SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 02-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,379
Default Custom molds

Ok I'm looking into making a certain type of anchor for kayaks. It would be about 3-6 pounds but I would like to pour them my self. What companies could I contact about getting a single or maybe 3-5 molds made so that I can just pour them on my own time. I know I can get molds for lures but this would be bigger at 5'' wide and 3'' deep and would be circular. Not sure where this should be posted. Any of you guys that pour their own molds have any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul V.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

most molds are made of aluminum so you need a solid chunk to cut in half then drill out the areas until you get the size and shape you are happy with. you have to melt enough lead to pour it all at once and that's a lot of work and dangerous fooling around with pouring that much lead.

the anchors you buy are way too cheap to make making your own worth the effort IMO.

take a look at tome of these you can buy that might fit what you are looking for: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/5-lb-anchor
Old 02-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354
Default custom molds

don't know what your looking to spend but any good machine shop should be able to make you one .
Old 02-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,379

Was thinking of the same thing about a machine shop and am in talks with one right now. I already have two distinct anchors that a lot of other kayakers would like to have. I'm looking at producing these type of anchors b/c I cut these out of an old farm disc plow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834
Default Custom molds

If you are going to produce for retail, a professional shop will be the best bet. Try a pump foundry/shop who does cast iron. There is one in Port Arthur, TX. Standard Alloys. That shop makes pump cases for the industries. May be a good place to start instead of having a huge chunk of billet machined to make a mold. Machine shops machine, foundries cast. Hope you make millions.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Better get a big check ready if you plan to have a mold machined. Plenty mold/die shops in Alabama that know what they are doing. Oilfield to my knowledge doesn't have any machines fast enough to cut aluminum properly. Products liability coverage will be necessary if you want to sell to the West Marines/Cabelas/Bass Pro's of the world, they will also require a 1mill - 5mill umbrella over the GL. If anchor is unique, might want to work on a patent ($5,000-$10,000) since the big boys will easily copy once it's on the market.
Good Luck