SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

evis posted this on 2cool. Call me a ****-stirrer?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post

evis posted this on 2cool. Call me a ****-stirrer?
After reading the posts, evidently the Texas catch and release mantra only applies if you are in TX.

Time to plan a big trip to Baffin
Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedatiger View Post
After reading the posts, evidently the Texas catch and release mantra only applies if you are in TX.

Time to plan a big trip to Baffin
I think we should get 5 or 6 of us...hire a guide for one day... Then rape those spots for a few days!!! Kill every thing over 5 String em up!!! Then post It on 2cool
Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

You do not see trout with birth defects because they get eaten very early in life, more than likely by there siblings. To say say fish do not directly inherit genes from there parents is(I'm at a loss for words here) were else are they going to get them? Does every fish in the sea look alike? Ofcourse not. Why, because of natural selection and evolution. Good traits are passed on, bad traits die out. From this new species develop.

W. Even in the worst habitat some trout will grow bigger than the rest and pass there traits on. The better the gene pool the more trophys there will be. The more trophys you release the more they will spawn the better your gene pool will be.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by evis102 View Post
You do not see trout with birth defects because they get eaten very early in life, more than likely by there siblings. To say say fish do not directly inherit genes from there parents is(I'm at a loss for words here) were else are they going to get them? Does every fish in the sea look alike? Ofcourse not. Why, because of natural selection and evolution. Good traits are passed on, bad traits die out. From this new species develop.

W. Even in the worst habitat some trout will grow bigger than the rest and pass there traits on. The better the gene pool the more trophys there will be. The more trophys you release the more they will spawn the better your gene pool will be.

i lost it when he said fish dont inherit genes, hahahahahahahaha

you proved your lack of knowledge about life in general
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Ok. Evis!!! If your mom has twins,,,, you and your bother will look the same!!! Genes!

When a trout has 200000 eggs will they all have the same spot pattern?

No!!!! I spoke with Jody that did the LSU study here on Big Lake! We discussed this numerous times! The early male trout gets the eggs! Not the most dominate, biggest,oldest, fasted,has the most teeth..... Just the 1st one to fertilize the eggs! So if a 12inch male fertilize 5000 10inch females eggs...you have 5000 chances for one of those eggs to become a trophy trout!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Swordfish

we arent talking about paternal genes (paternal means father w),

we are talking about maternal genes.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Swordfish

that means mother w
Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

I will say this....12" males don't usually run with 8lb sows it's usually 5lb males. 12"ers are quick to become meals!! jus sayn.......
Old 01-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Ok. Evis!!! If your mom has twins,,,, you and your bother will look the same!!! Genes!

When a trout has 200000 eggs will they all have the same spot pattern?

No!!!! I spoke with Jody that did the LSU study here on Big Lake! We discussed this numerous times! The early male trout gets the eggs! Not the most dominate, biggest,oldest, fasted,has the most teeth..... Just the 1st one to fertilize the eggs! So if a 12inch male fertilize 5000 10inch females eggs...you have 5000 chances for one of those eggs to become a trophy trout!
Not necessarily.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak'em-n-stack'em View Post
that means mother w
Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

So, if you keep a 12" trout, does that mean it didn't have the gene to grow to 8#? Or, do 5-8 lb fish start out at that size?

What I'm saying is, how do you know that the dinks that w loves to show off wouldn't have made it to 8#?...aside from being in the freezer!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
So, if you keep a 12" trout, does that mean it didn't have the gene to grow to 8#? Or, do 5-8 lb fish start out at that size?

What I'm saying is, how do you know that the dinks that w loves to show off wouldn't have made it to 8#?...aside from being in the freezer!
This should answer your question.....

Quote:
Trout fishing is like taking a C hit....

If you give up on it in 10 minutes ... you might not of known what the full result would of been if you sat 35mins longer
Old 01-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

Once you kill a fish its potential is at a end and ofcourse there is no way to know. Just sayin, big fat mama sow trout have the potential to pass on the genes that allowed them to become big fat mama trout to there offspring no matter the father. My dad is 5'5" 120lbs Im 6'1" 240lbs, it can happen.
I also do not think keeping small fish is a bad thing. I have talked to people that have been wade fishing Big Lake since the late 80's and they all agree that 2002-2003 were to best years for trophy trout(unfortunately I pretty much lived in the bottle from 1993-2004 so i do not have first hand knowledge) . The limit then was 25 yet there were more 8lb+ trout than at any other time. They also agree that there are more smaller trout now than then. Maybe the hurricanes had something to do with it or maybe it was the cold weather or maybe there is just some sort of cycle that we have yet to understand.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by evis102 View Post
Once you kill a fish its potential is at a end and ofcourse there is no way to know. Just sayin, big fat mama sow trout have the potential to pass on the genes that allowed them to become big fat mama trout to there offspring no matter the father. My dad is 5'5" 120lbs Im 6'1" 240lbs, it can happen.
I also do not think keeping small fish is a bad thing. I have talked to people that have been wade fishing Big Lake since the late 80's and they all agree that 2002-2003 were to best years for trophy trout(unfortunately I pretty much lived in the bottle from 1993-2004 so i do not have first hand knowledge) . The limit then was 25 yet there were more 8lb+ trout than at any other time. They also agree that there are more smaller trout now than then. Maybe the hurricanes had something to do with it or maybe it was the cold weather or maybe there is just some sort of cycle that we have yet to understand.
^ This.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
that reminds me...where has Pox been on all this!!

man im out of the races! i been off the market for a few months now ....
Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
I think we should get 5 or 6 of us...hire a guide for one day... Then rape those spots for a few days!!! Kill every thing over 5 String em up!!! Then post It on 2cool

let me know when! im down to rape fish stocks any time any where i dont care texas would make it that much sweeter
Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
let me know when! im down to rape fish stocks any time any where i dont care texas would make it that much sweeter
x2
Old 01-21-2011, 12:02 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

i think big fat monsters are not engineered through genes..all new borns have a shot at gettin big...wether or not they meet that monster status size i do believe depends on how long they live and how much food they consume....
Old 01-21-2011, 08:04 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,188

I fish with a fly rod because I like the challenge. I am not under any illusions that it makes me a better fisherman than anyone else. I release all my fish, ESPECIALLY the big ones in hopes that a child may experience the joys I have in my time fishing this planet. I think that does make me better than everyone else. I can't have kids and yet I release fish in hopes that some of your kids get to experience what this wonderful fishery has to offer. So, your welcome and most of you should hope there are more like me out there otherwise you will probably just have to tell your kids about the times you used to have.