SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 03-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Big storm day

We canceled an offshore trip at the dock as everybody else did. The gulf was full of Nasty weather. Lightning count was over 800. Some of the gusts were around 40 mph. Even the inshore guys canceled. One Eye had 4 guys that wanted to fish. They were not interested in drinking all day or going to the city. Around 11:00 the lightning let up and I told them I would take them inshore.

I launched at noon. 2 guys also left late and went down river. They had good luck there the day before. I was going to run there also. As I turned into tiger pass my plan B had to be implemented. The river was full of fog. Even with my radar I will not run it with all the junk in it at this time. Fog, Debris, and Boat traffic (combined) is something to avoid if at all possible.

Our first area yielded nothing. The high river had that place messed up. Before I decided to go to another place the fog engulfed us big time. In order for me to get to the pass I wanted to go into I had to run through open water that contained buoys, dredging anchors, and old pilings. The radar picked up everything amazingly well. I felt safe. The customers had no clue. Love my electronics!!!!

I went to a totally different place about 12 miles away. By this time the fog and rain had everything drenched. The water was cleaner but the bite was not happening. I could see the fish moving the rozos as they swam through them feeding. My customers were not getting the fishes attention. We first picked up a pair of hardhead catfish.

I remained there for about a half hour before the water started to boil. We had our first redfish on and it went about 5 feet back into the rozos. I had my doubts about landing this one. It had a chance of going another 10 feet deeper in. I told him not to fight the fish just keep steady pressure on the fish. This makes the fish go to the place with the least resistance thus following the line back through where it went in. This plan worked and we soon had the fish in open water. It still took some time before the net engulfed the fish. It was his first redfish and the hardest fighting 5-6 pound fish he ever caught.

We moved around and had a slow bite but a few rats made for some action. This guy had some beautiful spots. Notice the black drum on the deck. It was a keeper. One of the guys thinks he has a catfish but as I see the fish I grab the line and swim it into the boat in one smooth move. No time to get the net. It landed in the boat unhooked already.

I was working a shallow cut fishing both sides at the same time. It was working well until the trolling motor got stuck in the mud. I got out of there with not too much difficulty. As I entered the open bay I saw some water movement. I set up the boat so they all could fish the side of the boat along the rozos with the moving water and we also had some bait there.

This was the ticket. Everybody caught some more fish.

We had off and on rain all afternoon. There was lightning mostly to the north and west occasionally throughout the afternoon. I fished as long as I could but the storms were about to hit us hard again. With the winds building we pulled up and ran in. They will always remember the 42 mph run through the wagon wheel in a driving rain. We hit the dock about 6:00. I went to my truck and got out of my wet cloths. Did not get a picture of the total catch. Rain gear leaked.

Front moved north of us as I was heading home. That is the front. We do not have mountains or hills here.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 03-27-2015, 08:15 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

You made them smile...that's a success. Good report.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Anybody who thinks guiding isn't hard work has never been in that position. Good job.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

excellent Job Captain...and thanks for the hard work.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 662

Thanks for sharing - great report and pics!