SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > DIY Forum

DIY Forum This forum is for discussion of Do-It-Yourself projects, including home building and remodeling, automotive repair, etc.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Sanding Painted Wall Advice Needed

I'm currently repainting walls of my house and I was advised to sand the walls because my primer coat didn't go as planned.

(Long story but I used incorrect roller for primer which laid down the worst paint/primer job I have ever laid eyes on, the coverage is inconsistent and has too much texture. After priming I'm using Sherwin Williams Duration Satin Finish)

Soo I have the room sealed up, with exhaust fan ready and I'm about to sand away.

How many of y'all sand painted walls before painting? (not including drywall repairs) I think it will defiantly improve the final product but it's going to be a mess.

I'm looking into wall and ceiling sanders with suction for future projects and wondering how well they perform; how much dust is actually caught?

BTW- Sherwan Williams in Lake Charles is having a big sale tomorrow, so the super expensive paint is now affordable.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:13 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

Let us know how it turns out. I have a room that I need to do this also.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
Let us know how it turns out. I have a room that I need to do this also.
I sanded the room with 100 grit, it was a PITA but it really helped. I need to follow up with 180 grit before then I'm ready to prime. I did have a nice suction going with a sealed off box fan in the window, sealed doorways and AC vent.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I probably should have laid plastic on the entire room and knocked out the popcorn ceiling at the same time.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,062

You can buy a hand sanding attachment that hooks to a shop vac. My father is a painting contractor and we would use that setup when working in homes. If you use it with a good filter, it would catch almost all of the dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2016, 06:35 AM
Redfish

Cash: 837

And don't go down to the paper or you'll have to skim coat with mud.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:02 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokcj5 View Post
And don't go down to the paper or you'll have to skim coat with mud.
I had plenty of sanding before I would hit paper, the wall had 2 previous colors.

I finished painting the room today, it turned out nice. Now on to the door casings, baseboards and one day crown molding.

The project was labor intensive and time consuming but the walls look very clean.

I sanded everything with 100 grit on a pole sander and drywall hand sander. These tools were effective but I'm not sure I would use them again. (I hate wearing any kind of mask unless I'm underwater)

After the 100 grit pass, I revoved dust, cleaned walls then wet sanded everything else after that point. I used the foam sanding blocks and thin 3M sanding pads. I have very little experience wet sanding and was pleasantly surprised in how well the wet sanding pads performed. (Plus I wasn't making anymore dust and didn't need the mask anymore)