SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 05-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807
Default Rod and tackle storage question

Me and one of my buddies were talking the other day about storing rods and tackle . He just got a new boat and he's gonna park it in his shop that is uninsulated and will prolly get to 115* this summer. We were discussing if he should leave all his gear in his new Nitro or take it out and put it back every time he goes fishing. I said he should take it out cuz all his soft plastics would melt and it would dry rot his line, anything over room temp is too high. He's still on the fence about it..

What do y'all think? What is the magic temperature not to go over?
Old 05-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

well I take everything out and put it in a open rod closet I made for them out of 2x2 frame and 1/2" plywood sides top and bottom.

the trolling motor sits in a wooden 2x6 caddy in the middle and the rods stand up with the tips sticking through 1 1/2" holes drilled in the plywood top so nothing falls over and everything stays where you put it. I have fresh water rods on one side and saltwater rods on the other.

I find leaving stuff in the boat gets messy with mold and mildew or plastics melting into corks and such. it also lets me take what style and type rods I need for how im fishing that day so I don't have rods banging around in the boat im not using. if hes got stuff like bait bags or organizers that keep everything separate then I guess its ok to leave in the boat since it wont be any hotter then in your garage but the mold and mildew is a concern with anything left in the boat all the time.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

I have two Rubbermaid totes. One is freshwater gear and one saltwater. I keep everything in a a spare closet, rods included. This also makes it easy if I want to go fishing with someone else. At the last minute you can grab a tote and go.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:41 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

i live in a "beach" house on pilings with a enclosed bottom. i hang my rods overhead on j hooks. they are directly under the bedroom and are some what climate controlled by the transmitted heat/cool from the floor above. 17 yrs like this with no problem. my neighbor does the same thing only his lower floor is opened to the weather. walled, but not insulated. his stuff gets condensation and mold/mildew. i never take the trolling motor off the boat.