouse. Control it from the sofa!

Also put an hd antenna outside to catch network channels live for sports events. ESPN is the only thing I can't get.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

this shows what you can catch with just a regular antenna for free http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03b285a4d837

I recommend buying this antenna, it works great for me even way down in golden meadow and im no where near any close stations http://www.walmart.com/ip/Channel-Ma...tenna/42503546

I get 27 or 28 channels out of New Orleans and if I wanted to buy an antenna directional remote I could turn it to catch around 5 or 6 more baton rouge channels
Old 10-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Redfish

Default not to worried

about the sports channels.
but I do like me some history channels.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
I cut the cord a long time ago. I use Hulu plus, for abc nbc and fox network shows. Cbs.com streams their shows on their website. iTunes when I want to buy a cable channels series. Like discovery channel shows.

Connect your laptop to the tv with hdmi cable and use a wireless keyboard/mouse. Control it from the sofa!

Also put an hd antenna outside to catch network channels live for sports events. ESPN is the only thing I can't get.

do you ha to have a "smart tv" to do this?
I just have a 8 year old flat screen.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworker View Post
do you ha to have a "smart tv" to do this?
I just have a 8 year old flat screen.

No, you're TV and laptop just need an HDMI port. I also added a Chromecast device (HDMI also) and can stream to the TV from my Ipad. So any apps with content will play on the TV.

I use this keyboard.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:54 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
I'm in the same boat.
If I could figure out how to watch the Saints and LSU I'd do it.
Try OTA. An outdoor antenna will actually have a sharper picture than what you see on cable or satellite. OTA is a first generation picture-no compression. Cable and satellite uplinks the signal-then downlinks.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

My wife is watching a movie that is on netflix from this computer on our bedroom TV as I type this post. We have Roku devices, but Chromecast is amazing. Basically a wireless HDMI cable. You can even start a show on Chromecast on Netflix and then turn off the computer, the chromecast will finish the movie.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:02 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Someone could make some nice coin by becoming a "cut the cord installer" Come to your house, show you what you need, order it or sell it to you, get it set up, and make sure its working and show you how to use it. I'd pay for that service.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Flounder

Cash: 686

install kodi on a firestick and u wont need network or cable tv again
Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 974

I have cut the cable successfully. Here is my setup:
OTA - 65 Mile antenna from Lowes (Welcome back to the 70's) I use this to get the Saints games. Picks up FOX, WWL, WDSU, and about 25 more channels in clear HD 50 miles from New Orleans.

Roku - Mainly for SlingTV app. SlingTV gets AMC(Walking dead) LSU games on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, HGTV, DIY, FOOD, A&E, TNT, History, History2, and much more for $30 with no contract. (Sign up for three months and the Roku is free)

Appletv - Not necessary, but I jailbroke my Iphone, got moviebox app, and now I can stream all of the newest movies and TV shows from my phone to my TV. I used this to watch all of Game of Thrones, The Last man on Earth, and Narcos to be brief...
Old 11-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Redfish

Cash: 901
Angry Connection Speed

Check your internet speed first before ditching the cable. I live out in the country and can only get satellite. I would love to get rid of Direct TV and go this way but I cannot get internet fast enough for it to work. I am just waiting for technology to catch up to me! Now Direct TV was bought by AT&T! it's a dang racket! I can't even threaten Direct TV anymore and I can't get faster connection speed from AT&T!
Old 11-03-2015, 04:53 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

got rid of cable 3 years ago. i use the amazon fire box and netflix. watch sports on watchespn with parents login, use the digital antenna for sports as well