SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-27-2015, 07:43 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043
Default Speck call help

Looking to buy a speck call for $100 or less. I'd say I'm maybe one step above a beginner, but definitely new to the speck call game. Thought I was getting pretty good... until I started watching some YouTube vids of the comp guys. Not sure how difficult some of the nicer speck calls can be for a spoonbill like me to run. I've heard a ton of good things about Riceland, seems like most people around here that hunt specks hard blow these, but I feel that could be biased since they're a local deal. Looking at the RCC poly now, and the RNT barbelly. Can anyone change my mind?
Old 08-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

riceland poly is a very good call. very easy to operate too. Dont watch pro videos and compare yourself they have been blowing a lot longer than you or me. I've found if I recorded myself and played it back I could see where I need work. hand position is everything when blowing a speck call
Old 08-27-2015, 08:10 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Calls them specks in baw

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/...onize-angling/
Old 08-27-2015, 08:10 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

RCC poly is probably your best bang for you buck.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:13 AM
Great White

Just use electronic calls. Super easy and only illegal if you get caught lol
Old 08-27-2015, 08:17 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
I need that to tie behind my gang rigged mojo floater pull cord. Get every water turkey in the parish to come decoy..
Old 08-27-2015, 08:24 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 673

Prejudiced, yes. Chien Kie. Produced in Gueydan by the Saltzmans. Been using one for over 20 years.

These are no nonsense calls. Durable. Best thing is you can talk "spec" with one.

The other new calls are good and sound good to me; however, I am not a specklebelly.

Duck Festival is this weekend. Go to the Goose Calling contest. You should be able to get a wealth of first hand information there.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:29 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Just use electronic calls. Super easy and only illegal if you get caught lol
ILLEGAL??? I would NEVER do anything illegal or unethical while hunting waterfowl.. just for the record lol
Old 08-27-2015, 08:33 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Prejudiced, yes. Chien Kie. Produced in Gueydan by the Saltzmans. Been using one for over 20 years.

These are no nonsense calls. Durable. Best thing is you can talk "spec" with one.

The other new calls are good and sound good to me; however, I am not a specklebelly.

Duck Festival is this weekend. Go to the Goose Calling contest. You should be able to get a wealth of first hand information there.
I've heard a lot of old timers talk about these. My fiancée's birthday is Saturday, I seriously doubt I can convince her that the best place to spend it at is in Gueydan lol. I'd love to check it out though. Curious about the duck calling contests. Do they do a meat style?
Old 08-27-2015, 08:34 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post

chien caille... just sayin

great sounding calls but not as easy to blow as the rcc's
Old 08-27-2015, 08:47 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
I've heard a lot of old timers talk about these. My fiancée's birthday is Saturday, I seriously doubt I can convince her that the best place to spend it at is in Gueydan lol. I'd love to check it out though. Curious about the duck calling contests. Do they do a meat style?
calling contest is sunday
Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 AM
Flounder

Cash: 564

SKG Game Calls in Lafayette makes some nice calls for not much money. I've only heard his duck calls but I'm pretty sure he builds speck calls too.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:03 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Under 100 go with chien caille. I use a redbone but they are high end but my chien caille is still hanging on my lanyard for backup. I bought my dad a rice land poly for Christmas a couple years and the tone was terrible. He now has a redbone also. If you do get a chien and it's hard to blow mervis will make it blow however you want.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Flounder

Cash: 986

I run nothing but redbone goose calls,but I do agree that a Riceland poly is a good product for the price range indicated

I also agree that it is unrealistic to compare yourself to the top shelf guys being that you are just starting out

I ran chien caille for 20 years,then started with redbone in the prototype stages in 2006

Just remember that there are many stages one must go through to attain the necessary air control skills needed to run like what is seen on you tube

It is a progression,nobody just takes a call from the package and rips off a 90 second comp routine or immediately can mimic a specific goose on the spot,takes time and practice hours---countless---I have lived it
Old 08-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

Chien Caille got the best one I've ever used. Mine is the older style and the newer ones are a little different but still very good. Probably find an old one somehwere if you look.
Difficult until you get used to em, but put alot of backpressure on that sucker and if you catch a group of like 4 or less, they seem to like it.

The cheap clear plastic Haydel's speck call works very well also, real nasal sounding.

Speck calls and a whistle are all I bother bringing out anymore as the widgeon and the speck are the only ones that seem to have anything to say when I talk!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:16 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Under 100 go with chien caille. I use a redbone but they are high end but my chien caille is still hanging on my lanyard for backup. I bought my dad a rice land poly for Christmas a couple years and the tone was terrible. He now has a redbone also. If you do get a chien and it's hard to blow mervis will make it blow however you want.
Shouldve got with Myers or Daniels. Ive heard they will make it right if you have problems
Old 08-27-2015, 09:16 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

If you have the extra money laying around, just get a RedBone. Very realistic sounding calls straight out of the mailbox. Pricey, but in the end, it will be very beneficial. Plus, RedBone sends out an instructional DVD on the How to's. Worth every penny right there. I run a Redbone as well, so I am very biased. But, I was in your position once and then I heard one in the blind... From then on, that's what I wanted to sound like!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Redbone the best IMO. Don't really like the Riceland poly.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Tripletail

Some people I know were partnered up with SKG. I blew several of the duck calls, didn't know he made a spec call. All the duck calls were just echo inserts with a hand turned barrel then. Poly RCC is looking like the top candidate now
Old 08-27-2015, 10:08 AM
Tripletail

The only calls I've ever owned was the orange Haydels, and a Banded Poly I got for free. Been keeping the Banded one on my lanyard, but keep in mind I usually only get a few chances per season at specks, hence the reason I don't want to spend 150 bones on one.