SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:08 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
the HIP information is a joke. the little girl at the counter probably has asked me these questions maybe every other year, if that. and im sure you got guys that go up to the counter and make up numbers to make them look "hardcore" since they are wearing all of there DU hats and shirts.

i will go out on a limb and say that these harvest numbers are bogus.
Yeah, cause Joe Blow that isn't a DU member wouldn't do this. Come on, man.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Yeah, cause Joe Blow that isn't a DU member wouldn't do this. Come on, man.
doesnt Joe Blow fall under this category?
Old 10-29-2015, 11:12 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
doesnt Joe Blow fall under this category?
Lmao, nah man, that's his cousin, Jim Blow.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

1. HIP is not where the harvest numbers come from

2. The questions from the HIP survey put people into categories of how many waterfowl they kill

3. Harvest numbers come from people that are selected from the above process and then send in wings from all the ducks they harvest that year. Biologists identify the ducks by the wings and then extrapolate harvest data based on that. There is a multiplier used (its the same year in and year out so there is less bias)

4. Aerial counts are not an exact count. They extrapolate numbers on the transects and there is a multiplier used (its the same year in and year out so there is less bias)

5. Reason why mulitpliers are used is because there is no way to know how many ducks/deer/squirrels/turkeys/rabbits are killed. You take a subset of hunters and extrapolate from there. Most people don't like telling the truth about how many things they kill and that is a reason our deer tagging system is a disaster

6. If anyone has a way of getting an exact count of fish/deer/turkeys/squirrel harvest, please please speak up

7. I like lamp
Old 10-29-2015, 11:30 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post

2. The questions from the HIP survey put people into categories of how many waterfowl they kill

3. Harvest numbers come from people that are selected from the above process and then send in wings from all the ducks they harvest that year. Biologists identify the ducks by the wings and then extrapolate harvest data based on that. There is a multiplier used (its the same year in and year out so there is less bias)

4. Aerial counts are not an exact count. They extrapolate numbers on the transects and there is a multiplier used (its the same year in and year out so there is less bias)

5. Reason why mulitpliers are used is because there is no way to know how many ducks/deer/squirrels/turkeys/rabbits are killed. You take a subset of hunters and extrapolate from there. Most people don't like telling the truth about how many things they kill and that is a reason our deer tagging system is a disaster

6. If anyone has a way of getting an exact count of fish/deer/turkeys/squirrel harvest, please please speak up

7. I like lamp
Look, Brick, there is no room for logic here. :*****:

lmao!

I should have been a little more clear with what I said before. Technically, you are right. The harvest estimates aren't directly related to the HIP numbers. But they still use those in the survey methodology to and the total harvest estimate is still based on the total hunters who complete a HIP. How else do you get to a 2.3 million duck harvest estimate, with a 30.6 ducks per hunter estimate, with only, what, 2000 hunters surveyed, if that?
Old 10-29-2015, 11:57 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:

7. I like lamp
Thanks for a real answer
Old 10-29-2015, 12:14 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
what kind of music do yall like?
Gangster rap and big band
Old 10-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter0421 View Post
Gangster rap and big band

Old Gangster rap? or the new crap?
Old 10-29-2015, 12:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Duck #'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
I call bull**** on this whole thing. How do they get these numbers? I've never once been asked how many of each species I kill yearly. How many birds winter in Louisiana total each year? No way in hell we kill 2.3 mill birds, if I'm reading that correctly. I'm goong to go out on a limb and say Canada kills more birds than us by a long shot.
I did say I don't have much faith in the harvest numbers but when I searched for harvest data, that's all I found.

Basically the only numbers I have any confidence in are the arial surveys conducted annually by Larry Reynolds. It would be interesting to see louisiana hunting lodge harvest data going back 10+ years but there's many variables that come into effect with those number; 4 major hurricanes being one of many.

Trying to compare out harvest to Canada is a waste of time.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:40 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
I did say I don't have much faith in the harvest numbers but when I searched for harvest data, that's all I found.

Basically the only numbers I have any confidence in are the arial surveys conducted annually by Larry Reynolds. It would be interesting to see louisiana hunting lodge harvest data going back 10+ years but there's many variables that come into effect with those number; 4 major hurricanes being one of many.

Trying to compare out harvest to Canada is a waste of time.
Trying to compare state-to-state harvest is a waste of time. Harvest only tells half the story and is linked to several other factors. What was the weather like that year? Was it a "normal" year temperature wise? Was it wet or dry? What food sources were available? How much money was made at DU banquets in that state?

lmao! Just kidding with the last one.

Seriously, I'm just happy to be able to hunt. That's a big reason why I support DU, because just like the National Wild Turkey Federation, Ducks Unlimited is going to fight for hunters, because without hunters, the organization is not going to exist. And with all the anti-hunting liberals running rampant these days, we need all the voices and power we can get.

The day they succeed in banning hunting is the day conservation organizations and conservation die.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
Old Gangster rap? or the new crap?
No such thing as new gangster rap! It died in a drive by at the turn of the century while sippin' on gin and juice.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter0421 View Post
No such thing as new gangster rap! It died in a drive by at the turn of the century while sippin' on gin and juice.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Very true...
Old 10-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

I think we should all be proud of the time and energy we have invested into this thread; we really accomplished a lot and broke down the barriers between the DU supporters and the Non-Beleivers.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Ling

I thought we were just posting random **** that didnt matter all day....
Old 10-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Look, Brick, there is no room for logic here. :*****:

lmao!

I should have been a little more clear with what I said before. Technically, you are right. The harvest estimates aren't directly related to the HIP numbers. But they still use those in the survey methodology to and the total harvest estimate is still based on the total hunters who complete a HIP. How else do you get to a 2.3 million duck harvest estimate, with a 30.6 ducks per hunter estimate, with only, what, 2000 hunters surveyed, if that?
That wasnt directed at you by the way but yes they do get the numbers from HIP participants.

I have never been asked to participate in the wing survey and only know of a couple people that have.

Aerial counts:
It would be very very expensive to fly every single body of water that holds ducks and to be able to get the best count, the surveys would have to be done simultaneously with multiple aircraft and thats just not feasible.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

DU and CCA are responsible for the death of my silver lab
Old 10-29-2015, 02:22 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
That wasnt directed at you by the way but yes they do get the numbers from HIP participants.

I have never been asked to participate in the wing survey and only know of a couple people that have.
Can't recall knowing anyone either. Would be pretty cool, although they probably wouldn't get a whole lot of diversity from me. lmao! Do more wood duck smackin than anything.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Flounder

Cash: 633

Quote:
Can't recall knowing anyone either. Would be pretty cool, although they probably wouldn't get a whole lot of diversity from me. lmao! Do more wood duck smackin than anything.
Thats all I need in my life is woodduck and whistling ducks... best eating out there.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Here's a pic from back when Arkansas was first shortstopping ducks in the 1940's

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446170496.887368.jpg
Old 10-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Look how late the season used to open, November 23rd. That's our problem, I've been saying it, the ducks don't get here til February.