SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:05 PM
Flounder

Cash: 455
Default Ducks Unlimited

Ive always wondered exactly why does Duck Unlimited get so much hate in the state of Louisiana. Like I know the general cliche reason people always say because "DU hates the south'' and "DU spends all there money North and does nothing for the coast." But every time I hear someone say that I always question like "what do they not do for the South" and no one can every seem to tell me facts or any real reason why they are so against the organization. And then they have some people that even go to the extreme of believing that DU is the reason La duck hunting is continually diminishing. Besides the fact that DU has spend $118 million worth of conservation work in the state of La, twice of what they've spent in Arkansas, what is the real reason everyone hates DU so much?
Old 08-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Rumors. People are sheep and want to blame somebody.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

People blame DU for doing projects in the Midwest that encourage the ducks to stay up there and not continue on Southward. People also resent the fact that DU collects dues from the average joes all over the country and uses those dues to create private playgrounds of duck hunting paradise for the DU executives to enjoy that average joe will never be able to step a foot on.

I am not saying I agree with this thinking, just giving you a couple of reasons

I have heard several times over the years.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 468

It's all ignorance and the need to blame an easy target. Annually, Ducks Unlimited raises around $4M in Louisiana yet spends ~$12M in restoration projects in Louisiana.

The biggest catalyst in flight pattern changes has been no-till farming. This practice started to rapidly expand in the 70's and was adapted by the majority of large farms up north by the mid 90's. With all that grain left sitting on the ground, versus being plowed under, birds just aren't going to come south and will definitely shift their patterns.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrepont42 View Post
Ive always wondered exactly why does Duck Unlimited get so much hate in the state of Louisiana. Like I know the general cliche reason people always say because "DU hates the south'' and "DU spends all there money North and does nothing for the coast." But every time I hear someone say that I always question like "what do they not do for the South" and no one can every seem to tell me facts or any real reason why they are so against the organization. And then they have some people that even go to the extreme of believing that DU is the reason La duck hunting is continually diminishing. Besides the fact that DU has spend $118 million worth of conservation work in the state of La, twice of what they've spent in Arkansas, what is the real reason everyone hates DU so much?
I wont answer any questions here, you should post this question to my other angry coonass podnahs on this page that way if you disagree we can ban you
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1879792472061891/about/
Old 08-24-2018, 03:36 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
I wont answer any questions here, you should post this question to my other angry coonass podnahs on this page that way if you disagree we can ban you
I don?t see too much logic in joining a page to get banned, just doesn?t make relative sense to me lol. I?m not saying I necessarily agree with DU or Delta Waterfowl or have the slightest clue as to why we are seeing less birds. I do know that things such as coastal erosion, increased in plowed fields without stubble, and decreased food forage available don?t seem to be helping in providing a wintering habitat for migratory birds in the state. Are you implying that DU is the primary reason? And would we be better off supporting an organization like Delta? Or don?t support neither and just let it be what it is.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:41 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Babaz View Post
People blame DU for doing projects in the Midwest that encourage the ducks to stay up there and not continue on Southward. People also resent the fact that DU collects dues from the average joes all over the country and uses those dues to create private playgrounds of duck hunting paradise for the DU executives to enjoy that average joe will never be able to step a foot on.

I am not saying I agree with this thinking, just giving you a couple of reasons

I have heard several times over the years.

I have heard of DU executives creating private playground for their high standing officials to enjoy. Which would not surprise me one bit with the amount of corruption in politics these days lol.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:32 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

when the ducks don't show up anymore, they gonna blame somebody. easiest one to blame is the one who is tryin to get every dime u will give them and then u see less ducks than before.
deer hunting is a lot more crowded now because the hipsters are headed that direction. maybe they need a deers unlimited?

me, I just go hunt up north a time or 2 every year and go hunt them heated DU ponds where all the ducks shortstop. a lot easier than hunting in south la.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:05 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:

That guy Josh hates me lol
Old 08-25-2018, 10:14 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

First of all, that idiotic Facebook group is the epitomy of everything that is wrong with LA duck hunting. It is nothing but a group of simpletons trying to blame everything on someone else. They are on a fool's mission.

As to the DU question: I've yet to hear a legitimate reason that wasn't based on some idiotic story about ice-eaters or nets. Getting pissy about DU spending money on private land is ridiculous. If they didn't spend money on private land, we would barely have the duck habitat that we do now. I've even heard people blame them for the change in farming practices. For crying out loud, DU didn't push that. Besides, it's so short-sighted to ***** about the effect of no-till farming on ducks when it is infinitely better for the environment.

DU can be a real pain sometimes (trust me), but they are one of the best conservation organizations out there in terms of on-the-ground work. They are partly responsible for keeping what rice acreage we have left in rice with the work they do with farmers.

