SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtfish View Post
Have been considering an after market choke (full) for my extrema 2... Any suggestions?
Anything PatternMaster makes will work well.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,783

I'm shooting a 10 this year and its not worth the guys who are teaching me how to kill geese don't take passing shots so I don't either. If you kill geese how you are supposed a 12 is all you need. If you find 10 gauge shells compare that shot to a box of 12 and you will be surprised at how close they match
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by saodma View Post
What everyone forgets it is it is about pattern density. A .410, 28ga, 16ga, 12ga and 10ga all have the same pellet energy with the same size shot moving at the same speed. A 20ga shooting #4s at 1300 fps has the same down range energy per pellet as a 10ga shooting #4s at 1300 fps. The issue comes in with shot string and density. Pattern boards do not tell the whole story. Lets look at the 20ga and 12 ga. Say both are shooting #4s 1 oz of shot and modified chokes. The 20 ga will have a longer shot string. That equates to a better chance of crippling a crossing shot. The 12 ga has a much shorter shot string and will impart more energy on a crossing shot. This is simple physics. Now apply this to the 10 ga that hold 2 plus oz of shot and pattern density goes way up and it will have one of the shorter shot strings. This is why it appears to hit harder. With density you have a better chance of getting a pellet into a vital area. Lastly speed is something that needs to be looked at. The faster the pellet is traveling the more energy it will have. 10 ga shot shells tend to be on the slow side due to the lower chamber pressure that the guns are rated for.
Now all this is for nothing if you cannot hit what you are shooting at or if you do not like shooting that load or gun. So shoot what you like and have fun. For geese I prefer a fast moving load in 12 ga BB. I like Remington Hypersonic 3.5” 12g BB 1 3/8 oz loads over a slower 10 ga load. Now I did kills limit of specks with 2 ¾ in #6 Kents this year. Was shooting teal early in the morning had some geese slip in on us and the #6s did just fine. 6 geese in and 6 geese down. I also love shooting my SP10. Just my 2 cents.

You should post more
Old 01-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by saodma View Post
What everyone forgets it is it is about pattern density. A .410, 28ga, 16ga, 12ga and 10ga all have the same pellet energy with the same size shot moving at the same speed. A 20ga shooting #4s at 1300 fps has the same down range energy per pellet as a 10ga shooting #4s at 1300 fps. The issue comes in with shot string and density. Pattern boards do not tell the whole story. Lets look at the 20ga and 12 ga. Say both are shooting #4s 1 oz of shot and modified chokes. The 20 ga will have a longer shot string. That equates to a better chance of crippling a crossing shot. The 12 ga has a much shorter shot string and will impart more energy on a crossing shot. This is simple physics. Now apply this to the 10 ga that hold 2 plus oz of shot and pattern density goes way up and it will have one of the shorter shot strings. This is why it appears to hit harder. With density you have a better chance of getting a pellet into a vital area. Lastly speed is something that needs to be looked at. The faster the pellet is traveling the more energy it will have. 10 ga shot shells tend to be on the slow side due to the lower chamber pressure that the guns are rated for.
Now all this is for nothing if you cannot hit what you are shooting at or if you do not like shooting that load or gun. So shoot what you like and have fun. For geese I prefer a fast moving load in 12 ga BB. I like Remington Hypersonic 3.5” 12g BB 1 3/8 oz loads over a slower 10 ga load. Now I did kills limit of specks with 2 ¾ in #6 Kents this year. Was shooting teal early in the morning had some geese slip in on us and the #6s did just fine. 6 geese in and 6 geese down. I also love shooting my SP10. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
You should post more

Yes, he should.

I shoot 1 3/8's oz #2 in a 10 gauge, never saw big ducks or geese fall deader. And anybody worried about recoil, shoot a box of 3.5's out of a 6-7# 12 gauge, then shoot a box of 10 gauge out of a gun that weighs a little over 9 #'s. A 10 gauge is made for big, heavy loads.

I only shoot my 10 when I am duck and goose hunting, if it is just a duck hunt I love to shoot my extrema 2 with 2 3/4" Experts, those 1550 FPS #2.

Yes, I could of saved some money and bought a 3 ".
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Anything PatternMaster makes will work well.
Second that..
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 974

12 gauge + 2 shot + Code Black Duck Patternmaster = Dead Goose!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
You should post more
I had to go take a double look at his name.... makes me wonder if MathGeek has a burn handle.....
Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

It's a bit of a hassle but one of my hunting buds used to bring two guns into the blind. A goose gun and a duck gun. No fumbling to change shells when geese are approaching. I agree with saodma on pellet speed and energy. It depends on where the pellets impact the bird but if the pattern density is such that you hit a duck or goose with 5 pellets instead of 2, it makes a big difference. Also do the math on lead requirements and you'll see that you need to lead a goose a couple of feet more on long passing shots with slow pellet speed loads. That is not even considering the difference in the energy of a BB pellet versus a #2 pellet but that's a whole different discussion. Let them get close and it doesn't matter so much.