SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 12-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734
Default Picking a Rod

been fumbling around here reading this and that. decided I wanted a new pole. I have my two fav poles on the boat, PENN.....something, but I think I want something different. If I was just going with another Penn Id just go grab it inspect it and go. But that got me thinking after reading some pole threads.

HOW DO YOU PICK A POLE?

The Penn poles I use are about 80$ but I have picked up 40$ poles and 240$ and couldn't feel the difference. The things I look for are construction, how well the eyes are made, how well they are attached, are they straight, how flexible the pole is, not to stiff, not to soft. How it feels when slinging it, how well the grips are attached and what they are made of (just me but I prefer cork) one piece or two, I don't use 2 piece poles. I look at how the reel will attach, nothing worse the a nice feeling pole, and the reel mounting is crap.

what are your eyes looking for in a pole?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

those $40 penn rods at wallyworld are total crap, they break everytime you hook onto a red with em.

my neighbor went through 4 of em in 3 weeks, 2 on one trip

penn isnt the same quality I used to think they were
Old 12-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

well if you couldn't feel a difference, you must have grabbed a crappy 240 rod, because usually the difference is crazy. Maybe next time try fishing with a 40 versus a 240, you'll know the difference lol

Stick to Fuji components, and you won't complain for reel seats and eyes. Don't but a duckett ghost incase you were looking. They are light and have good sensitivity, but you'll wear down those eyes. I have grooves in mine that have cut my line, which is not fun when throwing $9 dollar baits. Mine is sitting in the garage with no reel, it'll probably waste away right there too
Old 12-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
those $40 penn rods at wallyworld are total crap, they break everytime you hook onto a red with em.

my neighbor went through 4 of em in 3 weeks, 2 on one trip

penn isnt the same quality I used to think they were
I agree on those. the Penns I have came from my local fish/tackle shop now that I looked them up they were 93$ caught many reds on em I don't buy any gear from hell........... or I mean walmart
Old 12-29-2014, 02:33 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
well if you couldn't feel a difference, you must have grabbed a crappy 240 rod, because usually the difference is crazy. Maybe next time try fishing with a 40 versus a 240, you'll know the difference lol

Stick to Fuji components, and you won't complain for reel seats and eyes. Don't but a duckett ghost incase you were looking. They are light and have good sensitivity, but you'll wear down those eyes. I have grooves in mine that have cut my line, which is not fun when throwing $9 dollar baits. Mine is sitting in the garage with no reel, it'll probably waste away right there too
Had the same thing happen to mine. Bought it from tacklewarehouse.com and they ended up replacing it with a new terex model for 30 bucks more. Awesome rod so far,they are about 150 bucks normally.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ducke...page-DTXC.html
Old 12-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:

My ghost came with recoil guides. It's a solid rod. It's my redfish rod.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
My ghost came with recoil guides. It's a solid rod. It's my redfish rod.
I'm not sure what it came with, but I'd imagine they would be the same. Get ready, they will wear lol I used mine for double rigs for trout and traps for bass, that was it. Caught the hell out the trout with it for a while, and that's what seemed to do it. I wasn't even using braid.. can't imagine what braid would have done to it.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Ling

Quote:
I'm not sure what it came with, but I'd imagine they would be the same. Get ready, they will wear lol I used mine for double rigs for trout and traps for bass, that was it. Caught the hell out the trout with it for a while, and that's what seemed to do it. I wasn't even using braid.. can't imagine what braid would have done to it.
Are these the guides that mess up ?
I don't see how you could wear out a metal guide but I will peep when I get home for any wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1419882792677.jpg (36.7 KB, 280 views)
Old 12-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Ling

Quote:
Are these the guides that mess up ?
I don't see how you could wear out a metal guide but I will peep when I get home for any wear.

That's them! They would cut my line lifting a 14" trout into the boat sometimes. Reason why I stopped using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Ling

Hmmm I've caught a ton of bulls on it and big Jacks. All braid no problems yet.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Ling

Don't use it that much only when trout fishing with live or chunking baits for reds.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Mine wore out the guides and started cutting the line too. I was using braid though. They use some kind of hard chrome insert.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Ling

Quote:
Hmmm I've caught a ton of bulls on it and big Jacks. All braid no problems yet.
dang.. consider yourself lucky lol
Old 12-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Redfish

Cash: 692

I could get by with 4 rods for all my speckled trout and redfish fishing.

A 7 foot medium light spinning rod for popping corks. 30 lb braid. Fast action tip to pop all day.

7 foot medium casting rod for 1/16-1/4 oz jigheads tight line, rattle traps, mirrolures, small cranks and top waters. 12 lb mono. Smooth parabolic action to keep those trout lips whole.

7 foot medium heavy casting rod for big topwaters, spoons, rattle traps, mirrolures, 3/8 or 1/2 oz jigheads. 15 lb mono. A little heavier for those larger lures.

8 foot medium spinning rod for sliding corks and bottom fishing. 40lb braid ( so I can outcast and annoy my partner lol)

I've since added a dedicated crankbait rod bc I love cranking reds but in all honesty I could make do without it. It's more of a convience thing having everything already tied up and not having to stop and retie.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:01 PM
Redfish

Cash: 896

Good components are important. It's hard to go wrong with Fuji guides and reel seats. If you're rough on your equipment, consider double foot guides. The rod should have enough guides so the line follows the rod when loaded without any real sharp angles through any of the guides.

I like a rod that balances well with the reel I'll be using . . . slightly tip heavy for tip down retrieves, and slightly butt heavy for working a topwater.

Rear grip length is important. Too long and it can get caught in your shirt or rain jacket; too short and it is hard to brace against your forearm when fighting a bigger fish.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwentfishing504 View Post
i could get by with 4 rods for all my speckled trout and redfish fishing.

A 7 foot medium light spinning rod for popping corks. 30 lb braid. Fast action tip to pop all day.

7 foot medium casting rod for 1/16-1/4 oz jigheads tight line, rattle traps, mirrolures, small cranks and top waters. 12 lb mono. Smooth parabolic action to keep those trout lips whole.

7 foot medium heavy casting rod for big topwaters, spoons, rattle traps, mirrolures, 3/8 or 1/2 oz jigheads. 15 lb mono. A little heavier for those larger lures.

8 foot medium spinning rod for sliding corks and bottom fishing. 40lb braid ( so i can outcast and annoy my partner lol)

i've since added a dedicated crankbait rod bc i love cranking reds but in all honesty i could make do without it. It's more of a convience thing having everything already tied up and not having to stop and retie.
great post!
Old 12-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,507

I only use Ugly Stixs. I had one issue when the line rapped around the tip the same time a jack cravelle decided to go ape **** over my lure and well as you would figure, it destroyed my rod, BUT... Ugly Stix sent me a new rod shortly after contacting them. I use the G2X medium action 6' rod for trout and redfish.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Redfish

Cash: 692

What are your poles now (actions and length)?

What do you want to do with your new rod?