SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,502
Default Buying a new climbing stand

I'm gonna soon buy a new climbing stand ... I've been shopping around and I'm pretty set on Summit and I'm either gonna go with the Viper or Goliath, one guy i talked to said dont go with the goliath cause its too big and another said absolutly go with the goliath because of comfort, so if yall have any experience with this i would greatly appreciate it, I plan to bowhunt and rifle hunt out of it

I've been looking at Cabela's, Bass Pro, and Summit's website and they are all about the same price wise ... Anyone know of other places to shop around for the best price?

BTW been reading readings reviews on both and they both have really good reviews
Old 07-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I have been hunting out the same Viper for close to 10 years now. I love it. Its all i hunt out of. I just move it around all season. Extremely durable. I will leave it up all season some years. As for weight, I hunt private land so I don't carry mine very far but it's pretty lightweight. Just move it around by ATV. I'm sure the Goliath is more comfortable but Viper is very comfortable as well.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 611

I love my viper and the sportsman guide had the best price.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:29 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,829

I have a Goliath and have a similar situation to Spectator as I don't pack it around a lot but as far as comfort, I can sit all day in mine, which is a first for me.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 642

I have a Goliath, and I love it. I'm 6'3 and about 240, so the extra space makes it very comfortable. I've owned mine for about 5 years now, the only things I've had to do is upgrade the seat (squirrels chewed up the old one) and buy a new set of cables. The stand itself is still in great shape, it's relatively light and simple to set up. No complaints about a summit here.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathauler View Post
I love my viper and the sportsman guide had the best price.
completely forgot about them ... I check em out for sure
Old 07-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Viper for sure. Make sure to get the aluminum frame.. Don't screw up like I did and get the steel.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Tripletail

from what i read the goliath is exactly like the viper, only 2" wider .. one guy said that 2" was too much, and another said that 2" makes a huge difference and that even though the viper is very comfortable the goliath is even better ... i just looked and there is only a 1 lb weight difference between the two

does the bar in front get in the way with a bow?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msucowpoke51 View Post
from what i read the goliath is exactly like the viper, only 2" wider .. one guy said that 2" was too much, and another said that 2" makes a huge difference and that even though the viper is very comfortable the goliath is even better ... i just looked and there is only a 1 lb weight difference between the two

does the bar in front get in the way with a bow?
Not on Viper. I'm sure Goliath either.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 642

As far as the bar goes, I do have to make an extra effort to situate the bottom platform so that it doesn't restrict where I can shoot with a bow. If setup right it's not a problem, I almost always pull back a practice draw to make sure the bow limbs will clear.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:18 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,829

I've never had issues with the Goliath.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Redfish

Cash: 977

I have hunted my father in laws Goliath and I loved it, very comfortable, not bad to hike with. Easy setup and easy climbing.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

I have a pretty much brand new viper I'm about to put up for sale. Only been up a few trees.

BROWN FIN
Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

any treestand less than 30lbs or so is gonna be easy enough to get in and out of the woods.

the trick to bowhunting out of these type of treestands is to set them pretty close together on the tree so that your legs are fairly bent, that way when you stand up your bow will easily clear the stand even if your shooting almost straight down.

Both the viper and the goliath are great, If your a skinny little fella go with the viper. If your like me and can attach wide load warning signs you will choose the goliath.

Either way a great stand.

one word of caution make sure you attach a rope from the top to the bottom part of the stand... you really dont want to be stuck up a tree one day when the bottom falls 15 feet and your sitting on the top.,. trust me on this one..
Old 07-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Redfish

Cash: 977

Lol yeah had that happen to one of the guys in our group. Lucky we had radios I had to climb up and bring him the lower platform. He now has para cord and carabiners attaching the top to the bottom
Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWN FIN View Post
I have a pretty much brand new viper I'm about to put up for sale. Only been up a few trees.

BROWN FIN
PM sent
Old 07-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
any treestand less than 30lbs or so is gonna be easy enough to get in and out of the woods.

the trick to bowhunting out of these type of treestands is to set them pretty close together on the tree so that your legs are fairly bent, that way when you stand up your bow will easily clear the stand even if your shooting almost straight down.

Both the viper and the goliath are great, If your a skinny little fella go with the viper. If your like me and can attach wide load warning signs you will choose the goliath.

Either way a great stand.

one word of caution make sure you attach a rope from the top to the bottom part of the stand... you really dont want to be stuck up a tree one day when the bottom falls 15 feet and your sitting on the top.,. trust me on this one..
yea I've heard horror stories about that!! lol

I'm 6'1" 230, so im by no means small, but I know several guys my size or even a little bigger that hunt out of a viper so i think ill be good either way, but just wanted to get the better for me since they are almost the same price
Old 07-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Like they said earlier, positioning with the top and bottom will make clearing the rail easy. Make sure to tie together.. Falling out that tree ruined me.
Go ahead and invest in a good safety system to.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

I hunted out of a Viper for several years, right up till the time I bought my Equalizer treestand. Once you hunt out of an Equalizer, you will either leave the Summit in the garage or sell it. You can adjust the level of the Equalizer as you climb the tree. You don't have to guess about the proper angle at the bottom of the tree and end up either too steep or too low once you get to your desired height. The Equalizer adjusts as you go up or you can just make one adjustment once you get to where you want to sit.

Also, the Equalizer is much more quiet than a Summit. The only time I would ever use my Summit after I bought the Equalizer was when I would take my step-son hunting with me. I simply hated using the Summit after purchasing the Equalizer.

The Equalizer is by far the best stand I have ever used and I have used all of them. You can find some good reviews on Archerytalk.com.

I believe the Equalizer is now sold by Buckshot treestands but I am not sure. I love them so much I am going to buy another just in case they ever stop making them.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
I hunted out of a Viper for several years, right up till the time I bought my Equalizer treestand. Once you hunt out of an Equalizer, you will either leave the Summit in the garage or sell it. You can adjust the level of the Equalizer as you climb the tree. You don't have to guess about the proper angle at the bottom of the tree and end up either too steep or too low once you get to your desired height. The Equalizer adjusts as you go up or you can just make one adjustment once you get to where you want to sit.

Also, the Equalizer is much more quiet than a Summit. The only time I would ever use my Summit after I bought the Equalizer was when I would take my step-son hunting with me. I simply hated using the Summit after purchasing the Equalizer.

The Equalizer is by far the best stand I have ever used and I have used all of them. You can find some good reviews on Archerytalk.com.

I believe the Equalizer is now sold by Buckshot treestands but I am not sure. I love them so much I am going to buy another just in case they ever stop making them.
Just checked that stand out... that looks very interesting. I always used to level my top portion if it was out of wack on the tree... but with this type of system seems like it would not be hard to level the top or bottom.

If i were still hunting a lot i would have to take a good look at this.