SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:02 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 1,110
Headknocker Crappie fishing at CHICKEN COOP

If you plan to fish the chicken coop you should beware of the west or north west and north wind. It can be a nighmare if these conditions are present. You first need to take your electronics and find the edge of the river. This part is critcal, You will have to find natural strucure ( BRUSH) near the edge off river drop and fish near the bottom.You will catch catfish, bar fish and crappie. The crappie bite is very soft and lite. So it is best to hold the pole in your handand watch for a light lighe bend in your pole. Good luck COONS GUIDE SERVICE
Old 01-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 569

Thanks for the tips. I'll post up a report tomorrow afternoon. Wind is supposed to be out of the southwest tomorrow so shouldn't be as hazardous as it has been the past few days. Is there someplace between Many and the Pendleton bridge to buy shiners?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 1,110
Default crappie bait

You can get bait at the int. of hwy 6 @ hwy 191 on the right if you are comming from Many LA. COON
Old 01-18-2014, 04:52 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 569

So I picked up minnows at the gas station at the intersection of HWY 6 and 191 (LA side).

Put in around 7 at the west end of the bridge as someone told me Newell's could get crowded and I didn't want to take the chance of not finding room to launch. Were fishing by about 7:30. Fished multiple places along the coop area where all the other boats were. Fished at multiple depths and at different depths in the water column. Managed two palm sized crappie and a early released catfish for the ~6 hours of effort. Not what I would call fast and furious. Reminds me of why I stick to the salt water.

We didn't speak to anyone who had done better. In fact, everyone else we talked to had been skunked.

On guy said he thought they were already moving to shallower water. Another said they don't school real well unless the water level is down and the water level isn't down because they aren't running the generators right now. I have no way of knowing whether any of that is true, I can just tell you the fishing was pretty poor.