SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 587

I hunt out of a climbing stand. I started off last year hunting out of a lock on with the muddy climbing sticks. I have to say that the muddy climbing sticks work great. However, I eventually starting using my climber and I like that better for most situations because I can get higher with it....when the tree allows. One bad that about climbers is that when you hunt a swampy area with trees that have buttressing (widder at the base). It makes it difficult to climb because your stand will be pinting downward by the time you get higher in the tree to a hunting height. To help this problem I started carrying one of my muddy climbing sticks with my climber and I can put the muddy stick on the tree at the base which gives me an extra 4-5 ft up before I put my climber on the tree.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:41 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,825

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20fowlkiller View Post
I have hunted out of all but ground blinds, as far as brands I like the old style ol mans but thats just me, millenium lock ons are very comfortable but pricey, practice shooting while sitting down to the front and both sides it will help in the long run. The thing that helps bow hunters become succesful is pre season prep, get in the woods and find a solid comfortable tree to climb, if you have private property acces this is easier to go ahead and put a lock on on and leave it but if your going to be climbing go ahead and climb it up to 25-30ft cutting any obstruction on the tree off get used to being that high up, most gun hunters never go over 20ft so 10+ft will be a new feeling. go ahead and find a way to attach and keep secured a rope to haul bows off the ground once your secure, get a pack started with extras (release, extra string to pull up bows, cover scents, plenty of water for those warm hunts) just my .02 on this im no professional but passing on from my experiences,
Thanks....I will start scouting some trees.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:43 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tete Dur View Post
I hunt out of a climbing stand. I started off last year hunting out of a lock on with the muddy climbing sticks. I have to say that the muddy climbing sticks work great. However, I eventually starting using my climber and I like that better for most situations because I can get higher with it....when the tree allows. One bad that about climbers is that when you hunt a swampy area with trees that have buttressing (widder at the base). It makes it difficult to climb because your stand will be pinting downward by the time you get higher in the tree to a hunting height. To help this problem I started carrying one of my muddy climbing sticks with my climber and I can put the muddy stick on the tree at the base which gives me an extra 4-5 ft up before I put my climber on the tree.
I think a climber is what I'm after. I have used them before and feel safer in a climbing vs a lockon.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Climber is best bet. I have lock ons ill hunt in set areas i been hunting for years. But ill usually be bouncing around in my climber. Summit Viper best climber for the money. Can sit in it all day long. Been hunting out the same one fOr abOut 5-6 years.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Climber is best bet. I have lock ons ill hunt in set areas i been hunting for years. But ill usually be bouncing around in my climber. Summit Viper best climber for the money. Can sit in it all day long. Been hunting out the same one fOr abOut 5-6 years.
That is what I went with for my first climber. I received a lot of feedback and it always pointed towards the Summit Viper. Look around and you can find one used in the $100-$150 range.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,242

I have been using lone wolf climbing stands for the last 10 years. I've tried others but you can't beat a lone wolf for ease of setting up, climbing, packing & weight. They are a bit pricey but well worth the money.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,315

http://www.summitstands.com/climbing...mit-goliath-ss

You won't be sorry.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:47 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
I looked at the Viper, Titan and this one. I'm getting a big one so my fat azz will be comfortable.....

I don't like heights but the 5 or so times I hunted out of a climber the heights didn't bother me and I was able to jack up 20 ft.....but I never used a safety belt....I'm changing that.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Have had mine about 5 or so years. Love it. I ain't no small guy.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Aquaholic View Post
I have been using lone wolf climbing stands for the last 10 years. I've tried others but you can't beat a lone wolf for ease of setting up, climbing, packing & weight. They are a bit pricey but well worth the money.
This guy knows alot about bow hunting. Don't know if he still is but use to be manager of archery dept of Lafayette Shooters. Just realizing it's you Andrew through your pics. Im Seth Dupuis. Worked at Shooters in college around 2002. HB and I worked there we been hunting together since we were kids. So I'm sure u have tried out all the climbers.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
This guy knows alot about bow hunting. Don't know if he still is but use to be manager of archery dept of Lafayette Shooters. Just realizing it's you Andrew through your pics. Im Seth Dupuis. Worked at Shooters in college around 2002. HB and I worked there we been hunting together since we were kids. So I'm sure u have tried out all the climbers.
What's up Seth. Long time no see.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

what is a good lock on for hunting in the marsh.. smaller tallow trees and such? usually just use 15' ladders that sway like a mofo in the wind but the higher the better! any good advice for hunting the marsh would be great.. thanks in advance
Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

I use a ladder in the marsh on those tiny tallow trees. Use climbers on all other places. Another shout out for the muddy harness! Love mine, nice and cool in september. The HSS is hot as heck. And on distance, I have only shot 4 deer with my bow so far and the furthest one was 20 yards. Two of them were straight down under me.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
what is a good lock on for hunting in the marsh.. smaller tallow trees and such? usually just use 15' ladders that sway like a mofo in the wind but the higher the better! any good advice for hunting the marsh would be great.. thanks in advance
Go to bayoubucks.com and ask. Nothing bit hardcore hunters over there. Especially bow.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Shack BBQ View Post
Go to bayoubucks.com and ask. Nothing bit hardcore hunters over there. Especially bow.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
x2
Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 AM
The Camp Cook....

I have been to bayou bucks and it is a wealth of knowledge for bow hunters.

I was just trying to spark a conversation here.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Flounder

Cash: 672

I've shot at two deer with my bow. 1st kill was a 3pnt at 38 yds, then last year I missed a spike at 8 yds. That's right 8!!! Yds!!! Still ticked off at myself.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,045

88 days and a wakeup and I'll be sitting in a tree in Cuero, TX. I been slingin' arrows
since about 1986 and killed my first buck last year (spike). I've killed quite a few does because I got a habit of shooting the first thing that comes in range and I doubt that I'll ever change. As far as I'm concerned, any bowkill is a trophy. Good luck this year Bluechip and remember to follow through on your shot!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 AM
The Camp Cook....

Thanks SS.....I'm going to try and get with someone to watch me shoot and see where I can improve.

I'm an amateur but love slinging arrows.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
Thanks SS.....I'm going to try and get with someone to watch me shoot and see where I can improve.

I'm an amateur but love slinging arrows.
Told ya to holla. Or come see my set up for rods and bring your bow