SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 964

Something doesn't sound right. With a brand new boat you shouldn't need to add wedges to be able to cruise. Granted if you trim out to much you will induce a bounce on most boats but you shouldn't be porpoising at all with it all the way trimmed in.

I would post this question on thehulltruth forum. lots of very knowledgable guys there too.

I for sure would be all over the dealership on the boat not performing correctly though. Possibly testing another one of their boats to see if it does the same thing in another hull. Or get the dealer on the water and have them drive it, with you on it, and have them "show" you how your wrong and they are right.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Flounder

Cash: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicegoose View Post
Something doesn't sound right. With a brand new boat you shouldn't need to add wedges to be able to cruise. Granted if you trim out to much you will induce a bounce on most boats but you shouldn't be porpoising at all with it all the way trimmed in.

I would post this question on thehulltruth forum. lots of very knowledgable guys there too.

I for sure would be all over the dealership on the boat not performing correctly though. Possibly testing another one of their boats to see if it does the same thing in another hull. Or get the dealer on the water and have them drive it, with you on it, and have them "show" you how your wrong and they are right.
I totally agree it's at the dealer now gonna see what they have to say... I'll post the solution when we find it lol
Old 03-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Trophy Trout

Glad to hear. Personally I would not accept them adding trim tabs or jackplate or wedges to a boat to fix an obvious problem if one exists. Again a ride in another seafox from the dealer would help out a lot too.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Redfish

Cash: 626

Maybe your motor shaft is too short?!?!
Old 03-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampboy View Post
We have a 22ft seafox with a f250 Yama..having trouble with porpoising ..at 35 mph... We do have trim tabs ,but to my understanding it's an accessory to a boat to use for leveling an to keep your bow down on rough water.... I've heard an read that Yamaha changed their negative trim to 3 degrees..So We thinking of adding wedges to increase the negative trim... any advice would be greatly appreciated or any of you have the same boat or the same issue..

Thanks for y'all's time!!
My buddy has the 24 Sea Fox Viper and had similar problems. Every issue went away when he went to a 4 blade prop.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Stern lifting prop might help a bit, either way I'd let the dealer figure it out and settle it if possible...It should be set up right from the get go with no issues.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Trophy Trout

Yup i highly recommend a turbo ofs1 it did wonders for me
Old 03-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Flounder

Cash: 641

your cavitation plate should be even with or just above the pad on your hull, water pressure should be above 15psi
Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Flounder

Cash: 641

hook in the hull will give you bow down force, ( it will not allow bow lift as much ) it creates a suction on the pad ( with hook )
Old 03-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Flounder

K guys we got the boat back but we wasn't able to try it out due to weather,but we made them put the wedges which gave us plenty of negative trim actually about 4 more inches...I believe it should solve our problem... They checked out the cavitation plate an it all checked out good!
Old 03-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

so what was it? did they have the trim stops set wrong?

there should have been no reason to install the wedges just to get more trim range out of it.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Trophy Trout

If your happy that is all that matters. Like everyone has stated a brand new boat should not require wedges for it to be able to ride properly. I'd be on that dealer like a fat kid on a cupcake. But again if your happy that is all that matters.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:24 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicegoose View Post
If your happy that is all that matters. Like everyone has stated a brand new boat should not require wedges for it to be able to ride properly. I'd be on that dealer like a fat kid on a cupcake. But again if your happy that is all that matters.
x2
Old 03-12-2015, 07:34 AM
Redfish

Cash: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
When you take off from a stop does your bow raise up pretty high then take 10-15 seconds to level off? If this is the case your motor could be too low

Meaux is right. Motor too low can cause this issue. Have someone drive while your on plan and look how the motor is riding in the water. Is the cavitation plate completely submerged? If so your motor is too low. Measuring cavitation plate height relative to keel is just a rule of thumb. You need to see how the motor is riding when on plane.

http://www.propgods.com/forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=98

Also your prop could be adding to the problem. Some types of props are "bow lifting". This could be the problem or add to the problem.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7722 View Post
Meaux is right. Motor too low can cause this issue. Have someone drive while your on plan and look how the motor is riding in the water. Is the cavitation plate completely submerged? If so your motor is too low. Measuring cavitation plate height relative to keel is just a rule of thumb. You need to see how the motor is riding when on plane.

http://www.propgods.com/forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=98

Also your prop could be adding to the problem. Some types of props are "bow lifting". This could be the problem or add to the problem.

Yup my 21' nautic star was having some issues with porpoising. I had installed a mercury rev4 prop not knowing it was more of a bow lifter. Switched over to the turbo and it acts like a different boat.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Flounder

Cash: 485

In 1994 I bought a Challenger 19 ft CC in Houston. Had a Mercury 135 HP. It had the porpoising issue too. Brought it back to dealer and they installed fins on the cavitation plate and it corrected the problem. These boats were made in Tennessee and are no longer in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Flounder

we had 0 negative trim on our boat... We tried different props... We gonna test it out this weekend I will let yall know