SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Flooded House Drywall Demo Advice Needed

I'm headed to Baton Rouge tomorrow with Church Group to help demo flooded homes.

I know many of y'all have demoed homes after flooding and I'm looking for a few pointers.

What is the fastest and most efficient way to remove drywall from floor to ceiling?

I plan on bringing: cordless tool set, box cutters with extra blades, hammers, prybars, volt-meter, edger, shop broom, flat shovel, wheel barrow, and dolley.

PPE- Gloves, Mask, Clear Safety Glasses and Steel Toes.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

If the flooding is less than four feet. Take a razor four foot from the floor and cut a straight line in the rock. Start ripping from the bottom when you get close to the cut you made be careful not to mess it up over the line. Sheetrock comes in 4x8 sheets, so it will be easy to just replace it with a whole new sheet.

If the flooding is above 4 feet just rip the whole sheet out.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Take this man's advice. Easy. No need to cut the drywall.

http://999ktdy.com/man-shows-you-how...ck-wall-video/
Old 08-26-2016, 02:29 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 569

I work for a Servpro while I'm in college and I have been in ALOT of houses the past couple week and have tore out ALOT of sheet rock. I use a saws all and if the water was below 2 ft then we mark the walls at 2 ft and cut it there. 2-4ft we cut at 4 ft and anything above that we take the whole wall. Cutting at 4ft is the easiest because you don't have to do a lot of bending over and and most sheets are 4 ft tall so they are easier to cut there. Cut the wall and use your saw or hammer to make you some little holes in the sheet rock and you can pull it out in big sheets with your hands and save a lot of clean up. When you pull out one side you can push the other side out from the now exposed back side..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 526

think about this...cut the rock 32 inches!!! REASON CHEAPEST ROUTE AND LESS MESS..the deal is if you put a waynecoat now you eliminate all the sanding and floating and all the rock dust..at 32inches you can get 3 pieces off a 8ft sheet of wood that will cover 12 feet of wall...
Old 08-26-2016, 03:48 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

Stripped 4 homes last week. One all the way to the ceiling the others 4 foot up. I used one of these and cut the corner where the wall meets ceiling then rip the whole wall out. The ones we took four feet out we pulled a chalk line and used the cutter to cut on line. Much faster than a razor knife and a lot straighter.

Bring plenty of wheel barrels and put sheet rock directly into wheel barrels. Takes to long to come back with shovels and scoop the mess up.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Har...s/N-5yc1vZc2b2
Old 08-26-2016, 06:50 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post

I think this guy's method would work. I spent my second day with Samaritan's Purse today and we gutted a home that had 18" of water. The owners had already cut and pulled three feet of sheetrock before we got there, but the guy in charge of our group decided to take it up to 4 ft. to save the owners some $$ when they hire a contractor because the rock guys wouldn't have to cut the sheets into 3 ft. widths, they could just use the standard 4 ft. widths on edge. I agreed with that, but we still cut and found that the tape line was at 48.75" from floor. I wondered if we could have just pulled the tape, but I was hesitant cuz I was afraid the tape might "run" and ruin the rest of the wall so we still cut which was a PITA. I'm going back Monday and I will try this guy's method on one wall to see how it works out.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:01 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

I have been working by myself demoing my house . i bought a dremel saw max and use it to cut the rock at the 4 foot mark . We have an older house that has gypsum board in it. That crap breaks into so many small pieces Its a pita
Old 08-27-2016, 07:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Thanks for the advice. Just got back from Denham Springs; words can't express what happen over there. I feel for yall, you will be in my prayers.

After hearing the homeowners rescue story, I thank the good lord every other person in South Louisiana has a boat. IMO if this magnitude of flooding occurred somewhere else I think the casualties would have been horrific.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:01 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

I was on a boat rescuing people , I have never seen anything like this before . The amount of water and how fast it was moving was unreal .
Old 08-28-2016, 01:35 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103
Bounce

Sweet Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post

Old 08-29-2016, 08:27 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
If the flooding is less than four feet. Take a razor four foot from the floor and cut a straight line in the rock. Start ripping from the bottom when you get close to the cut you made be careful not to mess it up over the line. Sheetrock comes in 4x8 sheets, so it will be easy to just replace it with a whole new sheet.

If the flooding is above 4 feet just rip the whole sheet out.

I would be careful of this. It isnt just the water level that you have to worry about, it is the moisture level. I have seen houses that had 8" - 10" of water in them for 2 days. Moisture levels exceeded the maximum level for mold to grow above 3'.... and that is just with 8" of water! If you had 3' of standing water in your house, rip all the sheetrock out. The exterior insulation soaks up water like a sponge and so do the wooden studs which brings your moisture level higher than 3'. Do it right otherwise expect mold to grow between the walls.

Glad that you are helping people out! We need more people like you.