SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds)

The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds) Discuss investing and investments here! Do your own due diligence before investing. We are not responsible for any advice or recommendations within this forum!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,502
Default Stock market beginner tips

After kicking the idea around for a while, I've got some money set aside that I'm going to invest in the stock market .. I don't have much experience here and I'm very new to this

What are some tips you guys could share and which resources would you recommend for your info
Old 06-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

for me, i wouldn't trust anyone giving advice from here for this sort of stuff without some pretty serious fact checking on their credentials.

I would speak to close friends and family and have them recommend an investment adviser to you, someone that has a proven track record with people you know and trust.. (yes they are going to bend you over for fees etc) then if you watch how they work your money, you in turn can learn how to work it for yourself.

Just my opinion..
Old 06-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Get a Broker
Old 06-11-2014, 05:41 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
for me, i wouldn't trust anyone giving advice from here for this sort of stuff without some pretty serious fact checking on their credentials.

I would speak to close friends and family and have them recommend an investment adviser to you, someone that has a proven track record with people you know and trust.. (yes they are going to bend you over for fees etc) then if you watch how they work your money, you in turn can learn how to work it for yourself.

Just my opinion..
definately ... I wasnt asking for specific buy/sell tips, it was more about resources that I can use for my own research
Old 06-11-2014, 05:45 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Get a Broker
already decided on going this route .. and I plan on using him alot lol
Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 AM
Flounder

Cash: 641

Here is my advice before investing anything in the stock market.

1. Have clear and defined goals both broad based (long term) and specific ( short term for individual investments). Do you want rapid growth, capital preservation, or long term growth?

2. Be honest with yourself and know your tolerance for risk. Is it ok with you to lose some money or even all of an investment?You might be surprised where you really stand on this. If the money you put aside isn't disposable or if you will need it in the next year or two then don't invest.

3. Diversify. It is easy in LA to invest in a single sector like stocks affiliated with oil and gas but then if the sector goes down you lose a chunk.

4. Invest in high quality dividend paying stocks if you want the best hedge against risk.

5. Have less than 20% in speculative stocks. Very few stocks make it big.

6. Be realistic and not greedy. A 30% return and cash out is better than a loss. Have defined entry points into a stock and defined exit points. Knowing when to sell is better many times than knowing when to buy.

7. I suggest using an online brokerage firm. I use Scottrade. Brokers make their living from commissions made from buying and selling stocks. High commissions and fees mean less money for you especially if you trade frequently.

Just some suggestions.
Robbie aka Big Hutch