You want to see less ducks? Have all of the remaining rice ground converted to sugarcane or row crops. You won't see very many ducks then.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 858

I have done a fair bit of hunting in the Kansas area and the ducks up there are unbelievable. DU isn't a part of any of that, the farmers are. Not to mention the feilds are full of food due to the crops. Our people in Louisiana manage their land poorly and don't communicate very well, I blame ego. To see the community base up north is humbling. However, I personally know an engineer that worked for DU. He lasted about 5 years and quit. I was told the reason was politics and DU not representing what they said they were. It is a double edged sword, but I can tell you one thing....... I killed more ducks in the early 90's than I have in the past 10 years locally. After they came around our area it dried up. Could gave been DU, the laws in other states, new land projects, or nature. We will never know.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
That guy Josh hates me lol
we refer to him as Mr Josh or simply Savior

we need to direct our hate to the main problem DU and Delta and the baiting up north

they have shortstopped the migration and even somehow gotten bluewing teal to winter here and have also colluded with DU Mexico to get whistling ducks to come north to the US

they thought us coonasses qouodnt notice but they are wrong

we kill very few ducks down here anymore and its time to revolt
Old 08-26-2018, 12:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
I don?t see too much logic in joining a page to get banned, just doesn?t make relative sense to me lol. I?m not saying I necessarily agree with DU or Delta Waterfowl or have the slightest clue as to why we are seeing less birds. I do know that things such as coastal erosion, increased in plowed fields without stubble, and decreased food forage available don?t seem to be helping in providing a wintering habitat for migratory birds in the state. Are you implying that DU is the primary reason? And would we be better off supporting an organization like Delta? Or don?t support neither and just let it be what it is.
there is right and there is wrong we dont tolerate people being wrong just wasted time that we could be using to educate the masses

We used to all kill ducks back in the day now we dont kill hardy any

NOTHING has changed in that time span that would be reason we are not killing ducks other than people flooding corn north of us NOTHING
Old 08-26-2018, 01:12 PM
King Mackeral

I'll tell you one thing, Point, your title is wrong.

You're not a "Trophy Trout". You're a "Master Baiter".

I'm just not going to take that bait...lol
Old 08-26-2018, 01:16 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
First of all, that idiotic Facebook group is the epitomy of everything that is wrong with LA duck hunting. It is nothing but a group of simpletons trying to blame everything on someone else. They are on a fool's mission.

As to the DU question: I've yet to hear a legitimate reason that wasn't based on some idiotic story about ice-eaters or nets. Getting pissy about DU spending money on private land is ridiculous. If they didn't spend money on private land, we would barely have the duck habitat that we do now. I've even heard people blame them for the change in farming practices. For crying out loud, DU didn't push that. Besides, it's so short-sighted to ***** about the effect of no-till farming on ducks when it is infinitely better for the environment.

DU can be a real pain sometimes (trust me), but they are one of the best conservation organizations out there in terms of on-the-ground work. They are partly responsible for keeping what rice acreage we have left in rice with the work they do with farmers.

You want to see less ducks? Have all of the remaining rice ground converted to sugarcane or row crops. You won't see very many ducks then.
That?s the exact same way I feel man. I always hear people saying DU is garbage for southern duck hunters and they do this whole list of bizarre things;however, I have never been able to read something from an legit biologist proofing anything.
Then people argue that it?s unethical that DU has private owned leases just for their biologist, the heelies that support them, memebers they invite etc. I feel like if you bust your *** and devote your life to preserving waterfowl, you should maybe be able to buy private leases. I bet Michael Jordan has his own basketball court and I bet he doesn?t just let anyone play on it.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:23 PM
Flounder

Quote:
there is right and there is wrong we dont tolerate people being wrong just wasted time that we could be using to educate the masses

We used to all kill ducks back in the day now we dont kill hardy any

NOTHING has changed in that time span that would be reason we are not killing ducks other than people flooding corn north of us NOTHING
You could very possible be 100 percent right. However I personally feel like a few things have changed and one that may be the biggest is thr economic impact of crawfish harvesting. I personally know a few farmers that don?t even plant rice anymore all they do is crawfish and they have propane guns on every single levee. We?ve lost enormous amounts of costal marsh a football field of marsh is lost every hour due to salt water intrusion.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
You could very possible be 100 percent right. However I personally feel like a few things have changed and one that may be the biggest is thr economic impact of crawfish harvesting. I personally know a few farmers that don?t even plant rice anymore all they do is crawfish and they have propane guns on every single levee. We?ve lost enormous amounts of costal marsh a football field of marsh is lost every hour due to salt water intrusion.
the football field an hour is fake news made up by Dems as a scare tactic my old marshes look exactly the same except for that salvinia on top of it

ducks eat crawfish too

I do think we really need to look into harvesting more gators though because I saw one eat a duck this year
Old 08-26-2018, 02:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

Quote:
That?s the exact same way I feel man. I always hear people saying DU is garbage for southern duck hunters and they do this whole list of bizarre things;however, I have never been able to read something from an legit biologist proofing anything.
Then people argue that it?s unethical that DU has private owned leases just for their biologist, the heelies that support them, memebers they invite etc. I feel like if you bust your *** and devote your life to preserving waterfowl, you should maybe be able to buy private leases. I bet Michael Jordan has his own basketball court and I bet he doesn?t just let anyone play on it.

Michael Jordan used his own money to buy whatever he has... He didn't charge his fans "dues" to get the cash . Whatever the reason for the bad duck hunting the sad fact is that we will tell our great grandchildren about the hordes of Louisiana ducks from back in the 90's and it will be hard for them to even comprehend. Just like how we read in history books that panthers, buffalo and elk once roamed wild all over Louisiana a few hundred years ago.

If things keep going the way they are, in 50 years we'll have about as many duck hunters in Louisiana as there are in downtown Manhattan. That breaks my heart but its the truth.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:42 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
the football field an hour is fake news made up by Dems as a scare tactic
Lmao! Boy, that's a doozie right there. We went from why do people hate DU to marsh loss is fake news in one page. That has to be a record or something.