SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 08-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,022
Default Old River Batchelor, LA

I fished Old River today and the Goo seem to be where the bass were last weekend. Did get lucky and used H&H microspins to catch a few catfish for a small fish fry.

Picture of Goo in my bass hole

Picture of the Catfish that caught on H&H microspin
Old 08-28-2011, 08:56 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

nice catch, I never fished old river, but Its been a suggested bass spots a couple times during the year.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

nice catch
Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Trophy Trout

LPfishnTim Old River does have bass, but it is a hard place to fish.
Most people fish close to the bank and bigger fish school up on points a little farther out. The goo/drum tell me alot on one section I fish. The goo are typically alittle closer to the bank, so I back off and fish deeper with DD22's and deep diving rapala.

Most people will laugh but the best baits I find that mimic the shad at Old River are Zoom Arkansas Shad tiny flukes. Right bait, Right color, Right size, and it works.
I carolina rig it on a size 1 or size 2 not 1/0 but size 1 or 2. Usually start on bank right now 3ft to about 20ft out drops slowly to 4ft and ok get alot of bumps on goo. Tells me to back off 20ft and slowly drops 4ft to 7ft and work bait back to boat bam caught a little bass. Then I remember the area I got the bite and work it parallel to the bank. Right conditions and you can really rack up some bass in the fall or late summer when the bass are feeding on shad. I caught bass up to 7lbs on this lure out of old river.

When early in morning I may go to Rapala Count Down number 7 or 5 when the bass bust right under the surface and won't hit a rattle trap or crankbait. Actually learned this trick from Roland Martin when I was asking him questions at a bass event a few years back. Does well and caught some nice bass on this lure and always keep a few in the box.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

I miss fishin there. Old River and the Spillway would be the only places my Paw Paw would want to fish. He hated False River, so we'd keep going to Old River Landing and shoot right across from there. I used to do really good w/ an old H&H white spinner bait early in the morning along the bank and a Plum Crazy 4" worm or Tequila Sunrise Craw Worm later in the day fishing the outside trees. Then I'd trow the ultralight and hang a few of those hoss bream and sacs on a Beetle Spin. Good times fo sho!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Redfish

Cash: 774

I have a friend of mine that has a camp round there. We've caught some nice catfish in there. Nice catch! I talked to ma buddy an they went perch jerkin an loaded up in just a little while.

Last edited by popawillieq; 09-20-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Hit the wrong button
Old 09-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Got some nice sacalait over der too
Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

I fished the red river around there saturday for a couple hours in the evening, it was difficult to fish, caught one on a crank bait, ghost shad 200 series bandit. where do you launch, I know of the landing off hwy15 by the lock.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Have fished many a tournament there. Have fished a many of day there other than tournaments. It can yield some of the finest stringers of bass you've ever laid eyes on! You gotta know the place. You gotta know the river stages also. Have won several tourney's there in the heat of summer. DEEEEEPPPPP!!!!! Just like you said....DD22's or I like a Hildabrant #4 or #5 gold willow leaf & count it down around the houseboats, but better bring a sack full cause you will lose plenty.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Trophy Trout

LPfishnTIM

take LA 1 past Morganza locks and 1st right take that hwy LA 972. Take you to the Levee for Old River. Take Left and you will see sign for Old River Landing which landing I been using for years and cross the levee. Don't know if Peggy D's which further down is, but I use Old River landing. If you pass hwy 972 there is a convience store next to the feed store in Batchelor. Take right if coming from Baton Rouge and it will take you to the same levee just futher down. Take Right at road next to levee and it will take you past the landing. Website http://oldriverlanding.com/

You went futher down never did much on bass usually catfish.
Now further down at Three rivers LDWLF Management Area has a few good lakes like sunken lake, but its all about river levels.

wtretrievers
I love DD22's and found some on sale at Academy in Harahan one day for .88 cents each stocked up. I lose alot, but that lure caught me some fish over the years.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Redfish

Cash: 774

We usually head towards the narrows and set lines an do a little tightlinein'. I'm not much of a bass fisherman.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsch1 View Post
LPfishnTim Old River does have bass, but it is a hard place to fish.
Most people fish close to the bank and bigger fish school up on points a little farther out. The goo/drum tell me alot on one section I fish. The goo are typically alittle closer to the bank, so I back off and fish deeper with DD22's and deep diving rapala.

Most people will laugh but the best baits I find that mimic the shad at Old River are Zoom Arkansas Shad tiny flukes. Right bait, Right color, Right size, and it works.
I carolina rig it on a size 1 or size 2 not 1/0 but size 1 or 2. Usually start on bank right now 3ft to about 20ft out drops slowly to 4ft and ok get alot of bumps on goo. Tells me to back off 20ft and slowly drops 4ft to 7ft and work bait back to boat bam caught a little bass. Then I remember the area I got the bite and work it parallel to the bank. Right conditions and you can really rack up some bass in the fall or late summer when the bass are feeding on shad. I caught bass up to 7lbs on this lure out of old river.

When early in morning I may go to Rapala Count Down number 7 or 5 when the bass bust right under the surface and won't hit a rattle trap or crankbait. Actually learned this trick from Roland Martin when I was asking him questions at a bass event a few years back. Does well and caught some nice bass on this lure and always keep a few in the box.
Thanks for the detailed info! I have never fished the area, but I am sure other members have. Thanks for the report, those catfish are gonna be tasty!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich View Post
Thanks for the detailed info! I have never fished the area, but I am sure other members have. Thanks for the report, those catfish are gonna be tasty!
X2 thats some good info..