SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542
Default Ants

How in the Hell do I get rid of these things? They have piles all over my yard and now they've made their way into my house. I've tried Triazicide numerous times but it hasn't helped at all. Bout to light the damn yard on fire!!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

They bad up here too bro. It was all good till we started getting rain. Now they are popping up like pimples on a teenager. I hate them bustards. Was enough of them on my back patio the other night to pack off a bulldozer.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Flounder

Cash: 683

Are they crazy ants.? Don't really follow a path, just go everywhere? Had to call an exterminator to spray and he only has a 3 month guarantee. Everything I spayed didn't work either.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

I use Acephate very successfully. you can get it at feed stores and the like. I mix mine 50/50 with corn meal. It goes much farther this way. don't put too much cause it will kill your grass
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Redfish

Cash: 893

talstar granules. you can get it at pest stop in lafayette on kaliste saloom. or you can order online for half the price.http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ta...ules-p-47.html
i have a todler allergic to ants and this wipes them out for about 6 months depending on the amount of rain we get
Old 10-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Redfish

Cash: 893

i also spray suspend every three months at my house. used to have j&j do it for $75
this is the same product they use and it costs me about $5 per application
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/suspend-sc-p-40.html
Old 10-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed32 View Post
talstar granules. you can get it at pest stop in lafayette on kaliste saloom. or you can order online for half the price.http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ta...ules-p-47.html
i have a todler allergic to ants and this wipes them out for about 6 months depending on the amount of rain we get
That's my main concern. We spend a lot of time outside with my youngin and he always gets into them things. Poor thing already learned to find water when they get him.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

Read an article the other day, termite poison will kill them, even the crazy ants.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Redfish

Cash: 854

Talstar granules broadcast your whole yard and ant free for six months. Buy mine at Keeling on Johnston street just before Maurice on left.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 609

Talstar works great. Helena Chemical in Duson, Morse, or Pine Island has it. About $30 for 25 lb bag.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

I sell talstar at my nursery. It is a very good product for fire ants and many other pests. Also Extinguish is very very effective. It is actually a bait they bring back to the nest and kills them all. Im sure this is what your talking about because you referred to mounds. The crazy ants are a whole other problem. When they take over, they will eat the fire ants and just about any other insect in its path. They do not make mounds, they just nest under just about anything laying in the yard. They have multiple queens per nest, reproduce like rabbits. They very rarely sting, but can cause some serious damage to electrical components. They are becoming a very bad nuisance. Until now there has been very little to combat them. Sure you can spray, and kill the ones you spray, but tomorrow there will be thousands more. They have little interest in all the baits so far. I just came back from a trade show, and finally found a company out there that has figured out what they like. They love high protein. So, this company has finally come out with a bait that works. Another product that works well as a barrier to keep them out of the house is termidor. It is also the best termite spray on the market right now. They said for best results, use the termidor as a perimeter barrier around you structures, and the bait out in the yard. I have both on order right now. We have some big problems with the crazies down here right now.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Permethrin. Will rid your yard of all insect life for 2 weeks.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Flounder

Cash: 633

Talstar.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder2200 View Post
Talstar granules broadcast your whole yard and ant free for six months. Buy mine at Keeling on Johnston street just before Maurice on left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makomark View Post
Talstar works great. Helena Chemical in Duson, Morse, or Pine Island has it. About $30 for 25 lb bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
I sell talstar at my nursery. It is a very good product for fire ants and many other pests. Also Extinguish is very very effective. It is actually a bait they bring back to the nest and kills them all. Im sure this is what your talking about because you referred to mounds. The crazy ants are a whole other problem. When they take over, they will eat the fire ants and just about any other insect in its path. They do not make mounds, they just nest under just about anything laying in the yard. They have multiple queens per nest, reproduce like rabbits. They very rarely sting, but can cause some serious damage to electrical components. They are becoming a very bad nuisance. Until now there has been very little to combat them. Sure you can spray, and kill the ones you spray, but tomorrow there will be thousands more. They have little interest in all the baits so far. I just came back from a trade show, and finally found a company out there that has figured out what they like. They love high protein. So, this company has finally come out with a bait that works. Another product that works well as a barrier to keep them out of the house is termidor. It is also the best termite spray on the market right now. They said for best results, use the termidor as a perimeter barrier around you structures, and the bait out in the yard. I have both on order right now. We have some big problems with the crazies down here right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Talstar.

I use Talstar 3 times a year, ants don't even think about coming in my yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
Permethrin. Will rid your yard of all insect life for 2 weeks.

I spray this for spiders.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Redfish

Cash: 767

Just sprayed mine yesterday evening. I use Bifen IT, can get it at the feed stores. About $70 a gallon, but 1 oz. of Bifen makes 1 gallon of spray. I spray twice a year using a lil boom sprayer on my 4 wheeler. If there's a mound. I treat it by spray soaking the mound good, then swap over to the boom and spray everything I mow. I use to constantly fight ant piles spending $$ on treating all those mounds. Found out treating the whole yard does the trick. That stuff gets in the dirt and they don't like it.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
I use Talstar 3 times a year, ants don't even think about coming in my yard.

I spray this for spiders.
Spray your whole yard with it. But make sure to get the whole thing. You'll be able to frolick on your yard without a care in the world, but don't go to your neighbors. lol
Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
Wow! I kept hearing how bad they were going to be when they got here and now they are really here and in force I guess
Old 10-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

A tree hugger friend of mine told me to use regular dish soap and mix with hot water and pour it on top the mound and around the mound to get any that are not in the mound. It really works and doesn't kill your grass and its cheap. You can also use this same concoction to kill wasps and bees. It clogs em up and they die.

disclaimer: I have never used said concoction on wasps/bees/yellow jackets because I know that diesel works great and usually have some
Old 10-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Ling

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I sprayed what I had left of the Triazicide last night but it sounds like Talstar i swhat I need to get.

DB I've used soap and water on wasp several times. I have tons of wasp in my shed and my barn so I'll go through a few cans in a day. My grandma showed me the soap and water trick and it works better than the Green Thumb crap they sell at True Value. You have to hit them at night when they're all at the nest.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I sprayed what I had left of the Triazicide last night but it sounds like Talstar i swhat I need to get.

DB I've used soap and water on wasp several times. I have tons of wasp in my shed and my barn so I'll go through a few cans in a day. My grandma showed me the soap and water trick and it works better than the Green Thumb crap they sell at True Value. You have to hit them at night when they're all at the nest.

Get the granules and spread them with a broadcast spreader. Go into your neighbors yard with it a little.